Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Ultimate Insult

C

cacrawfo

Saturday Morning I was hunting the same area I took my HUGE buck last year (in my pics). At 8:05 AM I arrowed a big 10 pointer with a drop tine on the left main beam. When I went to recover him, he was still alive. Although he was struggling to get up and move, I couldn't get another arrow in him, so I decided to back out and wait until sat evening to recover him. I returned about 1:00 pm and foud a gutt pile and ATV tracks. This property is posted and no one other than myself has permission to use the property. I don't think anyone on this site would do such a thing, but if anyone knows someone who hunts near Pleasant creek and "shot" a big 10 point I think in the 160" range with a 3-3 1/2 inch drop tine off the left main beam, they better pray I don't catch them in this area or the cops will be the least of their worries. I also lost a stand in there last year, but because that was the first time in 3 yrs I had any problems, I chalked it up to just some bum who happened upon it. Now I know that someone is tresspassing and probably poaching on this farm!!!

Ouch!!!!! that really stupes pretty low when someone happens upon a harvest and claims it as thier own. What sort of satisfaction is that? I hope you find YOUR deer bud. Good Luck

That blows......you do the right thing by backing out and some idiot decides to fill his tag. Sorry to hear that.

That just blows my mind that someone would claim the deer when he didn't shoot it. I can just about imagine the story that he made up.

Put the word out, that's the best thing you can do. Just may have been thought of as a un-recovered deer. With a little luck you may get the buck back.
bawling.gif

Good luck.

I'd get a dna sample and document the location with video and witnesses. You my need it to prosicute

I was thinking the same thing as ironwood, I'd get some of the gut pile, if any left and keep it for DNA purposes, that deer will turn up somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope you find your deer and the other guy gets his just dues.

Would almost bet that they didn't tag it either. Either way it sounds like they were trespassing if no one else has permission to be there.

I feel for ya crawdad. I also lost a deer to other hunters. I had hunted hard the week of Nov. 8th. On Nov.12th, I took a shot at what would've been my best archery buck (approx. 120"). I hit him a little farther back than I had hoped, so I recovered my arrow stuck in the ground and backed out. As I was leaving, I came across a truck from Arkansas with someone in the driver's seat parked in another field entrance to the property. Thinking at the time that I was the only one with permission to hunt the ground, I stopped to see what was up. It turns out he did have permission to be there. He told me that he and his son were leaving to go back to Arkansas that morning but his son wanted one last sit before they left. He and his son seemed like decent guys, and the son said that he shot a buck also that morning. Thinking that the son was hunting another draw on the property, I wasn't too concerned about my buck. I left gave my buck about 4 hours to lay up and die. When I went back out, I couldn't find my deer anywhere. Then I found where the son had obviously set up that morning (not 200 yards away from me). My deer had to have run right past him. Then I found where they loaded a deer into the truck. Surprisingly, they didn't gut the deer before loading it because I never found a gut pile. I figured that they must have been in a hurry to get out of there before I came back. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes back around eventually. Hopefully, they come back to hunt the property next year!
evil.gif

That sucks Crawdad, I'll definately keep my ears and eyes open, also wouldn't hurt to check the "bragging" boards at Gander and Fin in a couple weeks. Hope you find him.
CRITR

Ouch!! Had the same thing happen when i was 17. A guy stole a deer i had put down with the old recurve and had the gall to register it in a local big buck contest and won it! I shot it in Dec so it was extra sweet...only to find the gut pile along side the trail.
frown.gif
Was never able to prove he stole it, but he and I both know it. Hope your theif is as proud of "his" harvest as mine was....can we say losers.
mad.gif
mad.gif

That really sucks! Crawdad it sound like someone is watching you. This scum had 4 hours to kill a deer that you just jumped and then gut it and drag it out. Could this deer have walked under his stand that was on land that he had no permission on. Seems a little wierd to me. I would go take another look around you may find his stand or something, he had to of known the deer was wounded and in there. Second question are you for sure that the gut pile was from that buck maybe someone shot a deer on adjacent ground and tracked it over to yours. Wierder things have happened. In any account I sure hope you find your buck.

Put the word out in your local paper ASAP. The same thing happened to me Thanksgiving of 1996, except I heard the 4 wheeler come by while I was still in my stand, not thinking they would even know it except it died on the edge of the timber right where they were riding, this was on private land also, good luck and be firm.
Jeff Haugland/Iowa

Sorry to hear about that. I will keep my eyes and ears open too. Maybe someone found it and didn't want it to go to waste? I doubt it too.

You should have put him outta his misery. I just hope this guy wasn't a slob. Being a sportsmen thought he'd recover a dead buck. Who knows, all in all I hope to see picks of you and your buck together. Good luck.

I would put up a flyer at local sporting goods stores like Fin and Feather, Scheels and Gander. You may even consider offering a reward of some sort, it wouldn't have to be a big amount. Some guys will roll their buddies for a steak dinner!

Also, contact local taxidermists and give them as much detail on the rack as you can. Any taxidermist I have ever known would not appreciate receiving an illicit animal.

Lastly, if you are sure that no one has permission on the property you are on, then contact neighboring landowners and see if you can figure out who is hunting there. Don't give up yet and let us know how it turns out.

Dang man. That's a bunch of bull. I was wondering if maybe they saw it struggling around and just thought it wasn't mortally wounded and put it down. Either way if they did that I'm sure it wasn't because it was wounded. Plus they didn't have permisson anyways. That really would piss a guy off, just shows how many of those imbreds are out there. They should have to take an IQ test and get some genetics tests done to thin out those spooks. Just an idea, I definately run into plenty of them around SE South Dakota. Good luck and hopefully it turns up.
bouncefire.gif

Top Bottom