Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To all Non Residents

I

IALUVRFROMMO

To all the other non residents I would like to ask that you be very careful about what you write in this forum.
In 1994 when I first hunted Iowa as a result of being invited by an Iowa Farmer whom I had met in a Missouri restaurant, there were absolutely no hard feelings about my being up there. I was treated no differently than if I had lived there all my life. In fact many of the older guys told me storys about having hunted in Missouri back when our hunting was much better than theirs. That has changed to a certain extent and we dont need to make it worse by saying negative things in these forums about poachers, deer drives, party hunting, or anything else.
We must remember that we are guests there.
Sure, everybody would like to draw a tag every year, but we should be thankfull for being able to draw every other, or every third year.
Those of us who live where they are still hunting with rifles during the rut, would be a lot better off to complain to our own game departments for letting most of our immature bucks to be killed because they are afraid to make any changes in a system that has been outdated for many years.
Those of us from Mo. can write to our chief deer biologist, Lonnie Hansen at [email protected]

Ialuvrfrommo, I could not agree with you more. I admit there are times that I would like to post a comment, but for the most part I stay silent on those issues.

My roots are in Iowa and most of my relatives are still Iowa residents, so from time to time I hear their concerns first hand and I have to admit that if the shoe were on the other foot I might feel the way they do. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and a negative comment to someone is not likely going to change it.

I count it a priviledge to be able to hunt, and to hunt in Iowa from time to time is an added bonus. Regardless of where I'm hunting, I'm happy being there.

One of the most important things a person can possess is good character. It would do us all good to remember that when we post our comments here. Like you said, we are guests, and we don't want to wear out our welcome.

Rackaddict,
Glad to hear you are in agreement. Ive been guilty of making a comment about all the Iowa rifle hunters who have been coming down here for decades. But you know what? It accomplishes nothing. And when I think back over the years when I rifle hunted public property, the only time I felt any animosity towards Iowans or other NRs is when they made a negative comment about the hunting or my state. The first thing a person wants to say is "Then what the hell are you doing here?" Its just human nature.
Really if you get time you should write to Mr. Hansen about the situation down here. I think Ive got him convinced that just a little education could go a long way. So many one weekend a year deer hunters still think only candy asses kill does. They have no clue how big a buck can get at only three or four years old. And why is our conservation dept. so interested in trophy smallmouth, trophy largemouth, trophy trout etc. and seemingly not interested in bigger deer at all? They say the public is opposed to QDM. I find that hard to believe. If they ever got a taste of seeing heart stoppers on a regular basis like our friends in Iowa do they wouldnt be opposed for long.
If you write him, let me know what he says.
[email protected]

I'm with you on your thoughts and comments as well.All I would be looking for is a great hunt even if thats all it would be...Our deer deason is long and has to be to ensure they keep the population down,we have plenty of QDM and all Im looking for is another great adventure.Good Luck and Great hunting to all....
wavey.gif

Nice post, and you are spot on as it pertains to why I have sounded off at a couple nonres comments in the last month. When I feel like a non-res is slamming Iowa's people or the DNR's regs I do get defensive. I guess it is one of those natural instincts, kind of like it is OK for me to say my mother is fat but if you say it I am going to come to her defensive. All that aside, speaking from my own personal experience the non-res deer & pheasant hunters I have met while they hunted Iowa have been super, and I hope they all enjoyed their visits. I only wish I could teach them to clean the whole pheasant and not just tear off the breast meat. (actually I know lots of resident hunters that do that too).

IaCraig

I agree with this post 100%. I have been guilty of posting some things out of emotion and for that I am sorry to anyone I might have offended. Even though I am only married into a family that lives in Iowa, I still call going up to see them "going home". I feel it is a privilege to hunt Iowa and be a part of this site.

Sniff, Sniff, I need a tissue.
grin.gif

Iowans
If I knew then, what I know now back in highschool, I would have attended college in Iowa and I'm pretty sure I would have never moved away. I think we probably all get carried away by our emotions sometimes whether talking to your wife or our buddies on iowawhitetail about hunting. That's normal if we didn't, it just wouldn't be right. Some NR's are jealous that they don't have such great hunting in thier backyard (me
grin.gif
) and that is one of the main reasons I will be sacrificing quit a bit over the next several years to own land in Iowa. You guys don't only have the best whitetail hunting but the best web site as well, it must be tough being an Iowan.
wink.gif
It is a priviledge to hunt your state!

Nonres

Seriously guys....lets keep this thing in perspective. Lot going on in the world and were getting all worked up over some land. I hope we are a little more advanced than that. And it's starting to sound alot like an exclusive club here...just curious when all this changed???

I'm glad to see good attitudes from some of our NR members, and I appreciate the comments. We all get a bit worked up now and then, especially when the issues are attached to activities we are passionate about. If all NR's felt the way you guys do I'd have more of an open mind regarding some of these debates.

Kansas,
Did you really have to post that?

Kansas,
Not sure what you mean about this becoming an exclusive club. Im missing something somewhere. Damn sure nothing exclusive about me or this website that I know of. Just a bunch of guys with a common interest....WHITETAILS!

Kansas, You're right, there is alot going on in the world. We're just doing our part to make it a "kinder, gentler" place to be. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

confused_em8.gif

Kinder? Gentler? Where is Rack and what have you done to him?
grin.gif

Seriously, Kansas, I am not sure I understand your post. If saying it is a privilege to hunt Iowa and to be a part of this site makes it a exclusive club then I guess it is. It is also a privilege to hunt in my state of Missouri or Colorado or Kansas. It is a privilege to have satellite TV or to go to the store 24 hours a day. That's what makes the United States of America exclusive. When it comes to hunting, Iowa is exclusive. Every state that has a draw for tags is exclusive. This is the way it should be and if you can be a part of that you should count yourself blessed. Also, I am glad we are passionate enough to get fired up about our land. If we didn't, we would still be under British control.
smile.gif

Don't panic buddy! I was just trying to get in the right frame of mind for Valentines Day! At least I didn't rip off George Sr. so much as to say anything about "a thousand points of light." That just wouldn't be prudent.
wink.gif

Whew! Thought something serious happened to you for a minute.

Do what I do for the big "V". Give the wife some money and send her to a outlet mall with some other girls for the weekend. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Things kinda took a turn here late in this thread, but back to the original topic. I too wanted to jump in and get my $0.02 heard.

As a member of this site, and more importantly, a non-resident Iowa hunter, I would like to echo some earlier posts. Folks, I am as thrilled as can be when I see my name on a list with successful licenses holders. The years I don't draw, I don't complain!

The Iowan I hunt with, you know as Trpr. in this forum, shares pretty much the same view. Don't increase the number of non-resident deer tags...I'll gladly wait my turn to hunt Iowa. I know this can be a touchy topic, but as far as this non-resident is concerned, I feel like a guest hunting in your state, and conduct myself as such.

As far as the deer regulations in Missouri are concerned, you can check my previous posts: I think the deer biologists in Missouri should sit down and have a glass of iced tea with the deer biologists from Iowa, maybe they should even stay for lunch.

I don't blame an Iowa resident for any concerns about non-residents hunting, but if the numbers are kept in check, and WE ALL hunt legally and ethically, there will be lot's of big bucks to hunt years from now. (Stepping down from soap box now.)

MO

I was away for a while and I am just reading this thread and it appears that this thread was started because some of the statements I made about the poaching problem in Iowa.

Ialuvfrommo, I do not agree with the statement you made where you said... "We don't need to make it worse by saying negative things in these forums about poachers, deer drives, party hunting, or anything else." First of all, addressing problems or potential problems is not negative, on the contrary, nothing is more positive than to address problems head on. People who spend time discussing the great sport of hunting whitetails behind a computer for the simple love of it care enough to enhance the sport with honor and fair chase but to say not to address this problem goes against the nature of America--we never look the other way to injustice or apparent problems. What if our forefathers would have said, "There is no tea tax problem!"

Ialuvfrommo, your observations have nothing to do with being a good guest. I for one have never dropped one peice of litter of Iowa ground, never left a single gate open, nor have I disrespected any of the farmers whose ground I have hunted on/leased in my life.

This rant is perhaps a little grandiose I suppose but again, that is my opinion.

P.S. Bowmaker, I can't do the Mexico thing as I fear Montezumas Revenge, that would be a terrible affliction to have whilst sitting in a treestand. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm a N/R hunter who hunted your great state for the first time this past season, I drove some 1600 miles to do so and found your state and the people in it to be very nice. I spent my first few hours at the DNR office talking to them about where I could hunt and getting directions to these locations. The DNR was very helpful and you should be proud of not only your hunting & your DNR but your people in genral hunters & non hunters from what I saw were all very nice and respectful...
I thank you for allowing me as a N/R to not only hunt but to treat me as if I were home...
While we did not put to much effort into gaining permission to hunt private land and settled on hunting the state land we had a fun hunt saw some bucks and elected to let the only shots we had pass ... Thanks and I look forward to the year we get to return being that myself & my hunting partner are both not very out going we will most likely hunt state land again & we'll enjoy cause where we come from you not very lucky to see more than one buck a season and that would most likely be a spike or 4 pt.
What ever your laws are for N/R are ok ... I'd just like to say that I enjoyed my chance and some day hope I can return... A huntN friend MXZ...
PS.... Best Of Luck To YOU all & GOD BLESS

MoAntlertips,
While it is frustrating that our regulations are outdated, I dont mean to be overly critical of the Conservation dept either. If they tried to move the firearms season out of the rut they would catch hell because it is such a tradition here. If they tried to do away with the rifles they would be lynched. Too many people have too much money invested in them. Still there are things that could be done. Protecting does is a proven way of building the herd, but that had been achieved decades ago. As we all know, the key to a more balanced herd is protecting immature bucks, which they are not attempting to do. At the very least I think they could set some of the public wildlife areas aside for bowhunters only. There are a few areas that way now but not nearly enough. Every year more people are deciding to hunt only with a bow.

Mr Whitetail,
This thread wasnt started solely as a result of your comments, but actually an accumulation of comments by several people over the last couple of years. I choose not to be at odds with these guys. You have every right to be....... Just not real sure how many friends you'll make along the way.

Top Bottom