Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TIP things

I wonder is the DNR/wardens could get the authority to be real creative with this poaching thing. Maybe create a website that shows (verified) trespasser photos on cameras. Kind of like Americas Most Wanted.

At some point trespassing should cost you the right to hunt (license ban).

Some of you guys wear me out.

It is unfortunate if some of you have had a negative experience with the TIP program. Last year’s numbers from TIP are as follows:

Number of cases reviewed by TIP: 30

TIP rewards approved: $7500.00

Fines as a result of the cases: $6200.00

Liquidated damages from the cases: $142,000.00

Confiscated items: 16 guns, 271 traps, 7 bows, 29 deer, 12 turkeys, video cameras, cell phones, computers, Ipods, hunting videos, blinds, and knives. Some of these items are sold at auction with the proceeds going to the Fish and Wildlife Protection Fund.

Number of felons found in possession of firearms and now incarcerated: 3

Think about it, those 30 cases put $142,000.00 dollars back into the Fish and Game Protection Fund. Would those cases have been made without the TIP program? I don’t know, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? I think my $2.00 donation made a difference.

Speaking of the private sector, would a business man invest $15,000 to make $142,000 in one year? Wouldn’t it be better to spend just $7500.00 and have the same return on investment? Now consider these returns on investment for many years to come, at no additional charge?

This program is not designed to “intercept” active transmissions, only those items stored on cell phones or tablets and only with a search warrant or the owner’s permission. There isn’t enough eye bleach in the world for the CO that would see a picture of me naked.

How could you have a negative experience with TIP? Did you report something and not get paid what you thought you deserved or what? Or someone get a reward for turning you in for something? How else do you have an "experience" with TIP?

I live in oklahoma and really enjoy sites like yours for the great information on other states. The robo-deer Is used here and is a great tool for use against poaching. If caught they pretty much take all you have got, vehicles, guns etc. then they go through phones and your home using the evidence of shooting the decoy for the search warrant. Before legislation was passed last year wardens and bounty hunters did not need a warrant to enter your home for a search. They pretty much had more power than FBI or Highway patrol. Once word gets out that a decoy was in the area, poaching would almost come to a halt. The cell locators and 'Big Brother' keeping an eye on you is real life. It would scare the hell out of you if we knew everything that 'They' can really look in to as far as an individuals personal info goes. That being said I recommend everyone purchase a lifetime drone tag and a cell locator HIP permit because future season predictions look to be excellent on both species.

How could you have a negative experience with TIP? Did you report something and not get paid what you thought you deserved or what? Or someone get a reward for turning you in for something? How else do you have an "experience" with TIP?

the option of NO for receiving payment was selected. That's no incentive for me...just frigging do something with the information provided.

I even called the local CO...nothing but arrogance, "yeah we know all about that" SO, I'm like, OK when are planning on stopping it? Radio-silence. All it got me was three separate stops to check my hunting license and tags for a 1st shotgun season. ...aka, profiling the law-abidding guy. WELL DONE SIR!!!

y'all may have a different experience than I, and my two dollars might help you, but I'm selfish. I want the problems where I hunt fixed, I could care less about yours.

And wasting money to send someone on a Georgia rendezvous for a piece of equipment that likely is already available via county sheriffs, is not what TIP is meant for. TIP is supposed to be an anonymous hotline to channel information to the DNR.

Here's an idea...Use that $7500 for IT and fix the broken website links

Last edited:
the option of NO for receiving payment was selected. That's no incentive for me...just frigging do something with the information provided.

I even called the local CO...nothing but arrogance, "yeah we know all about that" SO, I'm like, OK when are planning on stopping it? Radio-silence. All it got me was three separate stops to check my hunting license and tags for a 1st shotgun season. ...aka, profiling the law-abidding guy. WELL DONE SIR!!!

y'all may have a different experience than I, and my two dollars might help you, but I'm selfish. I want the problems where I hunt fixed, I could care less about yours.

And wasting money to send someone on a Georgia rendezvous for a piece of equipment that likely is already available via county sheriffs, is not what TIP is meant for. TIP is supposed to be an anonymous hotline to channel information to the DNR.

Here's an idea...Use that $7500 for IT and fix the broken website links

From the bottom up.

Good question on the TIP website. I’m not sure who is responsible for the maintenance of the website, TIP Inc. or the DNR. Personally I’d rather spend the money on equipment. TIP has given money for equipment purchases in the past and now that I look back on it the items were for the UCIU. I think that’s called hindsight.

True, the MDIP is available at other agencies. Time is everything. Do these sister services, as someone else called them, have this equipment in a fixed position or is it mobile? If it is mobile will the sister service bring it to the site of the enforcement action? Should the CO be forced to take the time to drive to the nearest available machine and lose precious investigatory time? Currently one CO (that I know of) drives two hours to the nearest machine (I think it s a Federal LEA). I see you live in Solon. What if the good people of Solon figured out a way not to have a fire department because Iowa City, Ely, Mount Vernon and Lisbon are just a few minutes away and surely no lives and not much property can be lost in the few minutes it will take them to respond. I know, a very extreme and illegal example. Perhaps a couple of better ones; why keep a fire extinguisher in the house the fire department is only a few minutes away, and my favorite, why keep a gun in the house, the police are just a few minutes away. Time is everything.

I’ll just let the part about being selfish speak for itself. Even though we've never met (have we?) I don’t really think you are like that. But the choice to donate or not is up to each of us.

I could speculate on what happened with your TIP experience but it would be pure conjecture. I’m confident no information is ignored. I wouldn’t enjoy being stopped three times in one weekend. How long did it take? What were the COs doing when they weren’t stopping you? I doubt they were at the donut shop. I would guess they were stopping others looking for violations. You were just in the area where poaching had been reported and they were looking for poachers. Well, that’s the way I’d look at it.

We use Cellebrite for a ton of investigations. The problems isn't the device or the training. It is paying the thousands of dollars for the upgrades so that you have the ability to download the new devices that come on the market. They are amazing machines. Just plug the phone in and answer a few questions and place all the information on a few DVD or blu-ray discs.

Maybe this question shouldn't be answered since I don't want to give any ideas to the nefarious element that may frequent this esteemed website but...here goes.

In what fashion does one use a cell phone to commit poaching activities that would require the use of that phone content as evidence? In other words, if the powers that be are looking to make a big bust, is evidence on the cell phone that crucial? Wouldn't that be circumstantial evidence at best?

For those of you with knowledge about how these things play out, can you explain it?

Otherwise, I'm not too keen on the "tech spying" side of this deal.

Before anyone makes the "if you have nothing to hide" comment, your argument is flawed because it is based on the faulty assumption that only bad things are hidden. We could discuss that later though.

So, anybody know why the gov needs to use cell phone information in poaching cases?

From the bottom up.

Good question on the TIP website. I’m not sure who is responsible for the maintenance of the website, TIP Inc. or the DNR. Personally I’d rather spend the money on equipment. TIP has given money for equipment purchases in the past and now that I look back on it the items were for the UCIU. I think that’s called hindsight.

True, the MDIP is available at other agencies. Time is everything. Do these sister services, as someone else called them, have this equipment in a fixed position or is it mobile? If it is mobile will the sister service bring it to the site of the enforcement action? Should the CO be forced to take the time to drive to the nearest available machine and lose precious investigatory time? Currently one CO (that I know of) drives two hours to the nearest machine (I think it s a Federal LEA). I see you live in Solon. What if the good people of Solon figured out a way not to have a fire department because Iowa City, Ely, Mount Vernon and Lisbon are just a few minutes away and surely no lives and not much property can be lost in the few minutes it will take them to respond. I know, a very extreme and illegal example. Perhaps a couple of better ones; why keep a fire extinguisher in the house the fire department is only a few minutes away, and my favorite, why keep a gun in the house, the police are just a few minutes away. Time is everything.

I’ll just let the part about being selfish speak for itself. Even though we've never met (have we?) I don’t really think you are like that. But the choice to donate or not is up to each of us.

I could speculate on what happened with your TIP experience but it would be pure conjecture. I’m confident no information is ignored. I wouldn’t enjoy being stopped three times in one weekend. How long did it take? What were the COs doing when they weren’t stopping you? I doubt they were at the donut shop. I would guess they were stopping others looking for violations. You were just in the area where poaching had been reported and they were looking for poachers. Well, that’s the way I’d look at it.

You say, "precious time...investigation"...I guess I didn't realize investigations were time-sensitive...like a fire-call. (BTW, your cop reference and solon don't jive, we're on a county response, no city cops here).

If a poacher in Johnson county is caught and their cell phone has something valuable on it, it can be "quarantined, via legislative channels"...and if it needs to be driven to Des Moines at a later date, then that's just part of doing the job...I think it's called "evidence". It won't expedite anything having a Johnson County CO with the MDIP. Another flawed justification is that usually the DNR officers are NOT acting alone in an arrest situation...which is why I referenced County Sheriffs previously. It could be State Patrol. HEY, who cares what their colors are?, State Patrol and IDNR Officers are all on the same state-tab. I bet they can figure it out, if it's truly an essential piece.

It's not like it's asking the DOT to work with the DNR, I digress.

As for getting stopped three times, I'm going to say it wasn't a matter of coincidentally being in the same area. I'll go out on a limb and predict that the CO knew I wasn't reporting myself for poaching on my dad's land.

As for the information being left behind. YES, it certainly did. The individuals that were doing the poaching then, were never "caught" even after providing plenty of details on where and when to get them by me...and those guys were still up to their no-good ways last year. BUT, I bet if I have them text me a picture of their crimes, they'll finally be apprehended!!!

For what it's worth, I provided the DNR (via TIP) several thousand dollars (according to your math)...but apparently they didn't need the money. THEREFORE, they must not need my $2, that's all I'm saying.

You guys are a few levels above my head here! I guess if folks are like me they need some history on what you all are talking about. Not quite to the level of the Flounder guy talking about Prions but what exactly is all this stuff, what's gone on, trips to Georgia, equipment, etc? Anyone boil this down & put in a nutshell the history, current status & future?
I just wanna nail hardcore poachers, anything TIP can do to aid that, I'm all ears and game!

You can tell what tower a person was using when they use the phone-thus putting them in the area where the deer was killed. Or sometimes the bad guy tells you was in Des Moines but the intel on the phone put you in Mt. Pleasant, sometimes a lie is almost as good as a confession. Also, every photograph you take is time stamped, can't remember what it is called but you can get info from the photograph on gps coordinates and when the photo was taken. So the poacher took the deer in Kentucky but claims he shot it in Iowa. the photograph can tell you where the photo was taken. These new phones have a treasure trove of info to be used in an investigation.

to be honest with you some officers are much better than others at large scale investigations. Some cops or DNR officers can write 100 tickets a month but when it comes to doing weeks of work for one felony arrest they won't put the work in.

You can tell what tower a person was using when they use the phone-thus putting them in the area where the deer was killed. Or sometimes the bad guy tells you was in Des Moines but the intel on the phone put you in Mt. Pleasant, sometimes a lie is almost as good as a confession. Also, every photograph you take is time stamped, can't remember what it is called but you can get info from the photograph on gps coordinates and when the photo was taken. So the poacher took the deer in Kentucky but claims he shot it in Iowa. the photograph can tell you where the photo was taken. These new phones have a treasure trove of info to be used in an investigation.

Hahaha!! I know we aren't suppose to name call on here but those guys are idiots! People seriously break the law and then take pictures of it?

In 56 studies of Prions in deer meat that was raised in the lower 52th latitude, exhibiting radiant features & a bionic pressure below 53.22 - damage can arise in the cerebral edge of linear colostrum. This is what I wanted to add to this topic to clear all this up since the whole thing confused me and I'm missing a whole lot of information. I'm a dumb dumb but I am going to PM this thread/message to Flounder to see if he can give me insight on the TIP situation here.

Top Bottom