Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This deer concerns me...EHD? CWD? of just an injury?

So how long has he looked like that? Have you seen him on the hoof several times? I am going more and more with hit by a car then... I hear CWD after awhile they cant even walk...so I dont think thats it

No idea, like i said this is the first contact we have had with the deer. I believe he is living in the neighbors and just came through on a stroll. Nothing about him says car accident, so thats what worries me there.

I'm guessing car accident/injury to the head. That would explain the tongue hanging out and the antler deformity. This weather has been extremely good so far otherwise he might not still be alive. If we have any sort of winter at all I doubt he survives it, especially if there is a healthy coyote population there.

I dunno, he looks pretty emaciated which to me means he has been sick/injured for awhile. As I recall one of the diseases, ehd/blue tongue, kills within 24/48 hours.

Have you considered sending the pic to the Iowa deer biologist? [email protected]. I’d ask an expert.

If I were you I would shoot that deer and bury it. I would not call the warden and let him take samples from the deer it will just start something bad for the whole sate. Trust me on this I am from Wisconsin but now live in Iowa. I seen how the DNR handled cwd and it destroyed the deer heard.

Top Bottom