Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Franz buck

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
K- now this pisses me off.... I just read article at length. Read the comments. Dude getting dragged thru the mud. How many people will read this article? 100k? Probably. This guy kills a giant on film and has to defend himself to hundreds of thousands of the public who live amongst him and these clowns already made their judgements. Apparently the court of public opinion on the Des Moines Register has already convicted him. Convicted a lot of hunters in general too. This is pretty crappy. I don't know the scoop here but the guy lost his mount and based on a whole lot of commenters - must have been picked up on "citizens arrest" - locked in the basement of the Des Moines register & being fed one small meal a day of all vegetables (as hunters to start are criminals & barbarians) Apparently he's already guilty. Give me a break.

Just to clarify- talking about the comments I read. Go to bottom and click on "comments" or whatever. What the public was saying. there was a pretty long list of messed up and crappy things the general whackos of the public had said. Unreal.

Like someone posted earlier, I think there is more to the story then what is out as of now? Some people will do whatever it takes to get their 15 minutes of fame. Hope I am wrong though.

That is exactly why I don't shoot world class deer.......and the fact I would miss if one did show up but it is just to much headache these days. ;) ;)

I know exactly what you're saying. This thread has me seeing the bright side of my miss.....:rolleyes:

A normal ag practice doesn't include mowing down or pushing over corn, but I don't see anyone getting cited for baiting deer.

The two points that I think are being overlooked are obviously if they thought they had done anything wrong they wouldn't have released the video. Less obvious but noticeable to me was the fact that he passed a shot at a broadside standing deer of that caliber at under 50 yards. That alone showed great restraint and ethics.

Been through the same thing in 2011. All because of other people's jealousy that's why I will never put another picture on social media ever again. The sport will never be the same anymore. Have to read the rule book before pulling the trigger just to make sure you don't miss the fine print.

I've always said if I was fortunate enough to shoot a "World Class or Record Buck", I don't think I'd enter it in t he books or personally show it to anyone but my friends. Sure photos would leak out and I'm sure there would be rumors. The buck I shot a few years back was posted on Facebook by Roger Raglin. I talk to Roger on the phone 3 to 5 times a year and we check in to see how are families are doing. We went to dinner and talked a lot of hours. He didn't say much in his post just a congrats and wanted to show his FB friends a pretty big deer. The comments got nasty quick and I found myself having to defend myself to people I didn't even know and that didn't know me. People that haven't harvest big deer often think the guys that do cheat.... even if they only harvested one big one. The DNR seems to believe the same, if your successful your cheating somehow....

I try to curb anything from being posted on social media. I only post my harvest stories in the PMA section, because those guys are vested in Iowawhitetail and want the same protections as me. I don't have to worry about those people scrutinizing my bucks and questioning ethics, morals, etc... They are my friends, we enjoy seeing the fruits of each others labor and there success stories.

I'm not judging nobody here and I prefer not to be judged. I will meet my true judge one day (GOD) and it isn't any of you....

Everyone has opinions on minerals, food plots, feeding, scents, bows and guns. We need to support and congratulate each other and not judge. The best thing we can do is lead by example and teach others good ethics, morals and hunting practices.

I hope nothing but the best for MR Franz. This is loose, loose for everyone but the DNR and anti-hunting agenda...

Last edited:
I've always said if I was fortunate enough to shoot a "World Class or Record Buck", I don't think I'd enter it in t he books or personally show it to anyone but my friends. Sure photos would leak out and I'm sure there would be rumors. The buck I shot a few years back was posted on Facebook by Roger Raglin. I talk to Roger on the phone 3 to 5 times a year and we check in to see how are families are doing. We went to dinner and talked a lot of hours. He didn't say much in his post just a congrats and wanted to show his FB friends a pretty big deer. The comments got nasty quick and I found myself having to defend myself to people I didn't even know and that didn't know me. People that haven't harvest big deer often think the guys that do cheat.... even if they only harvested one big one. The DNR seems to believe the same, if your successful your cheating somehow....

I try to curb anything from being posted on social media. I only post my harvest stories in the PMA section, because those guys are vested in Iowawhitetail and want the same protections as me. I don't have to worry about those people scrutinizing my bucks and questioning ethics, morals, etc... They are my friends, we enjoy seeing the fruits of each others labor and there success stories.

I'm not judging nobody here and I prefer not to be judged. I will meet my true judge one day (GOD) and it isn't any of you....

Everyone has opinions on minerals, food plots, feeding, scents, bows and guns. We need to support and congratulate each other and not judge. The best thing we can do is lead by example and teach others good ethics, morals and hunting practices.

I hope nothing but the best for MR Franz. This is loose, loose for everyone but the DNR and anti-hunting agenda...

X2. Glad to see most are supportive of this guy. Don't know him but we will see how it plays out.

X2. Glad to see most are supportive of this guy. Don't know him but we will see how it plays out.

X3. Baiting rules in Iowa are too ambiguous. And the fact that a law enforcement officer is given the power to interpret the law is wrong on so many levels. There is a reason they are called Law "enforcement" and not Law "interpreter" aka, Judge and jury. I not only hope he is acquitted (assuming he didn't do anything over the top to bait the deer) but this results in a line being drawn in the sand with the baiting. I shouldn't have to call the CO and bring him on to my land to verify if I am legal or not. I should be able to read the regs and have it be 100% clear as day!

X3. Baiting rules in Iowa are too ambiguous. And the fact that a law enforcement officer is given the power to interpret the law is wrong on so many levels. There is a reason they are called Law "enforcement" and not Law "interpreter" aka, Judge and jury. I not only hope he is acquitted (assuming he didn't do anything over the top to bait the deer) but this results in a line being drawn in the sand with the baiting. I shouldn't have to call the CO and bring him on to my land to verify if I am legal or not. I should be able to read the regs and have it be 100% clear as day!

So many things like that in the regulations that just aren't clear.

I agree with what most have posted on this subject. I think too many of the laws and regulations are too ambiguous and leave too much judgement up to the conservation officer to interpret the laws as they see fit. I spoke with multiple officers in different counties about one rule written in the booklet and there was one who had a completely different belief on the way the law was written. I even called the central office in Des Moines to confirm who was right but upon calling the officer back to inform him what the central office said he said he'd look into it but never got back to me (probably because it didn't line up with what he believed?). So when the DNR can't all agree on the way a law is written it needs to be redone so there is no question as to how to enforce it. As far as Mr. Franz I hope he is vindicated as I saw nothing on his video that would suggest he was trying to bait the deer. I reserve the right to change my mind if some other facts come to light but from what i've seen and read he seems innocent as of now. Hunters need to celebrate these big deer and congratulate the hunter and get rid of the greed. We all would like to shoot a deer like that and I hope everyone on here does but the reality is many of us will never shoot nor even see a deer of that caliber. That's why its so special. Give credit to the hunter. Not every big buck that is shot is shot illegally. I blame TV for putting the emphasis on the score of an animal instead of the journey and time spent outdoors and with family and friends. If all we are after is just a big rack we are missing out on so much more. Again I wish Mr. Franz the best of luck and hope he gets his deer back and I wish all of you a safe and fruitful November and December if necessary and just remember to treat others like you would like to be treated with dignity and respect. We all know we have enough anti-hunters we don't need to be arguing among ourselves.

So I just watched the video of this buck being shot. The video appears to be cut in the few seconds before the deer is shot with his head down. Any chance the video was cut because he had his head down on a mineral block or corn pile for an extended period of time in one spot? Why else would you edit that video right there unless you thought it looked suspicious with the deer heaving his head on the ground in one spot for an extended period.

Anyone else notice this?

it is this exact reason why there are alot of big deer that get killed that get hung on a basement wall and nobody ever knows about them, I am guessing that a neighboring property owner is pissed he didnt shoot the deer.

So I just watched the video of this buck being shot. The video appears to be cut in the few seconds before the deer is shot with his head down. Any chance the video was cut because he had his head down on a mineral block or corn pile for an extended period of time in one spot? Why else would you edit that video right there unless you thought it looked suspicious with the deer heaving his head on the ground in one spot for an extended period.

Anyone else notice this?

Very common practice to edit down for time.

Something caught my eye in that article.

"DNR spokesperson Kevin Baskins clarified the law saying, "It's any time somebody places a kind of artificial material designed to attract wildlife in their hunting zone. *We consider that bait."

A law that Franz and his lawyer Bill Kutmus feel is far too vague."

The fact that Franz and his lawyer say the law is too vague tells me they may have had something out there. They didn't dispute it. I agree with what has been previously said about mineral not mattering in the fall, but the law is law, and until that changes, we have to follow it.

Will be interesting to see what it was. Probably not a pile of corn. The founder of TP is from Iowa and knows the laws and I doubt something like that would slip through

Something caught my eye in that article.

"DNR spokesperson Kevin Baskins clarified the law saying, "It's any time somebody places a kind of artificial material designed to attract wildlife in their hunting zone. *We consider that bait."

A law that Franz and his lawyer Bill Kutmus feel is far too vague."

The fact that Franz and his lawyer say the law is too vague tells me they may have had something out there. They didn't dispute it. I agree with what has been previously said about mineral not mattering in the fall, but the law is law, and until that changes, we have to follow it.
The grey area is what they consider their hunting zone?

This is very interesting. When did he sell the land in relation to being charged? Before? After? Why sell a piece of ground like that? Did he shoot the buck he was after and sell the ground to go buy a different piece of ground with the next giant? Or did he plan on keeping the ground and sold after the charges?

Did he get suspicious the DNR was looking into it so he sold the ground so he could say the new owners put out the bait (what ever the bait may have been)?

Again, not saying guilty or innocent but it is starting to sound like the plot of a Castle episode.

This is very interesting. When did he sell the land in relation to being charged? Before? After? Why sell a piece of ground like that? Did he shoot the buck he was after and sell the ground to go buy a different piece of ground with the next giant? Or did he plan on keeping the ground and sold after the charges?

Did he get suspicious the DNR was looking into it so he sold the ground so he could say the new owners put out the bait (what ever the bait may have been)?

Again, not saying guilty or innocent but it is starting to sound like the plot of a Castle episode.

As I read the article, I came under the impression that he sold property to prepare for an expensive legal battle. Maybe I didn't read it right though. As said above, I surely find it hard to believe that those involved would knowingly do something illegal. It will be very hard for the DNR to come out of this without getting two black eyes in my opinion. You can debate baiting or not, but there is way too much grey area in the interpretation of this, and the legislature needs to do something about spelling it out. If the consensus is that it does not improve your chances, then why even make an issue of it? Why not just make it legal, and one less ambiguous thing to enforce? I've always held a lot of respect for the DNR, but I find it disturbing that they hold this mysterious "gotcha card" of interpretation after the fact.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom