Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's IA hunters feelings?

To Horst:
You better read my post again my friend is a RESIDENT. Whose money went to a bank in Dubuque Iowa. He pays Iowa and Federal taxes on his payroll and figures if you can get the state and federal gov't to pay for land why not.
My statement was letting people know that if a 28 year old with a good work ethic and a good job can buy land to mainly hunt on than anyone can do it.
If anyone thinks that ground was worthless they must not have taken the 2 weeks he did to find almost $100,000 in logs on it. If that farmer that he rents to thought it was worthless I bet he is kicking himself over that $100,000 in logs right about now.
To anyone who thinks you shouldn't have rights to your own land is dead wrong. I don't care if it is in Russia if you own it and aren't poaching on it and hunt by legal seasons I feel no one can say anything about it.
Don't get me wrong residents I feel that Iowa has the best deer hunting in the U.S. and I don't think the nonres will change that if they live by the rules of the Iowa DNR. If they are going to spend there money on land to hunt trophy whitetail do you think they are going to kill the first 100 inch deer they see. I doubt it.
Take all the money out of the equation for all residents who say nonres shouldn't be able to hunt their own ground every year. Say that you a resident of Iowa was willed a tract of land in Colorado on some of the best elk ground in the country and the Colorado gov't told you you couldn't come hunt it. I would be *&#@@! off and write every letter I could think of to every lawmaker in Colorado and if anyone says it wouldn't bother them not to hunt their own ground every year they would be lieing to your face.

c'mon rattle and pybucks. You both know that the point Horst was trying to make was simply that owning land in Iowa does not mean you are contributing to the economy here. In earlier posts a N/R land owner used paying property taxes to justify how they are contributing to Iowa's economy so they should be rewarded, and all Horst was saying is that it is possible that via logging and CRP payments they are taking more out of the economy than they are contributing. I will add my 2 cents and say it is possible that non-res hunters who stay in local hotels and pay leases to Iowa landowners might even be contributing more. Intentionally taking someone out of context is just plain mean, unless you're politicians then it is understandable because you can't help yourselves.

And PYbuck, please do explain how a N/R landowner in the above scenario is contributing back to Iowa's economy instead of draining it. I will admit that non-res are probably very good stewarts to the land and environment.

And rattle, what rights does a non-res landowner have to change laws in a state they are not residents of? I am not saying they don't, I really would like to know. I thought state government officials were representing the people of that state so I do not understand your point?

IaCraig

I can not believe I am getting sucked into this, again!

Rattlethem in, I missed the part about your friend being a resident, i apoligize, but my point was pretty clear.

"Don't get me wrong residents I feel that Iowa has the best deer hunting in the U.S. and I don't think the nonres will change that if they live by the rules of the Iowa DNR. "

I agree, but their not willing to live by the rules set by the state, they want them changed to suit themselves, thats what this whole post is about isnt it.Try not to forget, these rules are why we have such good deer hunting in our state, cause we dontl et everyone hunt every year is one of the more important ones I feel.You cant take the money out of the equation either, hunting is rapidly turning into a sport for the rich, sad but thats the way its heading.

PYbucks, the only thing obvious is you dont live here yet you want the same rights as residents.As a non resident exactly where do you get off telling us your being treated unfairly, you are being treated just like every other non resident, even the ones that dont have land here.If you get tags here every year whats to stop the rest of them from getting tags here every year?Before long we would be selling them over the counter.It would only be fair, right?

If Im so full of BS please tell me what exactly you land owning non residents contribute?The Forest reserve is a good law.If it gives non residents a tax break great, just dont come looking for us to change other laws to give you more breaks.And none of you seem to have an answer for why you cant hunt deer in your own state, if your herds that screwed up maybe you oughta worry about fixing that first, then you can tell us how to run ours.Iowans enroll their ground in the reserve programs to.But they are also taxed on everything from their paychecks to whatever their paychecks go to buy.So you come up here and hunt for a week and your telling me you contribute that much?Cant believe how much I exaggerate huh?Lets hear how you all support so much here.

No reply yet but I sent the following e-mail to my reps last night.

I am writing in opposition to SF 18 as it has been written.
I live in Iowa City but own a farm in Van Buren county, long known as one of the premier deer hunting areas in the state my farm has always been a great place to hunt & relax.
I oppose the extra nonresident deer & turkey tags because this area of the state will receive the brunt of the influx from out-of-state hunters. Already leasing and selling has tied up a large portion of the area. It seems trespassing is also on the rise- whether this is from local hunters with lost access or nonresidents is unclear.
Please consider increasing the nonresident deer tag costs to what the market will bear and keep the numbers from increasing. Many people are turned away each year that apply, with an increase in cost- we may balance supply & demand for these tags.
As another measure, many out-of-state landowners have lobbied for special rights to obtain landowner tags. These owners knew or should have known the law when they purchased their land. They are still not residents and choose to live in areas of the country where they pay less state income tax or have lower costs of living. They choose to live in places that have higher wages than Iowa. If they are to get any special treatment, I would suggest a whole seperate class of tag. These should be priced very high- $1000 or more and the proceeds should be used to purchase public access land.
Thanks for your time & consideration.

IACraig & Horst,

I don't understand how you guys can possibly bust the chops of a 28yr old RESIDENT that picked up what sounds like a heck of bargin in his home state. The best you can come up with is that he is taking from the local economy. This guy is utilizing the programs that Iowa voters/taxpayers have passed over the years. For example the buffer, CRP, forestry, set aside, food plot, wetland programs etc. These programs are for people just like him, local farmers and myself that can't afford the land unless it's enrolled in these programs. Most people I know aren't buying land up by themselves they are getting two, three, four other guys to help come up with the down payment.

Confused about how much money do you want me to put into the local economy?

2003 estimate just from me.

Property Taxes $2000
Hotel Exp. 20 nights at $45=$900
Seed est. $1800
Paying local to plant $1500
Fence & Gates $300
Gas $350
Food $300
Total= $7150

Almost forgot $300 deer licence & $200 turkey licence.
Is this not enough?
confused.gif

IACraig - I don't feel a non-resident that pays no tax has the right to change the laws in Iowa. But on the flip side of it, whether a person pays $50 or $50,000 in taxes to that state they should have the right and that would be a noresident landowner. Well if nothing else at least you agree that we will be stewards of the land.

Nonres

To Ia Craig the point I was making was that I just feel it is wrong by any law or gov't to keep someone from doing what they love to do on land they sacrificed and worked and paid for honestly. To only be told NO when it comes to something they own.
Sure they knew the law when they bought the land but I just feel it is wrong.

I hope I didn't upset anyone I was just telling my feelings.
I have decided not to post on this subject again because we are all talking in circles. All we can do is state our opinions and leave it up to our votes and lawmakers.
Great Topic it kills some time in between hunting seasons on a great subject that all centers around IOWA WHITETAILS I love it !!

Remeber just stating my opinion didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I might meet some of you in the woods some day and you may take matters in your own hands and if you are running through the timber I will never hit you with my shotgun. Because isn't that everyone's excuse "Man he was just a running through the timber and I just couldn't hit him!!"

Ha Ha Thanks for all the replies and post on a very good subject!!

I just wanted to say 3 things:

1. Very good viewpoints, is there some way to forward this thread onto the Iowa Legislature to read? I really feel that there is good stuff here they could benefit from reading.

2. I also wanted to reply to the comments that "most states do it, Iowa is being unAmerican and unfriendly for being different." The factors required to make informed hunting legislation vary greatly between states, and just because legislation works in 1 part of the country it does not mean it will work equally well everywhere. That is why the Feds leave it up to the individual states to determine what is best for their area . Some of the factors I am talking about are "the % of land under public vs private ownership" and "the source and distribution of state tax $" and "how DNR programs are funded".

3. Lastly I wanted to do my part to help NONRES have the 1st post on Iowa Whitetail to surpass the 100 reply mark!

who ever would have thunk it

IaCraig

Nonres,
I agree with you more than you realize. We are not even that far apart on the issue of guaranteed buck tags for non-res landowners. You think it is wrong, and I agree it doesn’t seem fair but I feel that there is some valid underlying justification for it and simply repealing it will have implications that must be carefully considered. Also I hope you did not feel it was necessary for you to disclose your expenses because of my last economy post , it was not aimed at you. I already had you pegged as a person I was glad to welcome to Iowa as a hunter or landowner or whatever. Lastly I hope you reread my previous post, I think you will see that I was not busting anyone in the chops for buying land. I was simply pointing out that land ownership does not automatically mean a person (res or non-res) is paying tax on it, and if they are the tax is likely much less than the income.

Rattle,
I understand your last post completely, and I’m sorry for getting you caught in the cross fire. My feathers got ruffled primarily by PYBuck’s comment to Horst that “it was so obvious it wasn’t worth a response”, and I got a little carried away.

Anyway, I hope to join you land owners soon with my own purchase, but my wife thinks that we should be buying lake shore land instead because with all the baby boomers nearing retirement those land prices are going to be outrageous in a few years when I want to retire.

I will post again when it gets close to 200 !
IaCraig

Iacraig, I tried to stay out of this as well but I guess Horst ruffled my feathers when he said we contribute NOTHING to the local economy. Sorry but thats a complete exaggeration.

If I missed his point, sorry, but you guys are missing ours. We only want a chance to hunt our land every year. It's that straighht forward.

Horst, never once did I say I was treated unfairly. Stop putting words in my mouth and just read what I post. I plan to live by the rules or I wouldn't have bought land but don't tell me I can't try and change them.

Tim

Ok, im done arguing.Nonres, I didnt know the guy was a resident if you read the post and I was just pointing out it is possible to get land and not contribute nothing back.If you bought all that stuff locally I appluad you.Im a contractor and youd be suprised the number of people who move here and haul truckloads of stuff, building supplies, mainly from their home state.I run into it mostly with guys out of minnesota but im sure it happens everywhere else.

I dont care if you guys buy all the land you want, I cant and am not likely to afford it so that part really doesnt bother me.But if we start by changing the law to suit you then Im afraid its gonna snowball on us.There really are other states being taken to court by non residents who think the lottery system of giving tags out is unfair.If we give you tags every year it could come back to haunt us.Im sure even you wouldnt like the idea of owning ground here if the DNR was forced into selling tags over the counter to everyone.And just like theirs residents who wont let anyone hunt, there is also non residents that are just as bad or worse, except they also expect our local sherriffs office and or DNR to watch their place, instead of letting a few locals into hunt and watching it for them.Many of the things Ive pointed out may not apply to you, this aint a personal attack on anyone in here.If you wanna buy land go ahead, if you wanna be my nieghbor Id even watch your place for you, but Im not about to ask anyone to change laws that are so obviously there for a reason.I aint posting no more on this so if I offended anyone , well dont take things so personally

Simple solution to hunt your land every year. Go onto your land with all of your buddies, no weapons in hand, and drive every single deer out of there. Have the boys with the high fences right behind you putting it up as quick as possible. Buy yourself some whitetails and stock them on your land. There now you can hunt it every year and you can hunt your own deer.
See the deer in Iowa belong to EVERY IOWAN, not just us land owners and hunters. They even belong to the antis.
If you can afford to do this then I say "let them hunt"!
kaboom_spawn.gif

I don't know why this is repeatedly rehashed...

NR landowners-Owning property in Iowa does not make you a resident! Taxes, land stewardship, oh boo hoo I spend all of this money on my "(Insert stupid name here)Ranch" in Iowa and I'm not guaranteed a tag....

You got a problem with it, then sack it up and move here. Will somebody please delete this whole thread?

Hey what's wrong with naming your ranch?!?!
wink.gif
I wonder if any of these non-res's would like to spend all this money and help me thin out my coyote pack, I've got a lot of trophies in there and they are just as hard to hunt as a whitetail!

I want to thank everyone for stating thier opinions on this thread. That is what I asked for and I recieved it, some I agree with and some I don't and that's what makes this site so great. Iowawhitetail.com do I get my picture beside my posts yet.
wink.gif

Hopefully no hard feelings and if you see a truck with Michigan tags and a picture of the Wayne Bills buck on the cap pull me over and we can have a cold one on me. This is my last posting on this thread, it almost became a 125 post Pope & Young thread.
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Thanks Again,
Nonres

OK so I lied I will post just one more time Songdog post or call me I would love to help you thin your coyote herd. I love to kill those varmints.

See Ya!!

rattle them in,
song dog here, different handle, I'm at home now. I don't know where you live but when can you make it to Kingsley? I'm a little north of there and I have a spare room. And yes I'm serious. I was outside tonight playing with the dogs when my lab started the howlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. It is awesom the answers she gets!! I'm taking my nephew out tomorrow to see what we can call. And then i'm going to walk his little butt off looking for sheds!!

Email me if you're serious, or any one else would like to shoot the Moondawgs!!!
[email protected]

Speaking of land in Iowa, my hunting partner and I are looking for 80 to 150 acres of hunting land in SE Iowa. We are diehard bowhunters with modest working class incomes but we are very passionate about bowhunting. We would get a big kick out of improving the land, such as adding food plots managing the wildlife and trying to organize deer management with any neighbors who would be interested. If anyone knows of some land available, we will be coming to Iowa on February 15-16 to look at land. As for the topic at hand—it would be nice to draw a landowner tag every year but if we didn’t it would not be the end of the world as land stewardship is also a rewarding hobby for some.

Please email me (Troy) at [email protected] if you know of any good parcels of land.

Thanks!

I did check that site out Nonres, but they only have two peices of large land for sale and it is pretty open with very little timber or rough ground. I'll keep looking and thank you for the suggestion.

Troy

P.S. congrats on your 240 acre parcel!

It has been my observation that a lot of the land for sale is not listed with a real estate agent or being advertised for sale in the newspapers. Much seems to be up for sale by word of mouth. A good source is to talk with other guys who are seriously looking for land.

Top Bottom