Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tax Rebate

Down here on the Iowa\Missouri border we buy 7 dollar 5ths of Hawkeye Vodka. They get me ALOTTA places. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

I just kinda puked in my mouth a little. Too many rough nights with it. I go with BV now unless I'm lookin for a sweeter mixer. Ohhh that Hawkeye. For some reason all it makes me think about is high school, haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleDropTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HOOOOYAH.

Actually,you putting your money into a savings account will go towards foreign companies.What do banks do with money from customers?They loan it out yes BUT they also hire professionals to reinvest it in the stock markets.And right now it is the international markets that are drawing better interest rates,thus that is where "your" money will end up.The bank will pay you .5 to MAYBE 1% on a savings account and then go out and get 10-12% or better in stocks and bonds......do the math,not a good place to put money..... </div></div>

You are right. I will stick mine in the sock drawer. </div></div>

Fine...I'll bury mine in the yard in a peanut butter jar and get it out when I'm 50. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The savings accounts is better than spending it and that's what I was getting at - the point was to defeat the purpose of getting the check.....

This "stimulus package" is going to do nothing to stimulate the economy in the long term. Precious metals might not be a bad thing to spend your cash on. At least you can stay ahead of inflations as our dollar continues to be devalued.

I'm enjoying reading the responses.

One thing I'd throw out there hasn't hasn't been mentioned yet is to use the money to fund an IRA. You can put up to $4k per year into an IRA, more than that if you're over 50 or 55. Doing this in addition to funding a 401k or other retirement investing is a great thing to keep in mind. The cash is hard to part with up front, but since you never had this tax rebate in your pocket to begin with you won't miss it.

Also, keep in mind that paying off a dollar of debt is like saving two. Math doesn't always back that up...but it's a great saying to go by.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bukket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm enjoying reading the responses.</div></div>

Me too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bukket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I'd throw out there hasn't hasn't been mentioned yet is to use the money to fund an IRA. </div></div>

I think an IRA would be a good option.

Or for those with children, you might consider an Iowa 529 or similar plan.

Paying down debt is always a good move.

If you bury it in your back yard, when you dig it up in 20 years, inflation will have reduced it drastically.

Placing it in a savings account with the interest rates they are paying right now, you'd probably lose money to inflation like burying it in the back yard, though not quite as bad.

Buying precious metals? Right now precious metals are extremely high and I'd follow the stock market investment "rule": buy low, sell high. In other words, you might have missed the boat on metals.

Some people are trading dollars for Euros or other foreign currency. This might be worthwhile for those who really want to learn about it and heavily manage their "investments".

Like everything, it's probably best not to "put all your eggs in one basket".

I don't know about Iowa but I know in Minnesota there are state matching contributions for the 529. That is something to think about. Getting more for your money. Like Shoot2Kill said, my daughters $300 will probally go into some sort of college savings for her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bukket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm enjoying reading the responses.</div></div>

Paying down debt is always a good move.

If you bury it in your back yard, when you dig it up in 20 years, inflation will have reduced it drastically.

Placing it in a savings account with the interest rates they are paying right now, you'd probably lose money to inflation like burying it in the back yard, though not quite as bad.

</div></div>

Well stated!

I must admit my initial reaction to hearing of this windfall was to browse online for all the new 2008 bows.

My money will be split between Fidelity and a new roof. Diversification of my investments never saw such a sound example!!!

Mine will be paying debt, wish it was a new bow though. College loans are rough especially when the interest rates on these are some of the few not dropping much, just had a slight decrease in interest on them and its still at 8.9% ouch.

Back up bow --&gt; probably a Trykon XL, the old Q2 just might become the back up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

I'm giving mine to Charity. She's this little cutie that works down at Hooters. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Not RLY. Might do some landscaping, I will be doing my own labor so none of the money will go to illegals. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm puttin 100 of it in my pocket to drink on then throwin the other 500 on the roulette table. Putting it all on RED. If i double it up im getting a Switchback. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If i double it up im getting a Switchback </div></div>

wouldn't that mean you'd have lost?

i got my $$$ tuesday, its going to bills, maybe walmart and hyvee to stock the cupboards. might get to keep enough for myself, to pay for some eastons for deer season

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife said she got 1150 and they only sent me 50. Not real sure on how we filed our taxes this year. </div></div>

LOL! Marriage seems to never be divided evenly. Maybe this is why they call our wifes the "better half".

Received mine today. Bills, new windshied for the truck since it caught one at the ballfields. Will put some into the Coralville economy Memorial Day weekend for a baseball tourney spending at the hotel and local restaurants.

Top Bottom