Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wake up nr's/friends & even residents of ia - governor tags this legislation session

I haven't hunted Iowa since 2008 and due to the cost of tags it would be hard for me to justify coming back especially with owning a farm in IL. However, I would have no problem waiting 3 years to come and hunt IA, best thing the state has ever done is put that tight Quota on the number of NR tags allowed. I have seen a deer mecca go down the drain in IL over the last 15 years and the major cause as everyone knows is the outfitting and the 20k NR tags that are available. I would hate to see IA go to 10 years for a NR to draw, but at the same rate it might be a blessing in disguise for the residents of that state, as you can almost ensure that outfitters will be very small in number.

Skip I agree with your post, the freakin celebrity tag is a joke and needs to go bye bye. I hope your voices are heard but I have a feeling they will continue the loop hole.

Kratz

I haven't hunted Iowa since 2008 and due to the cost of tags it would be hard for me to justify coming back especially with owning a farm in IL. However, I would have no problem waiting 3 years to come and hunt IA, best thing the state has ever done is put that tight Quota on the number of NR tags allowed. I have seen a deer mecca go down the drain in IL over the last 15 years and the major cause as everyone knows is the outfitting and the 20k NR tags that are available. I would hate to see IA go to 10 years for a NR to draw, but at the same rate it might be a blessing in disguise for the residents of that state, as you can almost ensure that outfitters will be very small in number.

Skip I agree with your post, the freakin celebrity tag is a joke and needs to go bye bye. I hope your voices are heard but I have a feeling they will continue the loop hole.

Kratz

So, it really is kinda - which came 1st, chicken or the egg. and what will cause what....
1) Will the celebrity tags cause a 10 year wait for a tag & the tags STAY THE SAME in amount & we fend off a fight to increase the tag allocations
OR
2) Will the increase in demand & wait for a tag CAUSE a TIDAL WAVE from NRLO's, NR's & Residents (politicians, realtors, folks with $ interests, etc) to increase the tag allocation, winning that fight.

I personally think #2 is the likely scenario. I think Iowa folks are setting up for getting steamrolled over on that debate. 6-10 year wait for a tag - you guys got a war coming. Stop the demand for the tags (which is the right thing to do in a 100 other ways & reasons) and slow or reverse the demand & future fight it will bring if we don't. I personally think we could avoid the fight all together if folks could tame the demand and also do what's fundamentally right- getting rid of a program that can't justify itself.

You think Iowa is just getting more nr applying since Illinois has gone down in quality? I think it has. I have seen that happen. Got a few friends that have stopped going to Illinois due to quality. Now they would rather wait in line for Iowa.

Skip-Agree, if the wait is beyond 2-3 years there will be a outcry for change.

I know there will be more celebrities buying farms in the future too, and they have the connections to politicians. Very powerful thing to hang with Blake Shelton or whoever, hunt and have drinks afterwards. Word is out, celebrity can allocate one album's sales or portion of the sale (million) to this Iowa farm buy 300 acres or whatever and it has 170 tillable for example...they just diversified their portfolio and it has $40,000 or more in income per year...plus the write off!

Last edited:
What's your argument, you can't prevent a Nr from buying land in the USA? Have you checked neighboring states? Pasture is higher priced in MN, in some cases South Dakota, parts of Wisconsin, probably Illinois...We don't have many NR hunters here I MN, it's called supply and demand.

They all have the same issues you have in Iowa. Plus pasture was being plowed up for tillable. Reality is, you won't get pasture for $1000 an acre anymore.

No, we cant prevent it. But, we don't need to encourage it by rewarding them with extra hunting privileges. That's my point.

As far as South Dakota goes. I have actually looked at land there a couple of years ago. Just did a quick search again and found thousands of acres of pasture land for sale for under a thousand dollars an acre. On average, nearly a thousand dollars per acre less than it costs here. Check your facts again.

Last edited:
You think Iowa is just getting more nr applying since Illinois has gone down in quality? I think it has. I have seen that happen. Got a few friends that have stopped going to Illinois due to quality. Now they would rather wait in line for Iowa.

I think you're right!
Here's the exact scenario I hear from dozens and dozens of my friends I know from out of state.....
"Illinois sucks, it got ruined. Iowa still SEEMS amazing (as they are continually watching giant after giant go down on a promotion tag of the state) - oh, you guys have that $50 preference point right? Heck, I'll spend $50, I'll start putting in for a tag!". I have this conversation over and over with new guys starting to apply here. It's just like seeing a commercial for a good buy & free shipping at cabelas, folks remember & make a minor $50 purchase, no big deal. It sure doesn't take a lot of talking or learning, a quick conversation on someone exploring out state hunting - Illinois sucks now & man, Iowa looks awesome & only $50 pref points!

I don't know what "celebs" get tags from the Gov. From what I understand he recently spent time with the Drurys and MWW. Given the recent supreme court case AND what has been said here about the residency issues of some associated with these two operations this could easily become a problem for the Governor.
If enough people actually pushed the issue with their reps this program could be stopped. Given the current wait for a NR tag NO ONE could argue that this program is needed.

Is the list of people that get celebrity tags public record ? If so could sombody post a link..Thanks

The cat is out of the bag on Iowa. Pretty much every hardcore deer hunter has friends or people they know that have hunted Iowa. Iowa is on every deer hunters short list. Getting rid of the Gov tags will not reduce the demand for NR tags in my opinion but I still think they should get rid of them.

However, if the hunting is going down hill as many on here claim there will be a lot of guys that won't apply again if they have a tough hunt due to the price of the tags. I last drew in 2010 and had a very marginal hunt compared to my previous hunts on the same farms. I have enough points to draw in 2014 but am very hesitant to drop the coin after 2 years of EHD and from the sounds of it far fewer deer.

Good lord y'all. Y'all make it sound like us nr's are the antichrist or something. Most of us that come to Iowa are willing to wait for the tags, then pay major bucks to come hunt. Plus we buy stuff at the stores, gas at the stations, and such doings. Seems like y'all wouldn't be totally opposed to us coming up and helping out the economy some.

It's not that we don't like the economic value you add...we just get displaced by assholes who lease ground from farmers who used to give us permission. Then they charge $4500 a hunt for a week, I'm looking at you Tails of the Hunt, Midwest Outfitters,Southwest Iowa outfitters etc.

Last edited:
No, we cant prevent it. But, we don't need to encourage it by rewarding them with extra hunting privileges. That's my point.

As far as South Dakota goes. I have actually looked at land there a couple of years ago. Just did a quick search again and found thousands of acres of pasture land for sale for under a thousand dollars an acre. On average, nearly a thousand dollars per acre less than it costs here. Check your facts again.

Yes in the prairie out West, check along the border of MN or Iowa...see if you can find cheap pasture.

The difference of course is like in Iowa, some pasture can be converted to farm land.

It's not that we don't like the economic value you add...we just get displaced by assholes who lease ground from farmers who used to give us permission. Then they charge $4500 a hunt for a week, I'm looking at you Tails of the Hunt, Midwest Outfitters, etc.

From what I am reading the biggest issue/complaint seems to be outfitters?

Who would ever change a program that allows all your buddies/celebrities come hang with you and go hunting. I've been singing Country in the shower so I can go after one of these tags!

Scott.....too many country singers getting tags already. You might have to give rapping a go, "know what I'm sayin?"

Goin to Iowaa
Goin to get me some play
Getta hunt with the Drury's
Might even go to some breweries
When a big buck comes along
Gonna git him for a song

And you can take it from there, Scott! :)

Scott.....too many country singers getting tags already. You might have to give rapping a go, "know what I'm sayin?"

Goin to Iowaa
Goin to get me some play
Getta hunt with the Drury's
Might even go to some breweries
When a big buck comes along
Gonna git him for a song

And you can take it from there, Scott! :)

Thanks Tracy! I'll take it from there and sing it for you the next time I'm down!

Look at units in other states for draw odds. The better unit almost all take 5 plus years to draw a tag. IA is not unique in that regard. Get over it.

I don't understand why NR are moaning and groaning. Buy land in a state that allows u to hunt it every year. That's the law.

Hey Fletch, everyone's facts are wrong but yours. In my neighborhood one of my resident farmers buys every piece of land he can. I'm surprised I wiggled in when I did without him gobbling it up first. His cattle and crop operation has gained acreage since I've known him. According to you every farmer and hunter in Iowa is in the soup line because of NRLO's. I call B******t. The more you scream about resident displacement the more the politicians are inclined to listen. It's mostly hot air minus tangible facts.

I have news for you outfitting and leasing would have come to Iowa with or without NR's. NRLO's are an easy target but as time passes more and more resident hunters from urban areas, or residents who don't want to invest the money to own realize the value of rec ground and utilize the lease or an outfitter. So where do you draw your battle lines then? I - 80? Residents above the interstate would be considered ubanites and not permitted to own or lease? What you're trying to prevent is/was inevitable. History predicts the future and every good hunting state in the country has experienced the same whether by resident or non-resident hunting influx. Either adapt by owning, leasing, knowing a landowner, or be left scratching for access. It sucks but its obvious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom