Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weed Plots

letemgrow

PMA Member
These are some cheap plots to create.

The field was worked about a month ago and left as is. There is a lot of pigweed and purslane coming up. The deer like it as much as the beanfield on the other side of the camera.

Granted the contrast between both field will be different in December, but the amount of browse produced by the weeds now is incredible.

750bb35befea40d238b908b14a39c897.jpg

138acbfde04bc62ee62aaafaae8d8416.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We let a field go this spring, what we planted never grew but pig weed sure flourished. Deer heaven! Mowed and sprayed it off to try a fall plot... and now it hasn't rained for a month and isn't going to for another 10+ days

Big & small ragweed a hit on me too. They destroy the pigweed & waterhemp!!! Attention farmers!!!! Best thing u can do- don’t spray your soybeans so lots of Pigweed & waterhemp!! Extra browse for deer!!!! ;) :)
If someone had a patch of it…. Could drill a rye mix into it now too for food. I like my patches of weeds here & there. Do have to do war on cockleburs & marestail & few others.

Big & small ragweed a hit on me too. They destroy the pigweed & waterhemp!!! Attention farmers!!!! Best thing u can do- don’t spray your soybeans so lots of Pigweed & waterhemp!! Extra browse for deer!!!! ;) :)
If someone had a patch of it…. Could drill a rye mix into it now too for food. I like my patches of weeds here & there. Do have to do war on cockleburs & marestail & few others.
Giant ragweed gets browsed harder in the soybean field than the actual soybeans do.

So guys….. since I’m all about making $ from hunters & all I care about!!! ;)…. What u think of starting a food plot company “WEED SEED BONANZA” U guys collect the seed pigweed & waterhemp. Maybe we collect some marijuana seeds I see often as well & market that “it really slows the deer down & makes em easy to shoot. & they come in to eat NON-STOP!!!!!” This could be a lucrative mix!!! ;).

On serious note…. When u have a drought…. What weeds flourish?? All of above we discussed. That’s why I’ll have little pockets of weeds on my farm every year and totally fine with it. I want it. Stuff like ragweed is also great for birds. Diversity, including WILD DIVERSITY is so important!!! Monocultures or grazed down grass pastures & browsed down timber is about the exact opposite of what we want to shoot for.

I'm gonna have some winter peas drilled into that field.

My ideal weed plot would be:

annual sunflowers
perennial sunflowers
giant ragweed
common ragweed
waterhemps/pigweed (good quail food also)
trailing wild bean (large and small)
foxtail
jewelweed
tickseed/beggar's ticks/bidens (discraceful plant name)
beggar's lice

I had a 9 acre field grown up in weeds and the deer were pounding it.. They preferred it to the enlist beans.. I let it stand as long as possible and sprayed it a couple weeks ago to drill in cereal grain next weekend.. I just hope the ground isn't to hard too drill in wheat and rye. It may be like concrete now.

Weed / early successional plots are great for summer food, bedding.

The issue comes after that first frost and everything is nuked. No food value in fall and winter unless you have woody browse. Great bedding however.

Watched a big buck during MO muzzleloader season back around 2000 feed on goldenrod heads all evening on the edge of a winter wheat food plot.

Granted, I'm certain the winter wheat was his favorite more often than not, but not on that night.

Watched a big buck during MO muzzleloader season back around 2000 feed on goldenrod heads all evening on the edge of a winter wheat food plot.

Granted, I'm certain the winter wheat was his favorite more often than not, but not on that night.

Wow, never seen deer feed on goldenrod, and I have plenty of it. Interesting..

Reminds me of watching a buck eat hedge balls on edge of a beautiful brassica plot. Just laughed.

Top Bottom