Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To all Non Residents

I did'nt read all the posts above. Perhaps this has been said. But!

All this talk of hunting bring a privilege is spooky. It's our right.

I submit that any US citizen should be able to hunt Federal land in nay state reguardless where he lives. State law can not trump Federal law. BLM should trump state game regs.

I take hunting and fishing trips to a variety of states and respect what they have to offer and respect the people who manage and support their resources. As a non-resident I'm a guest and I act that way, the same way one would/should act when invited into someones home. PS--I envy you guys in MO for the great bodies of water you have in your state.

Mr. Whitetail---I'm not sure about your GIANT LEAP!! from Whitetail hunting to the Revolutionary War/Boston Tea Party, but whatever floats your boat so to speak.
grin.gif

MXZ---Thanks for the comments/compliments. Not sure where you hunted in the past, but if you wanted to try western IA, look at the Loess Hills. Let me know if I can help.

This is sure a tangled thread. I'd just comment that I appreciate the NR courtesy & respect just as I return it when I'm their guest. Bad apples in every barrel just hard to not judge them the same.
The other comment is that state law can be more restrictive than federal law but can't be more lenient. Just ask the folks arrested for "medical" MJ

When I was in Highschool 1982-83 I was recruted for football by both Iowa State and Iowa among several others. I was mainly interested in the offers from Iowa State. As it turned out I got a decent job here in WI that turned out to be a O.K. job today.

If I would have taken the offers I surely would have been a resident of Iowa today and not be discussing this . Kind of Ironic, one of the biggest reasons for me turning down scholarships was because I would be away from my deer hunting land. I visited the Iowa State recruting camps for 2 seasons before I decided college was not for me .I remember telling my mom on the way home one time that if I go to Iowa State I would have no place to deer hunt!!!! Boy what a mistake. I could have been living in deer heaven all this time.

Don't get me wrong, we have great hunting here in WI too but it is marginal at best to what Iowa has to offer. I thank the residents for their type of management and I have always said the first thing that needs to go here in WI is the rifles.

I could not agree more.I find the folks of Iowa in the area I hunt to be very friendly and willing to help a guy out .The Game wardens even helped us out more then one time. when we are in need of info.

You guys have a great system don't change it for nothing.

Gritty

Hunt -m - up :

It happens that's where we hunted . We had never been to your great state hunting before so we spent a lot of time learning where we could hunt then scouting and placing stand. As it turned out we had 7 days spent first one with DNR & looking over different parts of hills, second day we scouted one area and there were to many hunters and few tree that we felt would work for us. On the third day we found a spot we really liked and I saw 4 bucks while scouting and another while placing my stand. As it would happen this buck returned the following day and while he was a nice 8 point about 16 or 17 inch inside spread he was really not what I was hunting for so I past him . It was great how ever he came with in 10 yards or so and never knew I was there.
On the 4th day I would have a great day seeing 3 doe and 4 bucks one that I sure would have taken if he would have come in to my bow range of 30 yards how ever he never did get any closer than about 60 yards. Well the next 2 days the winds blew so hard that we just could not hunt with any chance of making good shots so we pulled our stands and the hunt was over until we maybe get another chance we'll try again. Now at least we know a location and that will make it some what easier next time. Maybe we will get up the courage to ask a farmer or two. Do you think the private farms are that much better than state lands?
I did take two nice bucks before getting to IA and no they were not from my home state..I hunt very little to none in Vermont the whitetail hunting is a joke and a lot of our hunters don't even understand that. They just don't understand what a well managed herd can be.
My two bucks were a really nice 125 class 10 pointer & a MONSTER N/T 160 ish class 14 point. It was a great hunt and while I did not harvest a deer in IA I truely enjoyed the hunt and every thing that suround the hunt.
I'd place you a photo of my bucks but don't know how on this sight. It is much easier to post photo's on THE BOWSITE not sure why its not setup the same here ?
Any way if you have any information you want to share about hunting in IA that you feel may help please feel free I'd sure like to hear it.
Sorry this really got off what this post was about ... One last question if you don't mind are the farmers open to hunters knocking on the door asking for permission?
I just don't want to be seen as a pain to them.
Thanks & what ever you do protect your hunting & be sure that your DNR knows your behind them they really do an outstanding job from what my ONE week showed me...
A huntN friend MXZ.
GOD BLESS THE USA ...

MXZ,

I have some friends who live out of state who have hunted in Iowa on several occasions, both public and private lands. They have had very good luck getting permission to hunt on private lands. Being friendly and polite will go a long way in securing permission. Big bucks are wherever you find them, and that can be anywhere in the state, on both public and private grounds. The key factor is how intense the hunting pressure is in the area.

nonres:
One big problem. In Iowa, you can make the sacrifices, do things right, and STILL cannot get a tag to kill one buck on your own land. Tragic.
180bc

180bc,

We covered this topic in a thread about a month ago called, "What IA Hunters Feelings". Unfortunatly for me that is Iowa law and I knew that prior to purchasing land in Iowa and I will live with this law. However, in the years that I don't get a buck tag, I will attempt to take some does off my property. This may be tragic to some but I feel shed, turkey, pheasant, coyote hunting and filming, will help balance the buckless years. Hopefully in the future IA may decide to change this law, but as for now all I can do is write the state officials.
Nonres

You could sell your land....or not whine about it on this forum anymore. That would be a nice start. This was a nice thread til this stuff gets brought up. You could start another thread/website on the plight of the NR landowners in Iowa.

Going to Tucson for a week...you can bash me when I get back.

Swanny

Swanny & Songdog,

Maybe I didn't come across properly in my post to 180bc, I'm not whining about it. I listed other things that I will be doing during the seasons that I don't get my buck licence. I certainly apologize if I ruined this thread!
confused.gif

Nonres

Here's what I think....why don't some of you guys help the others guys pull their heads out of each others asses. Ya can't ride the fence Rackaddict...who are you Jackie Bushman?? Swanny (although I would probably have to kicjk his ass if I met him) seemd to be one of the only true talkers around here. DoeMaster take off the blinder kid
wink.gif

I'm all for open dicussion on the topic..whether intellegent or not..just getting sick of a few people in here that think they are the next Bill Jordan / Real Tree. I'll probably be deleted as a member after this....oh well....cya!!

Nonres,
The reply was meant more for 180 than you. We're just tired of hearing all of the whining and bitching about Iowa and it's laws, that's all. We live and hunt here and wouldn't have it any other way, it's the same as if someone were to insult your state.

You're more than welcome on this site, matter of fact I've learned some stuff from some of your other posts, hell if I met you I'd probably have to buy you a beer.

The start of this post was to ask nonres's to stop complaining about Iowa, it's laws, and it resident hunters. It was a pretty simple request, after all this is IOWAWhitetail. Something we all love, Iowa and the Whitetail.

Top Bottom