Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What are our favorite broadheads?

Does anyone have any experience with Rocket Ultimate Steel fixed blades? They’re supposed to be about the sharpest blades out there and field point accurate. According to their website the 100 grain took down the new SCI World Record Kodiak Brown Bear. I’m in the market for a new broadhead also and was thinking of trying these in 75 grain.
smile.gif

I've taken deer with 6 different broadheads & they all did the trick when put where it counts. I currently shoot a cut on impact fixed blade, 100 grain premium steel force. I can only say that I will probably never shoot any other brand. they are lasar sharp, durable & fly better than any other head I've used.

Kat, I hunted with the 100's last year. 7/8" cutting diameter. The deer expired 40-50 yards. Blood trail was miniscule and very trying at times. They are a good head.....I just want more cutting diameter. Another problem (may have been just the 100's) that there was not enough thread on the ferule to get a great snug fit. They fly awesome. Others swear by them. I am trying "another" new head this year.....still debating on which one though. Good luck.

Kat,I have actually shot the 75gr. Ultimate Steel you speak of.I will say they fly very well,just like a field point.I won a package a couple of years ago at a 3-D shoot,but didn't hunt with them being they were too light for my setup.I'm already pushing it with a 100gr. tip and didn't want to chance it.If they would have been 100gr. heads I would of tried them for hunting.My buddy took a big 170 class buck with the 100's,which he spined and got good penetration.He did lose one blade,but I guess you can expect this with a spine shot.Those are some tough little broadheads to assemble,being their so tiny.You almost have to use tweezers to install the small blades,but the overall cutting diameter of the 75gr. is one inch.The blades are .036 thick bacon skinner blades,very sharp.I didn't experience any problems with the one I shot with it seating all the way in to the insert,like Rudd stated,I believe they corrected that problem.And the 75gr. have an one inch cutting diameter compared to the 100's 7/8".I just can't comment on the durability and blade retention of this head,being I have no experience hunting with them.Though they do seem like one little tough head.If you can remember the adds a couple of years ago,Ultimate Steel supposedly beat the Muzzy in the Brick Test for durability?Good luck with whatever head you select.

one opinion i have on "razor sharp" heads is that they are too sharp. a razor sharp head means that the edge of the blade will likely fold over if it hits bone and not cut as well. i like my blades to be just slightly dull enough so they don't quite cut hair off my arm. still sharp enough to cut my damn knuckle to the bone (yes, it happened) but so sharp that the edge just rolls over when hitting a rib.

Thanks Rudd and PA. Good info. I was using Bloodtrailer broadheads but they don’t make them any more. I don’t think I would have trouble putting the ‘tiny’ blades together - an advantage of having small hands.
smile.gif
That’s an interesting theory muddy. I don’t know, I think that since I’m not pulling nearly as much weight (40 – 45 lbs) as you, I think maybe I should err on the side of sharpness?

good point kat. lower weight with a smaller profile broadhead will do ya up right. those smaller cutting heads will zip right through.

ahhh, the memories, when i shot my first deer my dad actually sharpened my broadheads down to around a 3/4 inch diameter so i would get better penetration with my lower poundage (40 pounds) and he was right. blew right through that monster button buck all those years ago!!

I shot thunderheads for along time, then about 6 years ago i went ot mechanicals and was shooting nap spitfires but last year i switched to grim reapers and i am very happy with the performance of the grim reapers great penatration and good blood trails

There is a well written article in the new IBA newsletter about broadheads. With so many good broadheads on the market today it is easy to get caught up in the which is best mode.

Regardless of your selection, IMO the focus should be on a well placed shot.

What can you do to be better prepared to make the shot when it counts? I have used 8 different broadheads over the years and they all put a deer down with proper shot placement. First one went down with an old hand sharpened Bear razor head. Any of you guys remember those? Now I enjoy a Muzzy moment in the woods.
grin.gif
Good luck this Fall!

Top Bottom