Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What the %%%%^^!^!!!

Maybe some feel their bucks are not "up to IW standards" or is it they don't want to tell everyone that there are quality bucks in that area?

Another thing that might account for the perceived "downfall" of this site is the pathetic rut we had this year. I surf around a fair amount and lots of sites are lacking harvest photos. Tough year.

From a guy who has been a member almost since the beginning, but yet not anywhere near the forefront of this forum, it's not the same. I don't know why, and I'm not blaming anyone. There was a day when I would've hesitated to share stories, pictures, etc., but not any more. Maybe others feel differently...who knows? I think it's also possible that the "newness" is just wearing off.

Either way, the PMA will continue to get my support, because this site, along with the FM site, are about the only ones I spend any time on. Keep on keeping on :way:

NWBuck

Feedback and replies, anyone remember T250? You may or may not agree with him, but interest? Everyone has there own opinion.

Feedback and replies, anyone remember T250? You may or may not agree with him, but interest? Everyone has there own opinion.

This site was at its prime way before t250. Who we really need back is Shortfused or the poster formally known as moose270 :grin:

I don't come here near as much as I used to because the non-resident haters seem to be taking over and the more level headed members are not stepping up. I just got sick of "this is our state and if you don't like the way it's ran then stay out!" posts.

Archertalk is dreadful at times but at least I'm not an outsider looking in on there. Iowawhitetail is becoming more and more for Iowa residents only.

It seems that when I would post something on here I would get a few responses if any but if Muddy, Ghost, Shredder or another popular member would post everyone would be pissing all over themselves trying to reply. Count how many times those guys get "well said" in their posts. They could make a post about taking a crap and someone would post "well said"!:grin:

Nothing against those guys whatsoever, it just shows the respect they have gained. Some non-residents on here such as shovelbuck and rackaddict get respect but they are rare.

Maybe I took it wrong but even in this thread G6 couldn't help but make a smart comment to the non-res member who said something about Nebraska.

My wife and I are considering moving our family across the river to Iowa for several reasons but mainly because we both work in Iowa and pay taxes there. If and when we make the move I will feel much better about coming here on IW and becoming an active member because I would no longer be a non-res.

Just my 2 cents.
Pat

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:
Lots of interesting opinions with this thread. I view this a topic that is
great to bring out in the open. My opinion is simply things change with time. Or this could be a trend.

Without doubt, I can be guilty of lurking here quite often and not contributing enough. Heck half the time I log in and come away happy with time well spent if I get to see a post by Shovel and the great avatar picture of him. Not saying I don't expect much but.....

IW is still by far the best site on the net. I wouldn't of become 1/2 the average hunter I am if it weren't for all the great information shared here in the past. If you post a "how too" question on the site today you will still get plenty of great responses.

Following up I had a friend and Iowa resident send me a PM adding to my comment above. He tends to not raise a ruckus so I doubt he will post it so I will post it for him as I think it needs to be put out there.

He thinks, and I agree with him, that this site has become more of a "good ole boys" club. He posted a story about his sons first bowkill and got five replies. Now if one of the "good ole boys" would have posted the same thing there would have been three or four pages of replies.

To be recognized here it seems that you either have to be in the good ole boys club or come in with guns a blazing like T250 did.

I will say however that it is better in PMA. Those guys there show respect to everyone that is a PMA member.

Following up I had a friend and Iowa resident send me a PM adding to my comment above. He tends to not raise a ruckus so I doubt he will post it so I will post it for him as I think it needs to be put out there.

He thinks, and I agree with him, that this site has become more of a "good ole boys" club. He posted a story about his sons first bowkill and got five replies. Now if one of the "good ole boys" would have posted the same thing there would have been three or four pages of replies.

To be recognized here it seems that you either have to be in the good ole boys club or come in with guns a blazing like T250 did.

I will say however that it is better in PMA. Those guys there show respect to everyone that is a PMA member.

After reading various replies, in particular the one above, I have some additional thoughts to share on this subject...

I think it is good that people share their true thoughts, good or bad, but I do not subscribe to the "good ole boy" theory as a reason that things are slower here. Realize that some people are friends outside of IW and/or got to know each other well on a personal level through various IW events over a period of time. Events like shed gatherings, where I think everyone was invited, or seeing each other at IBA banquets, where I can remember multiple posts inviting people to meet up or share a table, or gathering at the IW booth at the Deer Classic, etc, have allowed various people to become friends too. I guess I am saying that if a clique has formed it has done so in broad daylight with many/all being invited to the same.

In other words, it is natural to me that some people are more popular than others simply because of familiarity, some of which came by means and events that others could also attend but for whatever reason did not.

Speaking for myself, I reply to harvest posts probably 80% of the time and in particular try to congratulate the young hunters, but I don't always reply to people that I do not know. I have nothing against them, whether they are a resident or not, I just don't know them, nor do they likely know me. Ironically, if a given person posted more often I am quite certain that others would get to know them better and be more likely to reply to their posts.

I also REALLY do not think there is a bias against non-residents, as many of the more popular posters here are Iowa non-residents. But, I do agree that there are feelings present for non-residents that come across in these forums as pushing for changes in Iowa's game laws, particularly whether NR landowners should be guaranteed a buck tag every year. But the differences there are not really res. v. non, they center around the policies governing any-sex tags. I think there is a clear distinction there.

I say tell your friend to post more often and get to know people here more and I am quite certain that when he posts a picture he'll get more replies. If he can get to an event of some sort too, that would also help a lot.

I also REALLY do not think there is a bias against non-residents, as many of the more popular posters here are Iowa non-residents. But, I do agree that there are feelings present for non-residents that come across in these forums as pushing for changes in Iowa's game laws, particularly whether NR landowners should be guaranteed a buck tag every year. But the differences there are not really res. v. non, they center around the policies governing any-sex tags. I think there is a clear distinction there.

Well said Daver

Guys I will honestly say that one reason many don't post as often as they used to is because a picture of a less than trophy deer (shot by an adult) always receives negative comments about making sound management decisions. Many people still find a 110 in buck a huge trophy and are proud as punch....until they post. Iowan's that kill 150+ bucks every year are a very small minority of the active hunters. We all have our own views about deer management....and harvest selection...and that's just what they are....our own.

I love the site and check it multiple times a day! I too see many more negative comments from out of staters on here....but I guess that's because they want to hunt here....as a result of what we have done as citizens, government agencies, and hunters in this great state! If people aren't clammering to hunt here more often and for less money....then it's time to change:)

Guys I will honestly say that one reason many don't post as often as they used to is because a picture of a less than trophy deer (shot by an adult) always receives negative comments about making sound management decisions.
I don't recall seeing very many negative comments but it's a fact the number of responses goes up with the amount of inches a buck has. Unfortunately, I'm as guilty of that as the next guy.

My personal take on this subject is that we...IW let too many idiots stick around for too long. Just as much my fault as anyone else. In the process, some of out old time, contributing members moved on.
I'm only one person but In the future, I promise to do all I'm able to to insure this doesn't happen again.
I apologise if I let any of you down.
There's nothing we can do about the past, what's done is done. Let's make new posts and great informational stories. We.....you and all of us here at IW are the future of this site.
Time to move ahead.

IW let too many idiots stick .

I agree 100%. Espescially with all of the fake names lately and the immature posts. They were a little funny at first but like many have stated they are getting old and out of line. Just my 2cents.

There are certainly "clicks" on this site...rub one the wrong way or associate with someone they don't like and you're on the outside looking in. Not exactly a group I care to belong to.

Because of the "clicks" it's hard to generate any respect and without respect what's the point of sharing advice to someone's post?

What's funny is that some of the harvests in the PMA, something that costs money on IW to see...are shown for free on other sites...and I'm not talking about 250's blog either.

Be patient, it seems that people come out of their shell once sheddin starts...somehow showing an antler doesn't come with all the conspiracy theory that showing a trail cam pic does.

This site has been slipping for a few years, but then again it's not the only one. Might have something to do with the newness of having the internet and these forums, somewhat running their course. I mean, how many times can you talk about NR tags, deer numbers, NR landowners, forwarded emails, etc etc? Basically it's the same stuff over and over, nearly year after year...which it should be expected that some people will choose to take what they've learned and move on.

BTW - one of the biggest problems is all the hiding people do on this site. The people that make multiple usernames to live out all the characters in their bipolar heads don't provide a lot of viability to threads. In a way it's hard to take someone serious that only has a handful of posts...especially when they're usually the ones who start threads that say "who's heard of this gossip"

If the site can't handle all the forums then maybe the admins should ask themselves why a fishing forum exists on a deer hunting site? probably to just fulfill someones need to be an admin of something on this site is my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree with him, that this site has become more of a "good ole boys" club. He posted a story about his sons first bowkill and got five replies. Now if one of the "good ole boys" would have posted the same thing there would have been three or four pages of replies.

I have to admit, I don't give as much attention to a five year "Member" / "Lurker" with 49 posts as I would someone who has actually stepped up and been helpful in answering questions and sharing their family traditions and hunting passions with me personally. It is what you make it I guess. :way:

If the site can't handle all the forums then maybe the admins should ask themselves why a fishing forum exists on a deer hunting site? probably to just fulfill someones need to be an admin of something on this site is my opinion.

Ouch...

I haven't been here long enough to know the difference. I try to do my part. Some of you may not agree with the way I/others go about this, but it is what it is.

I will say, in my short time here I have seen some of the same topics posted over and over and over....and over. It gets a little old and to the point where I'm not going to write my input on the same topic 3 or 4 times. I also feel like there are some "popular" people and these folks get much more attention than others. Probably has a lot to do with them participating more but I also get the feeling from folks that, "if you don't post on here everyday then you're not worth my time." I know this is probably not intended for the most part, but it happens.

I feel like I'm fairly active on the site but when I was newer I kinda felt like I was getting the cold shoulder. It seems like if a top tier poster is gone for awhile there is a "where's whoever" thread. Even though I post quite a bit, I probably wouldn't get one. Not crying, just trying to make my case. There is definately a "click" kinda thing like TurtL pointed out, and that may be intimidating to some....

Some of the things I've seen on here are almost cult-like. One person may say one thing and then a really well-known person says the same thing and it's like a magical epiphony and everybody worships the ground they walk on.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this site. I have paid my dues because of this. So please don't think I'm a pessimist because I'm not.

Top Bottom