Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What would you have done about this???

KANSAN

PMA Member
I was talking to the wife of a landowner friend of mine the other day, and she told me how her son had shot a nice buck last deer season. After being shot on their land, the buck jumped a fence and went on to a neighboring property. Doing the right thing, they drove to the landowner's home and described the hunt, and where the buck had gone, to get permission to retrieve the kid's deer. The answer was an emphatic "NO". Absolutely not! The landowner was outraged they even asked. They left, and went back to their home to call the local conservation officer, to find out what to do. The CO came to the scene, and with his assistance they crossed the fence so the kid could retrieve his deer. When they arrived at the downed buck, all the antler tips had been sawed off. Apparently, the landowner had found where the buck had crossed the fence, and cut those tines off the rack while the young hunter's family had gone back to call law enforcement for help. There were no charges brought up against the neighboring landowner. What would you have done in this scenario?

In Iowa, you have the right to pursue wounded game animals if you are unarmed. Leave the weapon at the fence and follow up the blood trail is what I would have done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Iowa, you have the right to pursue wounded game animals if you are unarmed. Leave the weapon at the fence and follow up the blood trail is what I would have done.</div></div>

I would have probally done the same thing, although you could be asking for a fight. I've done it and had people tell me to "consider the animal harvested". Not the most ethical response on their part but back to your questions. Cross the fence, unarmed and retrieve the animal.

What to do now? Se Jay's step by step on tine repair in the sheadhead forum.

Well... if I were a landowner, I would try to make an agreement in the first place with surrounding neighbors to at least let me know if they were going to track a deer on my property as I know I would inform them.. To me, it's just common courtesy to do so, because If I'm planning a big hunt the next day in an area where someone tracked through, I would rather know if they were in there so I could adjust fire and hunt the other side of the property instead of wasting a whole day hunting tainted grounds. But, like JNRBRONC said,it is every hunters right to pursue the game you have wounded as long as you are un-armed on another persons property.... I think that your friends did the right thing by informing the landowner and I think the landowner should pay for his actions....especially for cutting the tines off.... that just does not make any sense to me at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Iowa, you have the right to pursue wounded game animals if you are unarmed. Leave the weapon at the fence and follow up the blood trail is what I would have done. </div></div> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

That sucks.

I had the exact same thing happen to me in 2001 when I was home on leave from the military. Shot a decent buck right at dark and he turned right behind me and ran across the river onto neighboring property (the river was only a foot deep). I went home, called the landowner, he said go for it. The problem was his son lived on the timber (who was always a real jackass which is why I didn't stop at his place) and saw my truck lights down in there on the field road and basically threatened me to leave before I could really pick up the blood trail. Not wanting a fight I left and went home and called the landowner again who was not home the second time I called. I figured I'd go back in the morning when the son went to work and get the deer. Went in the next morning around 7 and found my buck about 75 yards from where I'd parked the night before and it's head was cut off. Called the CO, got him out there but they never found the head so nothing ever happened.
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Not much you can do without starting a big fight which does nobody any good in the long run.

Sounds like the neighbor is a "pot banger" and no matter what would not have let them retrive the deer.... I know that my "redneck" side would probably come out if it was me....

A bad situation to say the least....

Mark....

The Hunter and family handled the situation 100% correct and ethically.

Waht did the landowner accomplish?
1. proved he was arsehole!
2. made sure that if it happens again he will be the last to know if he ever does
3.Ensured that the family will never go out of there way to help him.
4. probably angered the CO
5. Ruined a great moment for a lucky kid...nic job guy /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Probably could make a list of 100 negatives if you wanted to. Sad situation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jody Hadachek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What would you have done in this scenario? </div></div>

I would be breakin some knee caps

what a first class D

Well I think they did the right thing. And Im not exactly sure what I would of done it all depends on a lot of different variables but one things for sure Id be getting my deer one way or the other hopefully it wouldnt come to it but if its a fight he wants then its a fight he'd get /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

if something like that ever happend to me i would be spending a night in jail because i dont have enough brains to let it go when im mad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if something like that ever happend to me i would be spending a night in jail because i dont have enough brains to let it go when im mad </div></div>

Especially if its your sons deer.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if something like that ever happend to me i would be spending a night in jail because i dont have enough brains to let it go when im mad </div></div>

I'd be sitting right next to you. I thought about detailing my thoughts but decided to abstain on account of the younger IW readers.

I'd saw off his mailbox then get some roundup and write something not-so-nice in his lawn in the middle of the night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Heart Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd saw off his mailbox then get some roundup and write something not-so-nice in his lawn in the middle of the night. </div></div>

That's funny!

I've seen that round up trick - not pretty for the lawn owner! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've seen that round up trick - not pretty for the lawn owner! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

where's the cringing gremlin when you need him.

Top Bottom