Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping update

Skully

PMA Member
Well this season has been an exciting one so far! The boys and I started out just running some live traps behind the house on our 70 acres. A few really nice coon were caught.
picture.php

My bobcat sets were plagued by possums and non-target animals so I was getting frustrated. Of course there is an occasional skunk. This one had really neat markings.

picture.php

The body grip traps were working well on coon. I caught 14 out of one small creek ditch! Next I wanted to do some dirt hole sets for some yotes. They are very wary critters and catching one always feels like a great accomplishment to me. Here is a sample of my finished dirt hole set.

picture.php

Here is the first yote from this set. A young female.

picture.php

I freshened it up and this big male was my next reward.

picture.php

Coyote numbers are pretty high in my area so it is a priority for me to thin them out whether by trapping or calling. This guy may get tanned and draped over my easy chair. :D

My dream to catch a bobcat is slowly slipping away for this season. The 450 animal quota is at 428 as of this morning. Oh, well, I'll go after them again next year. :way: In the mean time I'll keep going on the song dogs and coon until the weather gets too nasty. Then I may try for some beaver through the ice. Hope you other trappers are having fun and success this fall!:way:

Call me crazy, but I want a skunk hide tanned...LOL!

Think it would look neat in the "man cave" with all the antlers, and such.

Cool looking skunk, and nice success.

Call me crazy, but I want a skunk hide tanned...LOL!

Think it would look neat in the "man cave" with all the antlers, and such.

Cool looking skunk, and nice success.

The skunk hides are very pretty. But the stench has always kept me from skinning/tanning one. :D

Nice job - coyotes are always neat to catch, although my dad and I rarely catch them. We focus on catching coon every year by snaring and our typical catch - running over about 2-1/2 weeks of trapping - is ~200. We had 197 coon this year, with 10 fox, 3 badger, and a big flattail to boot. $27.50 avg for the fox and $13.25 avg for the coon. Good year.

The skunk hides are very pretty. But the stench has always kept me from skinning/tanning one. :D
I think they are beautiful as well and regret selling the two I skinned for $3. Once I got that far, I should have had them tanned. :(

Great catches!

I have quite a few tanned skunk hides. Easy to catch, and money makin little critters.

You can "deactivate" the smell on a skunk really easy before skinning.

Skully I got this one on Friday. I called the CO just in time I was around number 440. Last year I had to release 4 of them and never got to keep one. this cat weighted 29 lbs..

That is a gorgeous cat Murph! I am very jealous of all of you that can catch them on a regular basis. Do you use live catch snares or foot hold traps? I would have to do a full body mount if I am ever lucky enough to catch one like that! :way:

Last edited:
Skully my brother saw this cat and first thing out of his mouth was. "I want that cat to have a full body mount", So I gave it to him. He and his sons were down here cutting and splitting firewood for me all day Saturday so how could I say no? I u8se footholds and most of my cats are caught in dirtholes set for coyotes.

Last edited:
Live trap with cat food seem to work great for cats. I get wild cat, possums, raccoons but it is by my trash can

Well this bean field hill top is really panning out. This is my third yote from this same set. He was a little meaner than the others. :D Also had a great coon in a conibear culvert set. Cooler temps should get the critters moving a little more by the weekend. :way:

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Sweet pics Skully! You da man!

RetiredMurph...that looks like one nice looking and healthy cat! Nice work

Thanks for sharing Skully! :way:
Beautiful cat, they are still not legal in our state , and I have a goregous one running the farm. We do get to trap otter's this year for the first time again , in a very long time.
Any of you have any certain type of trap's you use for otter's ?
We had a beautiful large otter last year on our pond, since we could not legally trap him the DNR did finally give us a permit to shot it, sucked because I so wanted to mount it, but we where not allowed to do anything with it. So it sank to the bottom of our pond- what a waste.
Will be running some coon trap's here in the next week , but keeping those area's limited since we are still deer hunting

Top Bottom