Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping update

Ones better than none! What model of caller u purchase?

We bought the Wildfire II. It is a nice little caller for the money. I also had another external speaker that plugs right into it and doubles the sound it puts out. I still carry a few mouth calls with me just in case I want to really mix things up. :way:

I just bought the same thing I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy the extra speaker but the sounds it produces are great quality

Well guys, looks like a banner year at the fur auction! Check out these prices!

http://trappingtoday.com/index.php/category/fur-prices/

This is what blew my mind!

"Over 400,000 Raccoon sold 100% at an overall average of $31.20, compared to $16.90 last year, an increase of over 80%."

Fur buyers should have some solid profit this year! Makes you think about scraping and putting up your own fur huh? :)

Last edited:
Coyotes were the ones that blew my mind. Way higher than I expected. Coon did awesome, but shipping to auction is always a gamble. Some years it is better to sell to country buyers and groenwald, and others it pays to ship.

I sold all my fur to a local buyer, so I didn't have any in the auction. But, I was very happy to see how we'll the coyotes and coon sold. I know the local buyers catch a lot of grief sometimes, but I hope they made some money at the auction.

Great news for trappers in this years regs:

"The statewide quotas for bobcats and river otters was removed, along with the 24-hour reporting requirement for bobcat and river otters.
The bag limit for river otters was reduced from 3 to 2

to prevent too many river otters from being taken
in any one area."

The list of open areas for bobcats increased to

include Audubon, Crawford, Dallas, Iowa, Muscatine and Poweshiek counties.

Only one bobcat is allowed per season per licensed furharvester, either hunted or trapped. Furharvester license required.

Only two otters are allowed per licensed furharvester.

Bobcat Hunting and Trapping
Hunters and Trappers must have a furharvester
license and pay the habitat fee to trap bobcats, if
normally required to have them to trap. A regular
hunting license will not be adequate.
The season is open in the following counties: Adair, Adams, Appanoose, Audubon, Cass, Clarke, Crawford, Dallas, Davis, Decatur, Des
Moines, Fremont, Guthrie, Harrison, Henry, Iowa,
Jefferson, Keokuk, Lee, Louisa, Lucas, Madison, Mahaska, Marion, Mills, Monona, Monroe, Montgomery, Muscatine, Page, Pottawattamie,
Poweshiek, Ringgold, Taylor, Union, Van Buren,
Wapello, Warren, Washington, Wayne and Woodbury.
Season Limit:
1 bobcat per licensed furharvester, regardless if it was hunted or trapped.

Furharvesters must contact a Conservation Officer within 7 days of taking an otter or bobcat to receive a CITES tag. The CITES tags must
remain with the animal until it is sold. Animals kept for taxidermy or other display or educational purposes must have the CITES tag retained at all times.
Otters and bobcats accidentally captured after the season has closed and bobcats accidentally captured in an area of the state closed to bobcat harvesting, must be turned over to DNR without penalty.

I'll bet you're chomping at the bit huh Skully? :D

picture.php

It has been a number of years since I trapped, but I am really looking forward to getting back into it this fall. I will be running a small line of traps for raccoon and coyote.
I will of course lengthen the line as I gain trapping permission.
I just finish my new fleshing beam the other day.

Alright! You guys posting those trapping pictures got to me!

I don't think I posted these before, but in late January of this year we had a warm up and I knew the coons would come out of their dens for a stroll and I had a few traps waiting for them! I set about 8 or 10 traps for a quick 2 day run and got four late ones.

161-img_0155.jpg

161-img_0156.jpg

161-img_0163.jpg

I also checked for sheds for only a few minutes and found these that day...

ATL - right in his bed, right where I thought they would be.

161-img_0159.jpg

A closer look...
161-img_0162.jpg

And this is the same buck with his 2013 headgear...
161-8.9_aug_2013_3.jpg

I too am really looking forward to the upcoming trapping season, oh, and also deer season too. :D I intend to take more and better pictures while on the trapline this year too.

Looks like some good fur there Daver! Those sheds were an awesome bonus! :way: With bow season getting ready to fire up I know most guys have a one track mind this time of year but if you can find the time to do some trapping now is the time to be preparing your traps and getting a game plan in order. :way:

Any luck yet Bonks on that Civet Cat? Would make a beauty full body mount!:D I am behind on getting my sets out. Waiting for dryer weather to sling my dirt hole sets this fall. Fingers are crossed for a bobcat or otter this year! :way:

Top Bottom