Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

True $ value of a NR Tag

If you own land there why not buy more and manage it better? Why would you invest in Iowa if you couldn't utilize it more than every three years? I really don't understand the logic. Trophy hunting has taken over way to much, people are losing site of the heritage and tradition for a animal they but on the wall. Is it going to make you any money? Maybe but most won't sell their trophies, so why all the big deal to hunt in a state that produces trophies on a regular basis when you have or could have the same in your home state for less money and more opportunity.

I guess I have different priorties, Do I want to hunt out of state, Yes, do I want to own land and change laws in another, NO. I value what others have and live by the laws provided when I am in their state.

I would ask anyone crying about non-residents, do you own land in Iowa? If so, what's the problem? If not, I can state the obvious: Buy land. Oh no? Then don't use that argument, you're refuting your own point. Boom roasted.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
KBNelson,
My guess is that your Wisconsin land would sell for more per acre than your land in Allamakee county. The reason… Illinois and Minnesota landowners buying up Wisconsin hunting land because they can buy OTC buck tags for $160. I have lived in and continue to hunt in both states, and can understand why you are frustrated that you can’t hunt IA more often. Your family is fortunate to own land in one of Iowa’s top counties. Compare the value of that land to a similar size parcel in Buffalo County, WI and you have the reason why Iowa residents appreciate what the IA DNR is doing for us residents.
I have a suggestion: Instead of trying to get the Iowa DNR to change their non-resident restrictions, focus your efforts in your own state where you can actually make a difference. Convince the WI DNR to impose tighter NR regulations. It should increase deer numbers, buck quality, and reduce land prices so you can sell your Iowa land and have more to hunt at home.

Non-residents in Wisconsin aren't a problem. It's not like there's droves of Non-residents coming in WI and ruining any hunting. It's OTC tags and WI still ranks among the top 5 B&C producing states in the country year after year after year. Convincing non-resident landowners to sell their land or focus efforts in home states is foolish. It's not going to happen.

I don't see something like Buffalo county or Pike county a problem. Sure, it's impossible to get in there to hunt unless you pay through the nose for a lease or already own land. But land is available in 98 other counties in Wisconsin. According to Field & Stream, Trempeleau county, a neighboring county to Buffalo, is kicking out almost as many B&C bucks. Because you can't buy land in one county it's suddenly a travesty? it's called the free market.

I know that's long and seems pointless, but it's leading me to a question for you guys. How many of you have been squeezed out of hunting areas by non-residents or even other residents? I don't see that problem happening anywhere, especially in Iowa. So you can't just knock on every door and expect to hunt there? Big deal, it's the changing face of hunting as well as more and more properties being turned into recreational use. This year, so I don't have to drive an hour and a half to hunt at home while I'm at school, I'm probably going to pay for a lease closer to school. If that means skipping a couple of weekends at the bars, so be it. Sure, I'd love to knock on 10 doors and get 9 owners to say 'yes', but that's not reality anymore.

KB,
I do own land in Iowa, 120 acres plus my father in Law owns 1000 and rents another 1000. You see I am not crying about NR's buying up land. I am plssed that you would want to change our laws and you don't even live or work in Iowa. Move here or sell then you won't have to worry about getting a getting the tag every year. Since Wisconsin is always in the top 5 in B&C then why worry about hunting Iowa?
Let's face it you aren't going to get much sympathy here and I am not going to change your mind. All I ask is that you have the common courtsey to let the Iowan's decide what is best for our state and our deer.

Driving 2 minutes across the Prairie/McGregor bridge and becoming a resident :grin: ........ might be easier than changing our laws.

Mr. Voice of Reason;)

I'll take that bet.....

"I know that's long and seems pointless, but it's leading me to a question for you guys. How many of you have been squeezed out of hunting areas by non-residents or even other residents? I don't see that problem happening anywhere, especially in Iowa."

every piece of hunting land I've EVER lost over the years was to a nonresident. either through leasing or out right sale. it's a huge problem around my neck of the woods. times are hard, and money, which is somethin' I'll never have, talks. I'd like to join the ranks of the landed gentry, but I'd have to hit the lotto first. you wanna hunt like a resident? here's a thought, BECOME ONE.

KB
I also own land in SE Iowa and hunt it, but it is next to a large public hunting area and with all the doe pressure around for the last few years my deer numbers have plummeted. Our family group has lost deer hunting privileges on 5 farms in Van Buren and Davis counties over the last years, all of which were purchased by NR hunters. These NR owners will bow hunt for a few days in November and then mostly shotgun hunt the first season, and that is it. To the best of my knowledge no local hunters are allowed even to hunt does on these farms. I have also lost pheasant hunting privileges on several hundred totally different acres because NR hunter groups have leased them for deer hunting only. These groups hunt nothing there but deer but will not allow any one else on the land for any other purpose except the guys who actually farm the ground, and they can't even hunt it, or let me bird hunt there.:confused: So yes I have been squeezed out by NR hunters and land owners and see that if we open the flood gates for NR licenses a bad situations will get much worse as long as people will continue to go to unbelievable measures just to hunt for trophy deer.

Boom roasted.

hahaha, hardly

not gonna repeat all thats been said, cept one thing... and this is the dead horse....

You knew the rules when you bought land here, don't like em??? move here and quit complain'n bout it.

Driving 2 minutes across the Prairie/McGregor bridge and becoming a resident :grin: ........ might be easier than changing our laws.

Mr. Voice of Reason;)

The only thing more outrageous than paying $563 for a non-resident deer tag is paying out of state tuition at the University of Wisconsin.

Yeah, Wisconsin is in the top 5 B&C, but why limit myself to one state? I should limit myself to one state because it's good enough?

I have the feeling non-residents are buying the land up, if there's any loss to NR's, it's generational land turnover. I see Drury's are paying 6.5 million for a farm up in this neck of the woods, how much do their boys gotta pay Chet Culver to get a tag every year?

Yeah, Wisconsin is in the top 5 B&C, but why limit myself to one state? I should limit myself to one state because it's good enough?

Not sure if you meant it to but that came off as extremely selfish. Maybe a little growing up is in order? Someday you'll figure out its not all about you.

For the prices of those two Ebay auctions, if it were possible....I'd draw a tag and sell that baby in a heart beat!! Even if I got half of what those 2 brought in. :D

I have 3 pref pts going into next year and I have serious doubts they will ever be used.

Last edited:
I have the feeling non-residents are buying the land up, if there's any loss to NR's, it's generational land turnover. I see Drury's are paying 6.5 million for a farm up in this neck of the woods, how much do their boys gotta pay Chet Culver to get a tag every year?

The governor's tag is the same price as any non-resident ($563), it's just that they have to kiss Chet's hind end.:moon:

I am sitting on 3 pp's and am ready to get up there and hunt the rut without the guns blazing like down in MO. Just gotta talk myself into spending that money on a deer tag instead of farm improvements for next year :D

you wanna hunt like a resident? here's a thought, BECOME ONE.

I don't wanna hunt like an IA resident. I just wanna be able to hunt like the IA LANDOWNER ...that I am!! I pay the same taxes and have to follow the same rules as any other IA landowner, resident or nonresident. So, why shouldn't I receive the same benefits as other IA landowners, regardless of where I happen to live? It's ridiculous. I'm fine with waiting to build 2-3 points in the draw for a zone-wide archery tag. Not saying that should change for nonresident landowners. But the Landowner tag system needs to be applied to all landowners so they can hunt/manage their own properties in the way they choose.

I don't wanna hunt like an IA resident. I just wanna be able to hunt like the IA LANDOWNER ...that I am!! I pay the same taxes and have to follow the same rules as any other IA landowner, resident or nonresident. So, why shouldn't I receive the same benefits as other IA landowners, regardless of where I happen to live?

Just curious,..how else do you contribute to Iowa's economy? Does a farmer rent your land? Do you sell the timber? Do you receive $ for Gov't programs?

Just wondering is all. I do believe that the guy spending his earned money in the state in resides in should be priviledged over tjose that do not when it comes to their natural resource. Did you inherit the land? Did you buy it for agriculture? Did you buy it for hunting? Just curious.

Side note.......... if 6.5 million for a farm is true, things have gotten more than alittle out of hand down there boys.

I feel your pain,........every hunting show I seem to see on t.v these days is Iowa this Iowa that......too much press is definately bad press.

I don't wanna hunt like an IA resident. I just wanna be able to hunt like the IA LANDOWNER ...that I am!! I pay the same taxes and have to follow the same rules as any other IA landowner, resident or nonresident. So, why shouldn't I receive the same benefits as other IA landowners, regardless of where I happen to live? It's ridiculous. I'm fine with waiting to build 2-3 points in the draw for a zone-wide archery tag. Not saying that should change for nonresident landowners. But the Landowner tag system needs to be applied to all landowners so they can hunt/manage their own properties in the way they choose.

sorry, but ya gotta live here to hunt like an Iowa land owner. it's called residency. you don't live here. you don't vote here. you don't get to hunt like those of us who do. where does this sense of entitlement come from?

Top Bottom