Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What is wrong with PEOPLE!!!

thebeav

Hey all just wanted to start this thread to blow off some steam and give everyone a forum to do the same or give a story about the "best" hunters you have ever dealt with.

Tonight i drive home from work down my gravel road and see a truck pulled over. Here comes two guys dragging a buck out towards the road on private property. They were in such a hurry the buck was literally still kicking and shaking its head as they drag it to the road. I stop and ask them you have permission to be in there i know the owners and know they didn't and they say no but he was over there (across the road). I say do you have permission to be there and they say no, but he was in the road ditch when we shot him. So I say so you were on the road when you shot him, they say yep and I say you can't shoot from the road and they argue with me that you can. So they then proceed to shoot the buck one more time and open their tailgate where the two of them have at least two other bucks in the back. So now I'm getting frustrated to say it nicely and I say what have you just been driving around shooting off the roads all day and they proceed to tell me yes. Then they quickly grab the buck not even gutted throw it on top of the others and run to the truck and speed off i try turning around fast to follow them but they are flying down the gravel road and i lose them when I turned the wrong way after a different truck. So pissed the buck in the truck was very nice and the one they shot by my house was very nice also. Call to the dnr as i am following them but we can't find them after I lost them. These guys are what give hunters a bad name, and if either one of them are on this site or read this post it was very disappointing seeing fellow hunters act that way.

Sorry for the long rant but it helped me blow some steam off. Happy hunting to everyone the rest of the year.

We have a guy in Sioux city that does this. He drives a gray Dodge ram pickup with a topper. Him and his wife go out road hunting and shoot deer from the road. We have caught them doing it along K-18 NORTH. Same thing happening everywhere. We have caught them dragging deer out all along the private fields. Dnr knows but to hard to catch him....

I did, they will probably get a visit at some point just would of been nice to catch them in the act.

These guys are what give hunters a bad name, and if either one of them are on this site or read this post it was very disappointing seeing fellow hunters act that way.

Calling them hunters is being EXTREMELY generous I would say.....

Shoot the plate info in a pm. Have family in law enforcement I can get the information and reply here.

These people are poachers not hunters, turn them in. As to the continued negative comments about gun hunters, there are slobs out there in all seasons. I have heard of people doing this with archery tackle as well.

Welcome to gun season in Iowa...........

That's bs!! there are people down by our farms who take out shotguns in their stands during archery season. Poaching goes on all the time down there. Poaching is poaching whatever season it happens to be done in.

Yes poaching happens all the time, however it always seems to increase around the two gun seasons.. Possible reasons:

1) more people out hunting=less likely to get caught.

2)gun season is short people feel pressured to get a deer causing them to push the laws

3) deer begin wintering patterns and begin feeding next to the roads making for easy opportunities for poachers

I see that point too, but also more people are out and about to notice things happening. Think back over the years in your treestand during bow season how many times you've heard shots at first or last light and you know they aren't shooting pheasants in the timber.

I see that point too, but also more people are out and about to notice things happening. Think back over the years in your treestand during bow season how many times you've heard shots at first or last light and you know they aren't shooting pheasants in the timber.

Pfft... Those are squirrel hunters. Jk.. I've never really heard shots from my stand except for the waterfowl hunters on the marshes and lakes

Pfft... Those are squirrel hunters. Jk.. I've never really heard shots from my stand except for the waterfowl hunters on the marshes and lakes
That's because your area isn't good ;) I dealt with somebody shooting off the road this year during bow season. My buddy watched an old white Branco every week come by with the windows rolled down, on the road, with a gun out the window. They never shot at a deer when he was in the stand (not big enough, I'm guessing) I dealt with a two door white pickup shooting off the road during the first part of bow season then they quit (Was during and after youth season).

With everyone carring a cell phone with picture capabilites it would seem easy to get pictures of people like this and the truck and the license plate and if the antlers all had tags on them. Then the DNR would have a case and not have to catch them litterly red handed to take action. Snapping photos can be very easily done and descretly, so do it.

You definitely did the right to confront them. We need more hunters that will ask these Q's to people that even look like they're doing suspicious acts. Unfortunately we are the patrol for the dnr because they are spread too thin. We need to also be careful on how confront these people because their blatant disregard may turn on us as well. Very sad.

And yes I agree that poaching/trespassing happens in all seasons (and out of season) and I know some really ethical gun hunters and bow hunters and then some who aren't. Just by pure #'s and ease, shotgun is the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I wish I would have taken pictures, in hind sight I should have stopped and just videoed them dragging the deer out of the field, but I guess I wanted to give people the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe they had permission in there. Then by the time I got to talking to them they were making me so mad I lost track of everything else except how bad these guys were pissing me off. Heat of the moment I guess.

Top Bottom