Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weed Plots

1694091404082.png

My weedy plot has the best brassicas I’ve had in years (turnips, radishes) under the wispy weeds ! One acre (Iowa)… I expect a late season hot spot !

Attachments

• A38EF8E5-3B63-45A0-A512-7AF3D6C930BE.jpeg
    A38EF8E5-3B63-45A0-A512-7AF3D6C930BE.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Driving up to Omaha on I-29 is a dense stand of annual sunflowers. I can’t imagine the amount of game that would find this attractive through winter. It’s a good double the height or more of the fence post in the foreground.

8bb2c758504ccd4996b4de7dad0fe428.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@letemgrow - Any experience on the best annual sunflower varieties for wildlife?

Peredovic always get advertised for this, higher oil content etc... However in my experience, even well fertilized they don't get that big and seed heads are few. Many get eaten before flowering stage. Even 1+ acres worth.

My parents have always planted Mammoth in their yard, they get 8'+ tall and usually become squirrel magnets.. Need to find a happy medium here :)

@letemgrow - Any experience on the best annual sunflower varieties for wildlife?

Peredovic always get advertised for this, higher oil content etc... However in my experience, even well fertilized they don't get that big and seed heads are few. Many get eaten before flowering stage. Even 1+ acres worth.

My parents have always planted Mammoth in their yard, they get 8'+ tall and usually become squirrel magnets.. Need to find a happy medium here :)

I like the annual that grows wild. The squirrels get quite a few of those along with the goldfinch on their way through.

Still get quite a few pods for seeds even after all that pillaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone see deer hammer locus seed pods? I have had a couple tell me the deer love them, but I have a camera on a pile of them that fell on the edge of my field and haven't seen them eat a single one.

Anyone see deer hammer locus seed pods? I have had a couple tell me the deer love them, but I have a camera on a pile of them that fell on the edge of my field and haven't seen them eat a single one.
I commented in another thread that I get pics of the deer eating them when the ground is snow covered and temps are cold. My guess is kind of a last resort food source. Maybe this weekend? :(

I commented in another thread that I get pics of the deer eating them when the ground is snow covered and temps are cold. My guess is kind of a last resort food source. Maybe this weekend? :(
Interesting. I will report back next time I get a chance to check the cards.

Interesting. I will report back next time I get a chance to check the cards.
Seen em pound em a million times!!!!! One big long pod pulled in chomp by chomp. Same with hedge apple…. They smash those up & eat those as well. Weeds & trees guys don’t like sure provide a lot more food than anyone might think!!

Reactions: HWC
The deer on my place are in luck then.

I've seen them eat locust pods, but wouldn't call them anything close to a primo food source in the midwest.

Down south they're "sweeter" and more desired. I have a hard time finding any acorns still laying around, but locust pods.....

If that's all the deer have to eat on a property that they feel safe on, I'm sure they're more sought after than areas with other food sources.

Reactions: HWC
Top Bottom