Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wake up nr's/friends & even residents of ia - governor tags this legislation session

I'm just trying to make a point...Thought it was pretty good. Every time politics is brought up on this site it is very one sided conservative or republican shall we say, yet every time the NR topic is brought up, it sounds of Communism. Closet Dems? Lets sieze all the property from the non residents and redistribute the wealth amongst the hunters. No, let me rethink that, just the bowhunters because they are the most serious and have the longest season. I don't see what the huge deal with a non resident land owner being able to harvest a buck a year for $500 something dollars. I don't own land there or do I plan to in the near future. I hunted thousands of acres of the best whitetail country around in Iowa this year. I hunted often and if you think the biggest threat to "Your" trophy whitetails lies outside the border than your deflecting blame which is also a dem tactic. That is why I'll be sending my $50 or $60 for a preference point until this ehd cycle is over. Oh, and no, that won't be opening up those acres I hunt, my resident buddies will be hunting it in the meantime. And for the record I am an out in the open republican. Done with the rant....I'm out

Last edited:
You guys make some interesting points.
For what its worth I know of 7 Michigan hunters who hunted Iowa this year and did NOT kill a single deer. Two were hunting Ground they owned, Three were hunting a Residents private farm, and the last two were hunting state land.

We all spent loads of $ on Hotels, meals, licenses, Gas, etc. So all in all the state only Gained from these hunters. Not to mention that as a NRLO I will be making about 8-10 more trips to Iowa this year and spending money every trip on Gas, Food, Lodging, Seed, Renting a tractor, Beer, Etc.

Even with the EHD in my zone (6) and the high cost and long wait for tags, Iowa is still worth the fuss!

Slow day at work.

Against my better judgement I stuck my nose back into this argument so I will briefly state my position and then do my best to keep my mouth shut.

I believe in what is known as the North American model of game management. Specifically that no one person owns the wildlife even if it is found on their property. That is why I won't ever support a guaranteed tag for a NR of any kind as long as there is a draw. I will even put all my cards on the table and say, gulp, if it were up to me land owner tags would be stopped as well. I can understand a reduced price tag for hunting your own land, Iowa is 99.+% private land, but still a policy that favors the king. I know most, at least here, rarely fill all three tags and I'm not lobbying to change it but on principle all residents should be eligible for the same amount of tags.

Having said that I do support the Youth Seasons though TH was walking the line of what I personally find acceptable. Sorry :D, could not help myself. I don't hate the player but the game could use a little work.

Getting back to the OP and Governors tags it's on principle that I am against them too. I just have a problem with favoritism I guess. The "celebs" should stand in line like everyone else.

Also, I, and most, are well aware the NRs of any type are not a threat to the over all deer herd. I have never claimed that. That is on the residents. NRs are a threat to resident access and the ability of residents to buy land. That is a fact.

Last edited:
Also, I, and most, are well aware the NRs of any type are not a threat to the over all deer herd. I have never claimed that. That is on the residents. NRs are a threat to resident access and the ability of residents to buy land. That is a fact.

Finally it's good to hear someone say that.

I also agree that allowing 3 bucks to be harvested is overkill. Along with that if they would end party hunting, I think Iowa would see a drastic jump in buck numbers over a 5 year period.

When Indiana went to the one buck rule our age structure jumped tremendously.

Finally it's good to hear someone say that.

I also agree that allowing 3 bucks to be harvested is overkill. Along with that if they would end party hunting, I think Iowa would see a drastic jump in buck numbers over a 5 year period.

When Indiana went to the one buck rule our age structure jumped tremendously.

This gets brought up from time to time and I think it is one of the least impactful things happening to our deer herd of all of the things going on. I am a resident landowner and have yet to ever shoot 2 bucks on my farm in a season, let alone 3. I doubt there is 100 bucks in a year that are a resident LO's "3rd buck".

I know, I know, I am just one person...but out of the several dozen fellow landowners that I know, I can only think of one that has ever shot 3 bucks in a season, etc. In other words, at least from all of the LO's that I know, it is not at all common to take 3 bucks in a season, in fact, more limit themselves to 1 per year than 2 even. I know of many people though that have shot multiple shed bucks during the rifle season in the past few years.

I don't care if the law is changed or not, it really wouldn't impact me in the slightest, but it IS NOT going to do a thing about the lower deer numbers in this state. Let's put our focus on actual problems.

I've never taken 3 bucks in a season from IA. Heck, I'd say the total average on my farms is .5 bucks per year per farm. I absolutely try and be a giver VS a taker. Same with habitat - leaving things 1000x better than I found. Love land stewardship, conservation & management. But, sorry - ya - I agree, so minor. Now, on the flip side... If it was a "bargaining chip" for making other progress - I'd give it up in a heartbeat and I am sure most others I know would too. I'm on the ultra conservative side though and heck, even a 1 buck rule statewide would be cool with me.

Celeb tags have NO VALID REASON TO EXIST - PERIOD. 100+ reasons they do great harm, are wrong, cause problems & happy to go thru them one by one (ok, don't ask me to come up with 100 reasons & list them).

Last edited:
I've never taken 3 bucks in a season from IA. Heck, I'd say the total average on my farms is .5 bucks per year per farm. I absolutely try and be a giver VS a taker. Same with habitat - leaving things 1000x better than I found. Love land stewardship, conservation & management. But, sorry - ya - I agree, so minor. Now, on the flip side... If it was a "bargaining chip" for making other progress - I'd give it up in a heartbeat and I am sure most others I know would too. I'm on the ultra conservative side though and heck, even a 1 buck rule statewide would be cool with me. Celeb tags have NO VALID REASON TO EXIST - PERIOD. 100+ reasons they do great harm, are wrong, cause problems & happy to go thru them one by one (ok, don't ask me to come up with 100 reasons & list them).

A 1 buck rule would be awesome, even if just for a 2-3 yr period. Coming from Ohio it is amazing that a landowner can shoot 3 bucks....

Why in the heck should Luke Bryant or any other non-resident non land owning celeb get a tag over a NR Landowner???

The NR landowner that comes here and buys land pays,
Taxes
Buys Gas
Buys food at the store
Goes out to eat.
Goes to the co-op and buys seed and or fert.
Buys lumber to build something, shed or Barn.
Has to employ an electrician to run electric.
Has to employ concrete guy to pour barn floor.
Has to pay permits for said bldg.
Has a builder build barn=$$$
Goes to JD dealer and buys a tractor
Heads to TS and buys tiller and brush cutter
Now has to get seed for food plots
And I bet there are at least some residents that he meets and getting to know that are in some way benefiting from him in some way. NR need Help from Residents.
Builder has to rent highboy to hang roof.
Builder employs at least 1 or 2 more helpers
and then the builder goes shopping for his family from the money
all started by one guy buying some land...now you get the point and its a big
wheel that keeps rolling all from one action.

Now Mr Bryant or whoever I'm not picking on him, Goes to lee's house and as long as he gets to hunt he has no incentive to BUY when he gets to drink for free.

This economy is fragile and we all some how contribute. But that landowner be he resident or non-resident expands the money train 10 fold.

Cut off the celeb tags and and somehow throw a bone to someone that injects so much to the local economy.

My wife DVR'd that Matt Damon movie the other night about fracking in Ohio. I watched it and can relate to both sides the movie showed. Owning land for most is a big undertaking and costly. For most of us its the most precious thing we have other than family. Sometimes when things are hard we dont get buy. Delete all NR landowners from the Iowa equation and their dollars. are local rural Iowans better off now that all the NR are kicked out? In one respect you have all the deer to your self. In another respect ask the JD salesman if he is happy a year or 2 later after his bottom line is not looking so good.

Yeah he got some more access but honey that trip you wanted to take or that new kitchen may have to wait till next year. Who won in this war??? = No One.

Here's a little bit of information. We just had a cattle rancher buy up 10000 acres of prime woodlands.

The woodlands are now gone and the fields have been turned into nothing but feed lots. Farmers are getting tired of it and to solve the problem they are tearing out the woods.

Sooner or later taxes will get increased on timbers once the government sees the amount of money they are missing out on. If one is willing to come buy prime land in iowa just to hunt quality whitetail then they should be ready to pay the inflated taxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the governors tags have as much impact as maybe some of the filming crews skirting the residency requirements and the resident film makers do promoting Iowa. 50 hunters are a drop in the bucket. The secret has long been out about Iowa hunting and the perks I'm sure the governor receives politically, beyond hunting, from some of the celebs he provides tags to far outweigh complaints about the tags being issued. I don't think these tags are an issue worth fighting for compared to some others.

i disagree with JDUBS - the point is that we allow 50 people to come here - take a resource and then leave - plus they make money on that resource through video sales etc... I have said it in prior posts- why give away what you can sell. corp tags s/b 5k a pop and go straight to a program to buy more public hunting ground. If we are going to pimp our deer, we should get something in return... Name one thing the state of iowa gets for letting a celebrity hunt the deer? it is not as if they are paying for lodging anywhere - the infrastructure that could be built for these communities in southern iowa are mind blowing especially if you broke it down by county. More teachers, more athletic equipment, better roads , whatever . make a 10k donation to a community in need and then you can kill our deer.

To be clear I DO NOT think that the extra landowners tag is a real problem. I was just pointing out another form of favoritism in regards to access to a publicly held resource.

Henry is also right. If someone is going to get special treatment, jump to the head of the line AND profit from it they should be paying more then the standard tag price. I would rather they where just added to the general pool.

Well guys welcome to the world of politics. Favors and return favors are the name of the game. The effort to end these tags is valiant but will go nowhere. As much as we all love deer hunting the issue with the Governors office is menial compared to other topics. Issuing a deer tag compared to other forms of political gaming is off the radar.

I did not say there was. I said QUALITY HUNTING EXPERIENCE. Which is what people are looking for when they come to hunt Iowa. The perception is Iowa is a top tier deer hunting destination. If I were comparing it to an ELK destination I do not think it would be a stretch to look at AZ or NM. 5 years is not even going to get you a sniff at a top draw elk unit.
I think one of the reasons people get so butt hurt about the Iowa draw is because we're talking about deer. Something they have at home. If they looked at it not just for what the animal is but what they perceive the opportunity to be a 4 year wait is no big deal.
Of course, I do not expect that to change the opinion of a NRLO.

Very well stated! Also, the western residence does cherish the whitetail opportunities like we in the Midwest would any western hunt.

I don't see the need for the Celebrity tags but expect they effect things very little. Are they ethical? What is the value of the personal hunts given to gain political influence? Call them commercial tags and sell them to benifit the DNR with a $5000 tag fee, draw or pay. I love the current administration in almost every way but I do think they have sold out Iowa on this issue.

If the people did not own the resource I would agree with their approach and the NRLO argument. But the people of Iowa do own the resource so I hold my opinion, as I see it. I do get why every one of you have your opinions. For things to change to much I think the deer herd would need to be considered a private resource. Maybe that is the move people should be fighting for.

Top Bottom