Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The 2008 broadhead of choice thread

Iowabowtech

With the season drawing nearer everyday, I thought it'd be fun to share experiences with various heads, either good or bad. With all the options today, there may be some people on the fence as to what to use this year so a thread that compiles knowledge seemed like a worthy idea...

I'll be carrying Slick Trick 100 Magnums once again this year. After shooting all sorts of different brands through the years, I had major success with these last season. Fly like a field point, HUGE entry hole and a high pass through rate. Best I've found to date.

What are you carrying?

I tried the Rage 2 Blade Kool-aid last year and was very impressed. I hit a doe "back a little" early in the season and she still went down within sight. The entrance hole was enormous. The buck I shot only went 25 yards and the blood trail was was 4 ft wide. They seem to fly very well and I like that they send out a practice head with every package - although they probably should for the $$$ /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif I will use them again this year.

100gr Thunderheads and Jakhammers. I have been shooting Thunderheads for years and have had great luck with them. I wanted to try an expandable and have heard good things about Jakhammers so I picked those up and they shoot really well. Although after seeing what those machete's that Muddy shoots does to a deer, I might try those sometime. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'm going to try the G5 Striker this year. I've been a muzzy man from the beginning but haven't been too happy with their consistency lately. I've read a lot of good reviews on Archery Talk about the strikers so I thought I'd give them a shot this year.

I'm going to try Magnus Buzzcuts 100gr this year. I want to break bone! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I started using 85 gr. Thunderheads when I was 12 and used them all the way up until I was 21. I killed about ten deer with them and NONE of them made it out of sight. Although, there were a couple that I hit in a bad spot and did not find. I switched to I think it was 90 gr crossfires in 2006 and killed two deer with them. One went just out of site but only about 60 yards total. I bought the 2-blade Rage heads last year and only got to go bowhunting for 2 days last year. I hit an 8 point in the shoulder. Waited till the next day to track him and jumped him and never found him.. He ran away like nothing was wrong with him... But, I still have a lot of confidence in the Rage heads because of all the video footage I have seen with them.. So.. when ever it may be that I get to finally hunt again.. I will be using the Rage 2-Blades /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I have too many good ol' Muzzy 100 gr. three blades still left to justify getting anything else this year. Next year I might try the MX3's (I said that last year too...)

I'll be going with the Slick Trick 100gr Magnums again this year also. Might have to throw a couple expandables in the quiver too. Maybe try Piston Points again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing new here. 1 3/4" Wasp Jak-hammers. </div></div>

Yep Yep

ive been using the G5 striker for awhile now i've killed some nice bucks with it and they dont go 30 yards when i shoot them.

If I'm not shooting stone or damascus points, it's "Tusker" 180 grain Aztecs.

P1010002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I'm not shooting stone or damascus points, it's "Tusker" 180 grain Aztecs.

P1010002.jpg
</div></div>

Those look great! If that's not an arrow wrap, the cresting is excellent. I forgot to mention the longbow. I was going to try Magnus Stingers but those look sweet.

I'm pretty boring I guess, Wensel Woodsman heads again. They just keep killing deer and leaving blood to follow, why argue. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleDropTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing new here. 1 3/4" Wasp Jak-hammers. </div></div>

Yep Yep </div></div>

Yep Yep Yep

Top Bottom