Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Mighty Thor

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
Those of you who followed my elk hunting journal last summer and fall know the story of our white German shepherd Thor and his battle with cancer. After surgery and treatments, his prognosis looked great. Unfortunately, three weeks ago today, we took him to the vet because he wasn't feeling well. Chest x-rays revealed three new tumors in his chest and our vet said we had about a month, maybe two before we'd see his quality of life drop. It hasn't even been a month and we're devastated. Yesterday he woke up a completely different dog than he was Tuesday and we can't watch him suffer. I just called our vet and she is coming over at 1000 this morning to put him at peace.

He wasn't a hunting dog, but he was one of our protectors. He wasn't a fan of most guys and, as a result, most guys kept a safe distance from my family. Anyone that would have tried to come in the house uninvited would have had to shoot him to get him to release his jaws from their throat. I watched him and our female (Jake) back down groups of 20+ illegal immigrants on the US/Mexico border, including some armed bad guys. He loved being outdoors with us and was on every camping trip, fishing trip, and a few hunting trips. My favorite day of elk shed hunting had him and Jake by my side. He wasn't named after a comic book hero, but the real Norse God. His bark was his hammer and that's all he ever needed to get his point across! He's given us 10 great years of loyalty, protection, and unconditional love. I know I will spend the rest of my life trying to be the human he thought I was.

Please keep my family in your prayers, especially my daughter. She has a soccer tournament in Phoenix this weekend and we are going to have to keep ourselves strong so that we can keep her strong and focused. She is taking this news pretty hard. We all are, actually.

If you don't mind, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite pics of him over the years as a tribute to the loyal, protective dog he has been.

He loved standing next to me when I was fishing. He loved to chase the lure or fly if I was fly fishing.
picture.php

Every time I see this broken tip, it reminds me of him that day.
picture.php

A great day of shed hunting.
picture.php

This past December after a good snow storm. His demeanor and protective nature with our kids is every reason why I'll never be without at least one German shepherd in my family.
picture.php

Last edited:
So sorry to hear. Tough call to make. It is good she is coming to your place though, rather than taking him in. Over the years I have had to make that call several times and it never gets easier.

OH man...I couldn't even imagine. So sorry to hear. It is amazing what a dog can do to an individual or family. I grew up never having a dog and have a golden now for a little over 2 years now and it's amazing how much you care for them! Hang in there!

Sorry for your loss. Very pretty dog. We had a German Shepard when I was little, they are amazing dogs.

Brian,

So sorry to hear about Thor. Some great pictures and memories that you shared above, and it sounds like he has left you and your family a lifetime of memories to remember him by. Thor will forever run those mountains and forest of AZ buddy.

Kratz

Life brings tears, smiles and memories. The tears dry, the smile fades, but the memories live on forever. With deepest sympathy...

Very sorry for your loss Brian. A good dog is truly man's best friend. Just never forget the hapiness he brought to your lives.

This saddens me to read this Brian. I know all to well what you and your family are going thru. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family buddy. RIP Thor....

Sorry to hear...been down that road too and it is tough. Thanks for sharing some of your memories with us.

I'm with you in your thoughts. I too I'm waiting for one to pass. Been going down hill since summer. Worked everyday and night and never asked for anything but a pat on the head. Wished they would last forever.

So sorry to hear about your loss Brian. my deepest sympathy to you and your family. I'll definitely keep you all in my prayers during this tough time. RIP Thor

Top Bottom