Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's IA hunters feelings?

I intend to contact my state reps about the license fees and increase in NR tags. Don't get the idea I'm anti-nonresident, or want to close the borders to nonresident hunters and landowners. If you bought land in Iowa, you knew the law then live with it. If the law bothers you, then don't buy land. I will support a seperate class of tags for NR landowners but the cost should be high to level the field or provide money for public land purchases. I tend to believe that NR landowners manage their land well, one of my neighbors is a NR but accepts that the DNR has brought our deer herd this far- they may know what they are doing. I thinkthey do, I wish the legislators did!

What happened to Nonres., did one of the locals find him looking at potential hunting areas or is he just sitting back keeping quiet about where he bought his land? Im guessing 360 Ac in Wapello County.

Pharmer,
I agree with you, and that's all I would like to see, a seperate licence for NR land owners. NR landowners that spend thier hard earned money on land and taxes should be seperate from the NR that just wants to come and kill big bucks year after year with contributing much less. Some of the money the DNR is looking for could be easily raised with that simple addition. I will also be contacting the stae reps and tell them that I am not in favor of more NR tags, but am in favor of NR landowners getting permits.

Bighole,
Wrong property but good try! If you would have read my earlier posts more carefully it is only 240 acres. You should look into buying that 360 acres because if you don't you know a NR will. I am allowing an Iowan to hunt my property, his job is to keep off all the trespassers that I have been warned about.
Nonres

Nonres....but there you go buying a $240,000 guaranteed tag that most Joe Blows can't afford. Why put down the guy who can't afford to buy a chunk of property...a guy who saves his pennies to hunt here? Why should he be treated differently than you....when it is your own fault for buying land and knowing you aren't guaranteed a tag? Saying that NR landowners should get tags would only make our situation worse...we have the lowest % of public hunting in the US. That is one reason they are trying to keep things the way they are...so residents will have a place to hunt and it will not become a game for only the rich.

Bighole...we don't allow NRs in Wapello Co.
wink.gif

Nonres- I have hunted Texas and talked with several locals that would love to hunt but cant afford to. At best, some of them bought into a lease every 2nd or 3rd year. Many hunters in Illinois will tell you that outfitters and nonresident landowners have ruined that states hunting opportunities for the locals also. Why would you think we would welcome nonresident landowners with open arms. Should they be guaranteed a tag? Absolutely not. The vast majority of our hunting ground would be bought up by nonresidents and most nonresidents allow little or no hunting by locals and the little pressure that is put on the herd is not enough to keep the population healthy. We have very fertile soil and most does will have twins and our predation mortality is very low. Guaranteeing tags to nonresident landowners will absolutely be the end of quality whitetail hunting as we know it today. No question. Anyone in Iowa that doesnt believe this has not ventured far beyond our borders. If you are an Iowa deer hunter and feel as I do and have not contacted your State reps you are part of the problem.

Okay, I give up. Some of you fellows detest the idea of non-residents buying up rural property. Fact is that they are buying property that Iowa residents are either unwilling or unable to purchase. Our best hunting lands are not well suited for anyone wanting to try to make a living off farming. That means the land is only going to sell for hunting or for a private retreat. Many rural landowners are wanting to sell their land due to death, retirement, etc. If the locals are unwilling or unable to offer them a fair price, then what is the solution other than a non-resident or out of the area resident purchasing the property? The DNR does not have the funds to buy the property for public use.

JOHN V. I cannot speak for what goes on in other parts of Iowa, but where I am from, alot of the land is not offered at a "fair price" for locals. The trend is leaning toward highly inflated prices for recreational or hunting land due to the fact that some persons have made a tremendous amount of money selling to persons out of state. I cannot fault these farmers for making 2x as much for selling to someone from out of the area instead of selling to someone just down the road. But trust me if land were more fair priced, alot more locals that I know would be buying land to perserve a place to hunt.

I believe in the American dream if you can purchase land than I don't care where it is you had better be able to hunt on it!!
To everyone that said you can't buy land because of the price then do some research and let the logging of it and the gov't buy it for you.
I have a friend ,who is a resident ,just bought 190 acres financed it for 30 years took close to $100,000 of logs off of it, rented the tillable ground to a local crop farmer put the rest of the crop ground in the 10 year program put the bottom ground into a wetland reserve and rents the untillable and timber to a local cattle farmer. Then to top that off he has filed paperwork to turn it into a tree farm so no property taxes.He laughs on his way to the bank every month for the next 30 years while paying that off. With interest at 50-60 year lows you can't afford to not buy land right now.
So there is ways around the price of the land if you really want to go out and get some of it. To Waukon1 it is less than 30 miles from Waukon so the price can not be that much different in those 30 miles.
He is going to be able to pay for that land with hardly any money out of his pocket. Over the course of the next 30 years. If you put any price on his own pleasure the land is almost free.He is a die hard bowhunter and coon hunter with a young son who also will enjoy it. Most of you probably say "Yes but it is logged it won't be any good for hunting." Wrong !! The best place to be in pre-rut is nestled in some down treetops with a pair of rattling antlers and a buddy in a treestand or 30 yards down wind from the rattler it doesn't get any more exciting than that.

To NONRES
If you have a chance to buy that land grab it because with the ways that I have taken most of the money out of the factor almost anyone can afford it. If you are going to allow someone to hunt on your ground and to watch over it I would be happy to do that for you.
When all this legal stuff is over and say the Iowa gov't allows you doe tags on your land apply for all that you can. Since party hunting is legal in Iowa I will bring our shotgun and muzzloading groups to your land and if you are going to allow me to bowhunt and my group to shotgun and muzzleload hunt on ground that you worked and paid for I will put a $26 tag on an Iowa monster for you.

Rattle them in; I don't disagree with you that a person can greatly supplement bank payments by logging, CRP renting pasture or tillable acres. But, not all woodland is ready to be logged. Some log the hell out of their land before they sell it. CRP $ is a steady income, but there are no guarantee's that it will be here for 30 years. And you can make more by renting tillable land; but there is no guarantee from year to year. I know people who bought 2nd farms by putting thier first one in CRP. But that was when land was alot cheaper. If anyone Knows how to by a farm at $1500-3600/acre with no money down, that will pay for itself please let me know. I think that it's great if your friend was or is able to buy property that way. But, I think those oppertunities are becoming more rare all of the time. Just my 2 cents. If I were an expert I'd own a pile of land.

NONRES: If your land you are looking at is in N.E. Iowa, please email me when you have time. I may be able to provide a needed service for you. My email is [email protected]

I checked into some timber on the west side of Iowa in the loess hills. What a joke! It was all untillable ground straight up and down and the woman wanted $2100.00 per for it! She said she knew it was high and could come down a little but knows it will sell because she had sold some similar land for close to that amount to some HUNTERS from Nebraska! If she was a little more realistic I'd snag it with my brothers because it boarders our 240 acres we have now and it would be awesome.

I guess I'll just keep buying a powerball ticket and hope for the best.

To Waukon1 I should have been more clear he did have to come up with money down. He only decided to buy it after he knew what was on it for logs and then he chose the trees to log so exactly as you stated the logging company didn't log the heck out of it. The CRP is a pretty safe bet though our family has had 300+ acres in it for 15 years or so and it seems the gov't is always looking for more of our acres anyway.
I know that certain cattle farmers are also afraid of finding places to put their cattle so they will also sign contracts for years in a row so that is also a very good option.
I was just thinking out loud and letting people know that it can be done.
Can anyone believe that 8 or 10 tines on a deer's head drive people this crazy!!

Waukon1 -

I bet a "fair price" to the locals depends a lot on who you are talking to. The local selling it or the local who wants to buy it.

A fair price is whatever the seller can get for it in my opinion.

Bucky, Again, I can't blame a farmer for selling to guy (A) because he can get twice as much as selling it to guy (B). I'm not saying if I was in that situation that I would be the bigger person and sell to a local for less. What I am saying is that if you live in a certain area for a period of time you realize what the "fair or average" price that land is listed for. When you can see different parcels for sale that offer relatitively the same habitat, same tillable, and are in the same area, but one is 2-2.5 times more per acre. You realize who that person is targeting toward. Again, I don't blame them for trying to make more $$$. The fact is in these situations it doesn't matter if your a resident or non-resident, money talks. We have a great thing here in Iowa. Great people, beautiful scenery, and wonderful wildlife. That's been a secret of ours for a long time. I live in Allamakee county in N.E. Iowa and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I know that I could move to a different state and make more $$$ and maybe in 20 years move back and buy a piece of land, but I'll loose that 20 years in the place I love. That's the choice I make. That means I deal with people who are not local occasionally buying property. Yeah, sometimes I get frustrated when I see a parcel bought by one, but I can't blame them either for wanting to own a piece of "heaven". It's more important to me the character and integrety of the hunter, than where his home address is. I'd rather have 4 fair-chase, respectful non-res own property all around my own; than 4 locals who poach, walk through my property and treat every gravel road as a trash can. Just my opinion. Everyone, have a great day.

Swanny, You might need to try a little harder. I'm pretty sure the 360ac. I referred to sold to someone from Michigan or Wisconsin. Better luck in the future.

Nonres. , I got overly excited when you said you were going to allow one Iowan to hunt your land . You deserve much praise...That will be some excellent QDM.

Rattle the in, In my opinion your example of cost share has more impact on a non res buying land than the bonus of being able to hunt it. As a non res land owner I know I would not own my property without the help of a CRP contract. The investment opprotunity is the main reason I bought land, the fact that I can hunt on it and enjoy it year round is a huge bonus. I know several non res looking for land in Iowa who are not hunters, but recognize that in many cases once you get past the down stroke the land can pay for itself. This opprotunity is avialable to anyone ambitious enough to follow it, res and non res alike.

Rattle the in, In my opinion your example of cost share has more impact on a non res buying land than the bonus of being able to hunt it. As a non res land owner I know I would not own my property without the help of a CRP contract. The investment opprotunity is the main reason I bought land, the fact that I can hunt on it and enjoy it year round is a huge bonus. I know several non res looking for land in Iowa who are not hunters, but recognize that in many cases once you get past the down stroke the land can pay for itself. This opprotunity is avialable to anyone ambitious enough to follow it, res and non res alike.

I wasnt going to post again on this but I got a question.Actually I asked it once before but no one answered it.What makes you non resident landowners think you deserve more rights than non residents who dont own land?Am I the only one that sees a problem with that?Sure, we could guarantee you a tag every year.But then what should we do when the other non residents decide that isnt fair and they should be allowed to hunt here every year.It isnt that far fetched you know, as a matter of fact another state was just involved in a lawsuit brought by non residents who felt the lottery drawing in that state was unfair.So then what, should we go to over the counter tags for everyone?

Do you know why we have such good deer in Iowa?Becuase of unfair laws like the one you want changed.We dont let let everyone and their brother hunt whenever they want.Obviously you arent happy with the quality of deer you have in your state.Maybe you should try changing some of your own laws to improve your deer herd instead of worrying about ours.

Theres lots of things owning land in Iowa dont get you.You dont vote here, you dont get a Iowa drivers license, hell you may not even pay taxes here if you work it right.Nobodies crying about these other things they cant do in Iowa, just the deer hunting.

Rattle them in, that is a good example of how to get the land to pay for itself.But its also a good example of non residents taking money out of the local economy and putting nothing back in.You said yourself he dont pay taxes on it.You suppose theres a reason the cattle farmer didnt just buy the worthless ground for pasture?The only one making money off that piece of ground is an out of state bank, our state sure didnt benefit from it in anyway, we probably cant even tax the money he charges the farmers for rent if he lives in another state.The only ones thats good for are him and his banker.

Im real sorry if you all feel your being treated unfairly but it aint hard to figure out,think about it, you dont live here, your not a resident, you dont deserve to be treated as one.

Horst:

"What makes you non resident landowners think you deserve more rights than non residents who don’t own land?"

It’s so obvious that I didn’t waste my time the first time you asked. We own land and pay taxes, were not asking to be residents, were simply asking to hunt on our land every year. We knew the law when we bought the land, were just exercising our right to try and change it.

"Rattle them in, that is a good example of how to get the land to pay for itself. But its also a good example of non residents taking money out of the local economy and putting nothing back in. You said yourself he don’t pay taxes on it. You suppose there’s a reason the cattle farmer didn’t just buy the worthless ground for pasture?"

So resident don't put any ground into the Forest Reserve Program? I bet those darn NR 's came up with the Forest Reserve Program as well. You passed the law and now because people use it to save money you whine about it. Give the program a break, it was intended to give people a break on "useless" (you know the stuff us NR are buying) ground. If you don't like it, try and change it but I have a feeling that a lot of residents use it as well. You state we put nothing back, how many people here really believe that BS.

I can’t believe how much some of you guys exaggerate; you would think the sky is falling.

Tim
confused_em8.gif

Top Bottom