Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Perfect Farm...

dbltree

Super Moderator
for hunting.
cool.gif

I love the CRP program but I suspect that it won't last forever and some are purchasing farms for hunting that does not qualify for CRP.

What then? What would you plant or how would you manage it?

Obviously one wants lot's of timber, bedding area's etc....but timber aside, most farms in Iowa are not going to be all timber.

My "perfect farm" would be corn, alfalfa and switchgrass...boy I bet your surprised to hear that!
blush.gif
grin.gif

Corn and alfalfa would provide a supreme food source as well as a high income per acre.

As corn prices go up land rent will go up as well and there will farmers standing in line to rent any ground available.

I would ask only that the ground be planted no-till so that the stubble would be a draw through out hunting season.

In some cases low ground might need to be worked, so leaving several acres standing would do the trick.

In areas that have an abundance of cattle such as is the case in my area there is also plenty of competition for alfalfa.

Let someone else do the mowing, spraying etc., but the alfalfa will draw deer until the seasons end.
cool.gif

I would plant switchgrass in all waterways, riparian buffers etc.

For those that aren't able to keep equipment or have the time to plant food plots...this would be the perfect system.

Of course it would never work for people like pharmer and I...cause we just like to play in the dirt
grin.gif

What would be your Perfect Farm for deer hunting?

You left out the most important part, there has to be lots of what ever you are hunting on the farm too. Work all you want to, but if there ain't any deer in the area.....

Sure you could say the habitat will eventually support big deer or lots of what ever you are hunting, but most of us want total instant gratification or a quick return on our investment. So my perfect farm would already have a good population of game and I'd improve on it for the short as well as the long term.

Having said that, there is something to be said for taking a empty canvas and turning it into a beautiful painting. My perfect senario would be a 160 acre square with about 1/2 tillable . The timber would be gnarly and full of points into fields and funnels. Gulleys not too deep, but deep enough for about a 2 acre pond on each 40. I'd plant food plots between the points rotating between commercial crops (corn, beans, alphalfa) some food plots I'd experiment with turnips, brassicas, kale, peanuts, peas, clover, what ever tickled my fancy that year. I'd plant the remainder in switch grass with lots of forbs. I'd do extensive TSI and plant several areas of persimmon, paw paws, pears, plums and apples. I'd put a few of the pod bearing locusts on one ridge where there wouldn't be many oaks. I'd rip out all the old broken fences and junk any old machinery or old fallen in buildings. I'd keep any old barns or buildings that are serviceable. At some poit I'd plant "poacher barriers" so nobody could see in from the road. I'd try several methods of tree planting, bare root, pots and seeds.

The more you do the more you see there is to do. Bottom line, there is no such thing as a perfect farm, only those farms striving for perfection.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why..., your farm of course Paul!
grin.gif

At this point, one that I can afford and reasonably close to home. Have my eye on one, just gonna have to wait a few years for someone to die
crazy.gif

Don't forget good neighbors! Any 160 that is perfectly managed but has "yearling buck shooters" just over the fence will have trouble keeping a supply of big boys around.

Not to mention trespassers... the fewer of these the better. Although my farm is more visible to the road than I would prefer I have great neighbors and I am also in a huge, unbroken section of land. The more "refuge" available the better.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Ten thousand acres, no county road through it, full of 265 inch typical deer. You did ask what the perfect farm is didn't you?
grin.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif

My perfect farm would border a state park on 3 sides and the remaining side would border a road with a Hooters and outdoor shop across the street
grin.gif

I'd have to think a bit to really put the dream/perfect farm together. Paul for a neighbor would be high on the list. I'd want to have a few plots scattered through a timber that I could mess with turnips/clover/rye & such but were too small to lose sleep over lost rent. Rent the big sections for alfalfa and row crops. Not being greedy I could make do with 160 acres something like 40 timber, 3-4 acres of ponds, and plots with 120 crop.

Nice mix of timber, large areas of switch, and crop ground. Of course some hidden plots and plenty of twisting and turning edge. I would also want some high ground that you could glass large areas of the property from. The property would also border a good sized river.
grin.gif
While I am dreaming I better not forget the brushy overgrown pastures with lots of big cedars scattered throughout.

I just want to be able to shoot does and mature bucks over 160 at a 3:1 ratio, all on your guys' farms!

My parents home farm (where I do most of my hunting). It's 190 acres with 3 creeks lined with timber and 155 tillable. I have a few food plots but would like more. There is about 15 acres of crp that is just brome but I will be converting it to switch next year after a good late summer dose of RUP(wish I would have done it last summer but just got permission recently). The only things that I would like to do is plant an apple orchard, have a pond put in and most importantly keep my dad from bulldozing timber every few years. I'm hoping to build a house on it in the future and have the site picked out, up on a hill overlooking the whole farm, I would be able to scout from my back porch. Some day.

Since we are dreaming I'll take a full square mile with about 400 acres of timber, the rest in NWSG and plots. Throw in a fat log house and a 20 acre lake in the middle for the kids.
Until I win that lottery I'll just keep working on my 58 acre minature version of that, minus the lake and log mansion.
grin.gif

Joel,
You are not alone. 66 acres on my families timber, and that keeps me busy. I just don't have enough open areas for food plots.

[ QUOTE ]
there is something to be said for taking a empty canvas and turning it into a beautiful painting

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty scary thought...but I can see that Bonker and I are cut from the same mold (hopefully at opposite ends!
grin.gif
)

Most start off with the idea of always having a place to hunt deer, but then only the most hard hearted will not come to love the land as much as the deer they hunt.

I know many of you can't wait to get out of the office and head to your little piece of heaven...just to walk and let life's problems pass you by.

Planning the next food plot or tree planting becomes as much a big deal as hunting season.
cool.gif

In time that piece of dirt no matter how large or small becomes a part of you and hard to imagine life without it.
smirk.gif

My thoughts behind mentioning the crops were to plant seeds of thought for those that cannot have equipment or time to plant their own plots.

They still can feel that awesome feeling of going for a walk on a warm July evening...just to hear the corn grow
waytogo.gif

Paul,

I would totally agree with you about becoming attached to a piece of ground.

What starts off as just a place to hunt deer, turns into a life long goal to make it better.

I enjoy the hobby farming/wildlife habitat improvements as much as I do hunting.

It's a never ending endeavor that you grow to love.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Most start off with the idea of always having a place to hunt deer, but then only the most hard hearted will not come to love the land as much as the deer they hunt.

I know many of you can't wait to get out of the office and head to your little piece of heaven...just to walk and let life's problems pass you by.

Planning the next food plot or tree planting becomes as much a big deal as hunting season.

In time that piece of dirt no matter how large or small becomes a part of you and hard to imagine life without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul - take it easy on the syrup here before I start bawling!
grin.gif
Truly, those are very astute observations and I agree very much. I had more enjoyment this year hunting than ever before because of my son hunting with me so much and also I am starting to see "fruit" from my land management efforts, humble though they may be compared to some others.

In mid-December I had the boys out Christmas shopping and after about 30 minutes of that madness I exclaimed that I am going to "need" a calming visit to the farm to counteract this stress. My oldest son just about yelled in response, "Let's go!". He had the same feeling too.

The purchase of our farm actually led to my wife changing jobs and us moving an hour and a half to be closer to the farm. We wanted to be there every weekend. Even if we were just camping up by the machine shed. Sitting by the fire listening to the yoties, dreaming of the day we could build a home there and walk out the back door into the greatest back yard we'd ever known. Our ten year plan got hopped up a notch and after three years we made the jump. Now I find myself thinking things like, "How tall will these trees be when I retire?" It seems I do everything the hard way, but the satisfaction of the end result makes it all worth while. I may never shoot a booner there but I know in time it will be my "Perfect Farm".
grin.gif

Top Bottom