Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What are our favorite broadheads?

idsman75

Ok....bowhunting for the first time this year. I've been shooting the you-know-what out of my PSE Predator using Beman ICS carbon arrows. I need to start selecting broadheads so I can have my dealer place some orders and am trying to decide what to test out.

I've already purchased Muzzy 100-grain broadheads. I'm considering the NAP Razorback "with spinning technology", some Rocket 100-grain mechanical broadheads and possibly some G5 Montec broadheads (3-blade).

What is everyone's favorite broadhead?

idsman75.... I shoot the 100 grain rockethead wolverinne instead of the 75. You can check them out on Cabelas or Bass Pros website. I usually will get pass through if I shoot them right behind the shoulder but still have taken a few when I have not made a good shot hitting them right in the middle of the shoulder. The fly excellent and will group nicely. Can not bad mouth them at this point because I have had good luck with them. However I would like to shoot a fix blade broadhead so I could have my own opinion between the two. Just my two cents!

I hunted for the first time last year so you are getting limited knowledge from me. I bought 100 grn. thunderheads when I got my bow and I couldn't tune them. I had arrows all over the target. I bought some Shockwave mechanicals and they shot like darts. I got a buck last year and it really bled him out. I am sold on mechanicals.

The guy across the street at Scheels tells me that "tuning a broadhead" is voodoo. "Just screw em on and shoot em and they'll go where you aim if you are doing your part". He says that I should just pick a quality broadhead (of course at his recommendation) and screw it in and shoot it. I can't believe that every broadhead will go where I aim it. I have to believe that certain broadheads need to be "tuned".

idsman, you might get lucky and find a fixed blade that does not need to be tuned. If you find one let me know. I know that I shot fixed blades when I first started bow hunting and two years or so went by before I got back into it. Bought a Mathews Fx two days before the season started and thought I was king of the world. Had my field tips shooting great groups and went to the archery shop the night before and told them I wanted some Muzzy broadheads and they about laughed me out of the shop. I did not realize that broadheads needed to be tuned. Not having time to do that he inrtoduced me to the mechanicals and I have been shooting them since.
waytogo.gif

I appreciate the advice. I like to go to Scheels for things that don't need "expert touches" that I can't provide. I go to a dedicated bow shop for everything else.

I used to shoot the Thunderhead 125's or Razorback 5's with my aluminum arrows, but since changing bows and switching to carbon arrows, I now shootThe Spitfire XP Pro 100's, which are mechanical. I love the way they shoot and I do not have to worry about tuning my broadheads. Maybe that is luck, but these things fly like field points. Give them a try.

Joe

I have had great luck with 100 grain, 4 blade muzzy's.....They shot perfect for me, i didnt have to tune them in. Believe it or not.

i personally shoot steelhead 125's and muzzy 3 blade 125's. When i shot 100 grains i shot thunderheads first and had problems with the blades falling out in targets and i missed a doe (my first ever shot at a deer) and i had a blade come out in the dirt. Not to bad mouth thunderheads but ive talked to others that have had the same problems n i just dont like their design with the blades jus barely locked in by an O ring and your arrow where with the muzzy's you have the interlock design and i watched guys shoot em through plywood and many other things n the blades never feel out, the tip was pretty well crushed but broadhead intact. I also shot spitfires and steelheads and loved em both, but ended up i liked the steel head design better and i dont know why but they seemed to like my bow and arrow combination better. So really its whatever you like what, expandables i'd go with the spitfires or any rocket heads and fixed i would highly recomend muzzys.

just my 2 cents,

huntn4life88
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif
sniper.gif

oh n p.s. i shoot a hoyt ultatech with beman ICS 340s shooting 68 pounds with a 29" draw (im 16) my dads setup is nearly the same and his bow likes the same broadheads as mine but he shoots 72 lbs with a 31" draw with a 1/2"-1" d loop......he's got long arms lol and hoyts are the only ones really with long enough draws for us. :smile

Idsman75,If I had to pick a favorite,I'd have to go with the Muzzy.Only because I've used them alot over the years and they always performed well.I did try the Wasp 100 gr.bullets last year,which I also like,but can't make the claim their my favorite,atleast yet.So far they've done well,I've taken two deer with them ,but will need several more before I'd say their my favorite.But the bullets are one awesome flying fixed bladed broadhead,I can say that.I like to practice on my styrofoam buck up to 50 yards, and them heads are accurate.I don't shoot at deer that far,it's just a confidence booster,for those closer shots.And I like the fact both Muzzy and the Bullets have the tocar tip.I think it's the best tip to have if you should encounter heavy bone,which shatters it with this 3 sided chisel tip.All in all,I believe Muzzy has the best blade retention design for replaceable bladed broadheads,their solid,where the bullets I'm not too sure yet.Montec looks like another quality head you mentioned,alot like them also.As far as tuning broadheads,first as you know, make sure your arrows are spined correctly for your setup and make sure your broadheads spin true.I see your using carbon arrows and you'll want to check how true the broadhead spins.I say this being someone made them and hopefully they placed the inserts in square to the shaft,if not the broadhead will wobble and could cause flight problems with the fixed broadheads.Aluminum arrows are easier to correct, by heating the insert and reseating until the head spins true.But with carbons I epoxy the insert in and spin check it before it dries and correct as needed.You can't correct inserts in carbons after they dry,because heat will ruin them, so check them.If you can alleviate these two common problems in broadhead tuning,you shouldn't have much trouble getting any fixed bladed head to fly.A good helical on your flethings will help also,Hope this helps,Good luck.

I shoot Rocket Sidewinder 3's. I like those over the Rocket Steelheads because of the bigger cutting diameter, but I know a lot of guys that shoot the steelheads and they work just great. Just make sure that if your shooting mechanicals, you have enough KE for them to work properly. I'm not exaclty sure what "they" suggest what the minimum KE should be, but I think it's around 55ft-lbs. You can figure that out using this site. http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html Hope that helps. Pretty cool site to figure out a bunch of different stuff. Good luck.

I shoot Muzzy 100's, have for 6 years and I have recovered every deer I have shot. I have helped search for deer on numerous occassions where Mechanical's didn't do the job. I used mechanicals once, the first deer I shot with them I was lucky to recover. The force of a direct hit on a rib bone actually ripped one of the blades off of the broadhead and bent the other. I haven't shot anything other than muzzy's since.

I may look at shooting a few Muzzy's. I have not seen one bad comments about them and now my curiosity is up. That is what I love about this site and our members! We have some very awesome members, with a wealth of knowledge and we each enjoy sharing our experience with others.

Here is a run down of combos that have worked for me over the years.

72 lbs, 29 inch draw with Easton XX75 2315 with 125 grn NAP Thunderheads

72 lbs, 29 inch draw with Beman ICS Hunters with 100 grn NAP Thunderheads

as of the last three years I have been shooting 72 lbs., 28.5 inch draw, wasp jak-hammer 100 grn mech heads with 2213 XX78 easton for deer and Gold Tip 5575 with the Jak hammers (this year I used Rocket Hammerhead 100 grn) for turkey and love em...I have not had a deer go further than 50 yards after the shot. Turkey drop like rocks... However I am going to try something different this year... I think...
grin.gif
I am now shooting easton axis 400s and G5 tekans. Every combination I have shot has worked like it is suppose to because my bow is tuned properly. Mechanicals as well as fixed replaceable blade heads will lose penetration and do very stange things out of a bow that is not tuned properly. In my opinion there are very few heads that will not do what they are suppose to if shot out of a properly tuned bow. It is a matter of personal choice and what works for you that is what is great about bowhunting. All of the choices you mentioned will do the trick and you have got some good advice from the rest of these folks. Good luck and get to it son...time is tickin...
evil.gif

That joker that told you that tuning a bow is vodoo needs be removed from archery.

Shot zwickey's for 10 years with good results, then I shot steelforce for a couple and last year I shot Wasp 100gr 1.75 inch cutting diameter Jak-hammers.
All of the heads above worked well, but the Jak's stand a notch above for me. Absolutely, awesome holes and blood trails result from Jak-hammer hit deer and bear.
I tend to agree with limb though. Just about any head will do its job if you do yours, but for deer and bear sized animals my current vote is for MR. Jak-hammer. I have also heard good things about grim reapers, but have no experince with them.

With all that said, I will probably shoot montec's or magnus fixed heads for moose this fall.
smile.gif

i'm guessing that the guy who told you broadheads don't need to be tuned was some guy who happened to be walking by and who's real expertise is the souveneir shoppe.

like limb did...here's a rundown of what i've shot. i did have to tune a bit but not much. once the bow is in perfect working order i never had troubles with MOST broadheads.

72 lbs...27 inch 5575 GoldTip arrow Muzzy 115 grain 4 blades. these are my favorite heads in teh whole world, they have always worked for me over the past 15 years.

72 lbs 5575 GoldTip 100 grain 4 bladed Steelforce broadheads. At high arrowspeeds on graphite arrows these broadheads made the arrow "buck" and their construction is sub par in my opinion. one busted after hiiting some wood post dead on...they should not do that. on aluminum 2314's these broadheads flew awesome though.

72 lbs 5575 GoldTips Rocket 75 grain Miniblasters. have used on turkey and one deer. they did the job, flew great, but i like my arrow to stay in the animal and expandables tend to "back out" after in them. i am going to try 4 bladed 100 grain hammerheads this fall and see what they do.

that's about it. i'm pretty one track minded when it comes to broadheads and most the people on the site know that.
wink.gif

Top Bottom