Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wake up nr's/friends & even residents of ia - governor tags this legislation session

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Not a topic beat to death, far from it in fact. Finally being proven and exposed for what it is - a catastrophe, corrupt program, unfair, disastrous to the every day NR and even the Residents here.
I wrote an article year or 2 about the dynamics so many missed with this program, things so many overlook and mistakenly said "the secret is out, who cares". More & more evidence that idea was wrong and this program is putting many, mostly NR's in huge jeapordy of hunting here.
Article from year or 2 ago.... http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42814

NOW - it's FINALLY on the top of the list for threats and focus items of hunters & IBA members. It FINALLY got attention of public last year with the article in the register. Basically how thousands have to wait year after year for a tag while others get their celeb tags to promote something that has 4x the demand than the supply already. Unfair, un-needed, disastrous.
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?p=551427&posted=1#post551427

So, what has JUST happend in a VERY SHORT TIME, ONE CAUSE!!!!...... The NON-RESIDENTS who own or hunt here for YEARS played by the rules and had their every other year wait to bow hunt here just 6-7 years ago. Now, my same buddies coming to hunt 3 zones are looking at 4 year waits to hunt in just a 6-7 year shift. While the Celebs are putting Iowa hunting on the televisions & DVD's of millions of hunters across the country. Depicting a rare occurrence anymore - mature bucks all over. No wonder all the folks wanting to go out of state get caught up in the Iowa attention.

SO, WHEN ARE YOU NR'S WAKING UP???? WHEN ARE YOU RESIDENTS SUPPORTING THEM & WAKING UP? Are you going to wake up when it's a 10 year wait to hunt here because we continue the biggest marketing genius our DNR has every come up with? This program really has any need and justification to be around?!?! Come on. You NR's are being crushed. My buddies are being crushed by this favoritism/crony program. you don't write in, support the expiration of this program, voice your concern to your legislatures, IBA, the Governor and the meetings - don't go crying when you have a 10 year wait for a tag my friends. And you are my friends. My friends who are bleeding away the few seasons to hunt here by saying nothing. My other buddies, well, I don't blame them for applying and accepting the tags - as they laugh the whole drive to Iowa to hunt almost every other year at the least while you wait in line. Why wait in line when you can skip it. Especially when that line is going to continue to grow and grow and grow. It's time. Wake up.

I for one am very thankful that there is not just a two year turn around. That is the ony thing that keeps every put of stater buying up all the land and driving leases up higher than they already are. It would soon be another Pike county IL massive commercialized hunting state with all the land swept up by outfitters.
I'm not down with that. I love the fact we have a state that we as residents do not have to fight claw and scratch with NR to hunt the deer from our state.
To be fair I think it should be the same for the celebs too!
Just my .02

I for one am very thankful that there is not just a two year turn around. That is the ony thing that keeps every put of stater buying up all the land and driving leases up higher than they already are. It would soon be another Pike county IL massive commercialized hunting state with all the land swept up by outfitters.
I'm not down with that. I love the fact we have a state that we as residents do not have to fight claw and scratch with NR to hunt the deer from our state.
To be fair I think it should be the same for the celebs too!
Just my .02
Yet, what would you say, with your position, if it got to be a 10 year wait for a tag.... NR's organized & protested and got big $ to fight for more tags..... And they won? and the flood gates open? Honestly, the starting cause of this can be traced to the Gov tags creating the demand & longer waits that created the unrest & fight. Would this be ok with you and can you see how this likely would either happen or be a giant fight we are going to have? It's coming my man, you wait. I don't want to see it come down to that just like you. Simply removing the program now would at least stabilize demand, followed by gradual trickling down. We have at least 10 years of silence to see the days of every other year NR deer tags again.

In my opinion what will happen if you get the NR masses complaining and moaning about the 50 celebrity tags (dont know exact number) it will just increase the pressure to increase the NR quota. Double edged sword if you ask me. It is EASY money to increase the quota.

I personally do not believe removing this program will all the sudden not make people want to hunt Iowa when there are plenty of residents out there producing high quality films showing Iowa hunting. Lakoskys, kiskys, drurys, White Knuckle Productions, Trophy pursuit, team NXG etc.

I agree the program needs to stop though just dont trust our current governor to do it.

I'm with LIV on this one. Many TV filmed hunts and DVD's already come from Iowa residents like the ones he named, along with Rick White and others. Plus take into account groups like HS, Primos, and others will just have everyone apply like they currently do and more than likely someone from their filming crew will still draw and Iowa tag so Iowa will not fall off the map in that scape, but the tags need to be stopped. TB will not be the one to stop them IMO, but I hope I am wrong.

Just food for thought, looks like Luke Bryan shot a decent buck tonight in Iowa.. 2500 retweets, 9000 favorites on twitter in 3 hours.. Sure a lot of them are girls who just want him for whatever reason, but a lot of them are hunters.. Now they all wanna come to Iowa to hunt cuz Mr. Designer Jeans Country Singer just shot a buck on his first night hunting... Bucks must be everywhere!

That ship sailed long ago. The demand has peaked. A handfull of celeb tags does little to influence the hunting community anymore. In fact, if a nonresident doesnt mind hunting with a gun, they can hunt here very frequently. In most zones, every other year or more. In my opinion, the longest wait has already come and gone. It has been steady for a while now and backed off some.

I guess if people want to hunt iowa that bad,MOVE TO IOWA! Like it or not hunting is becoming a game for the wealthy,which is wrong and the state of iowa could care less if you shoot a trophy buck or not,its called population control not trophy hunting

Life in the woods was WAY better before all the "super cool" people were doing it ! Before trail cams , the naming of "pet deer" , hundreds of T.V. shows , celebrities , major leasing , land wars , the shed hunting rage , and on and on ........... That is a fact !!! Our problems in the woods seem to grow every year , I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.

Good lord y'all. Y'all make it sound like us nr's are the antichrist or something. Most of us that come to Iowa are willing to wait for the tags, then pay major bucks to come hunt. Plus we buy stuff at the stores, gas at the stations, and such doings. Seems like y'all wouldn't be totally opposed to us coming up and helping out the economy some.

I agree 100 percent that the celeb tags need to go. But don't think they need to change the tag quotas at all. If a nrlo wants to hunt there farm more often they need to switch away from archery and apply for gun or late Mz . Some friends of mine have drawn late Mz 4 out of 5 years in a row in zone 5. I understand the dynamic of leasing, it would increase if archery tags or nrlo tags were given. I also think there will be a noticeable decrease in applications for 2014 as many people are nervous about the state of the current deer herd.

Why in the heck should Luke Bryant or any other non-resident non land owning celeb get a tag over a NR Landowner???

The NR landowner that comes here and buys land pays,
Taxes
Buys Gas
Buys food at the store
Goes out to eat.
Goes to the co-op and buys seed and or fert.
Buys lumber to build something, shed or Barn.
Has to employ an electrician to run electric.
Has to employ concrete guy to pour barn floor.
Has to pay permits for said bldg.
Has a builder build barn=$$$
Goes to JD dealer and buys a tractor
Heads to TS and buys tiller and brush cutter
Now has to get seed for food plots
And I bet there are at least some residents that he meets and getting to know that are in some way benefiting from him in some way. NR need Help from Residents.
Builder has to rent highboy to hang roof.
Builder employs at least 1 or 2 more helpers
and then the builder goes shopping for his family from the money
all started by one guy buying some land...now you get the point and its a big
wheel that keeps rolling all from one action.

Now Mr Bryant or whoever I'm not picking on him, Goes to lee's house and as long as he gets to hunt he has no incentive to BUY when he gets to drink for free.

This economy is fragile and we all some how contribute. But that landowner be he resident or non-resident expands the money train 10 fold.

Cut off the celeb tags and and somehow throw a bone to someone that injects so much to the local economy.

My wife DVR'd that Matt Damon movie the other night about fracking in Ohio. I watched it and can relate to both sides the movie showed. Owning land for most is a big undertaking and costly. For most of us its the most precious thing we have other than family. Sometimes when things are hard we dont get buy. Delete all NR landowners from the Iowa equation and their dollars. are local rural Iowans better off now that all the NR are kicked out? In one respect you have all the deer to your self. In another respect ask the JD salesman if he is happy a year or 2 later after his bottom line is not looking so good.

Yeah he got some more access but honey that trip you wanted to take or that new kitchen may have to wait till next year. Who won in this war??? = No One.

Last edited:
Who would ever change a program that allows all your buddies/celebrities come hang with you and go hunting. I've been singing Country in the shower so I can go after one of these tags!

Why in the heck should Luke Bryant or any other non-resident non land owning celeb get a tag over a NR Landowner???

The NR landowner that comes here and buys land pays,
Taxes
Buys Gas
Buys food at the store
Goes out to eat.
Goes to the co-op and buys seed and or fert.
Buys lumber to build something, shed or Barn.
Has to employ an electrician to run electric.
Has to employ concrete guy to pour barn floor.
Has to pay permits for said bldg.
Has a builder build barn=$$$
Goes to JD dealer and buys a tractor
Heads to TS and buys tiller and brush cutter
Now has to get seed for food plots
And I bet there are at least some residents that he meets and getting to know that are in some way benefiting from him in some way. NR need Help from Residents.
Builder has to rent highboy to hang roof.
Builder employs at least 1 or 2 more helpers
and then the builder goes shopping for his family from the money
all started by one guy buying some land...now you get the point and its a big
wheel that keeps rolling all from one action.

Now Mr Bryant or whoever I'm not picking on him, Goes to lee's house and as long as he gets to hunt he has no incentive to BUY when he gets to drink for free.

This economy is fragile and we all some how contribute. But that landowner be he resident or non-resident expands the money train 10 fold.

Cut off the celeb tags and and somehow throw a bone to someone that injects so much to the local economy.

My wife DVR'd that Matt Damon movie the other night about fracking in Ohio. I watched it and can relate to both sides the movie showed. Owning land for most is a big undertaking and costly. For most of us its the most precious thing we have other than family. Sometimes when things are hard we dont get buy. Delete all NR landowners from the Iowa equation and their dollars. are local rural Iowans better off now that all the NR are kicked out? In one respect you have all the deer to your self. In another respect ask the JD salesman if he is happy a year or 2 later after his bottom line is not looking so good.

Yeah he got some more access but honey that trip you wanted to take or that new kitchen may have to wait till next year. Who won in this war??? = No One.

The other side:

Nonresidents have inflated the price of "rough" ground to the point that our cattle producers struggle to ever grow their operation. I have several clients that would explain to you that their son or sons would love to join the family farm operation and expand the herd, but the ground is just too expensive to run cattle on and make a profit any longer. Marginal pasture ground and even hay ground has been bought by nonresidents because at the time it was cheaper than good timber ground and has been converted to switch-grass bedding cover or planted to brush and trees or made into food plots. Ask those families if they would be better off if nonresidents were not here. I know of more than one cattle operation that had to reduce the herd because they lost pasture ground that the families had rented for many years. The land sold to nonresident deer hunters for twice what it is actually worth for ag purposes. I know it makes for a much better story to tell of how the nonresident money has brought Iowa out of the stone ages, but its really just not the case. If anything, our ag economy has actually been stifled to a small degree. Our local assessor also complains that most all of the timber that nonresidents buy is immediately enrolled in timber reserve so that there are no longer any property taxes paid on it. Resident owners prior seldom used that tax exemption because the timber was often pastured to some degree making it ineligible for timber reserve. It has cost our county tens of thousands of dollars in tax revenue every year. That's just one county of 99. Just pointing out the side that some don't want to hear.

If any Residents want to keep the NR tag amount the same, the smartest thing would be to pull the plugs on the marketing to tame the demand. Yes, other residents promote the state but the Celeb tags are REQUIRED to put Iowa in the spotlight of likely millions of viewers- it's a requirement. If that was gone, at least millions of "commercials" on Iowa hunting would be gone.
Residents are hurt by reduced access, pressure on our regulations due to demand, etc, etc. If Residents don't get rid of this, the pressure WILL come to double, triple, whatever - the tag allocation. I disagree it will be asked for now. What we have now is a TREND completely upward for NR demand on tags. When it continues at the pace it's been, there's no trend except for UP.... 6-7 year timeframe has produced a doubling or tripling of the wait for a tag. When millions get Celebs doing what they are required to do- promote Iowa to them - why would anyone expect that demand to decrease or think it has peaked? No way, absolutely no way someone is going to convince me the tag wait won't be 5, then 6, 7 years, etc at this pace. This is a brilliant marketing program that folks don't realize how far & deep it reaches.

I doubt the Gov's tags are going anywhere soon. He needs to repay those who have ballooned his re-election campaign war chest to $4.1M.

A recent poll showed he has 56% of the voters behind him and no viable Democratic challenger.

Getting rid of the tags will be an up hill battle, with him probably having things his way. I'd feel fortunate to have the antlerless quotas lowered. :(

Let's say a guy doesn't want to let NRLO's have a tag every year (I really am trying to be neutral on that topic). How can we not be FAIR and have the question asked..... "why can't a NRLO get a tag at the same frequency at the Celebs getting their tag. Why would the celebs have the preference?". Whatever your thoughts are on the NRLO - you have to admit- that's a fair question! The NRLO does contribute to Iowa's land & resources in ways that are needed and beneficial (even stuff like water quality thru habitat, whitetail management, economy, etc) while the celebs are creating something we DO NOT NEED - more demand. So, the logic & reasoning of this question are valid if it were asked. I'm not saying both have to be addressed.... Just because you address Celeb tags, doesn't mean we need to open up another debate on other tags BUT let's be real - this is a hypocritical program that makes ZERO sense and beyond the ZERO sense it makes, it's a step backwards and HURTS all of us immensely, NR's & R.

I also think there will be a noticeable decrease in applications for 2014 as many people are nervous about the state of the current deer herd.

If this is the case I'm one unlucky guy as I didn't draw zone 5 going in with 2 points(3rd year of applying).

The other side:

Nonresidents have inflated the price of "rough" ground to the point that our cattle producers struggle to ever grow their operation. I have several clients that would explain to you that their son or sons would love to join the family farm operation and expand the herd, but the ground is just too expensive to run cattle on and make a profit any longer. Marginal pasture ground and even hay ground has been bought by nonresidents because at the time it was cheaper than good timber ground and has been converted to switch-grass bedding cover or planted to brush and trees or made into food plots. Ask those families if they would be better off if nonresidents were not here. I know of more than one cattle operation that had to reduce the herd because they lost pasture ground that the families had rented for many years. The land sold to nonresident deer hunters for twice what it is actually worth for ag purposes. I know it makes for a much better story to tell of how the nonresident money has brought Iowa out of the stone ages, but its really just not the case. If anything, our ag economy has actually been stifled to a small degree. Our local assessor also complains that most all of the timber that nonresidents buy is immediately enrolled in timber reserve so that there are no longer any property taxes paid on it. Resident owners prior seldom used that tax exemption because the timber was often pastured to some degree making it ineligible for timber reserve. It has cost our county tens of thousands of dollars in tax revenue every year. That's just one county of 99. Just pointing out the side that some don't want to hear.

What's your argument, you can't prevent a Nr from buying land in the USA? Have you checked neighboring states? Pasture is higher priced in MN, in some cases South Dakota, parts of Wisconsin, probably Illinois...We don't have many NR hunters here I MN, it's called supply and demand.

They all have the same issues you have in Iowa. Plus pasture was being plowed up for tillable. Reality is, you won't get pasture for $1000 an acre anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom