Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Whats the best tires

I am getting to the point of needing new tires for my silverado. I was looking at the BF Goodrich Rugged Trails but a buddy just got some Cooper Discoverer AT3's and he likes them.

Currently have the stock tires, forget what they are but they have always been worthless on Level B's. Want a good all round tire that won't wear out in 10,000 miles and has a bunch of road noise. I have been on TireRack and read reviews on BF's but they don't have Cooper.

Any thoughts?

I know some guys running cooper at3 and really like them. I have 600 miles on the cooper ATP which was made for discount tire online. The tread design is a little more aggressive looking and they were on sale at the time. The tire runs great down the road and are as quiet as the stock tires on my 08 dodge ram. They also seem to grip well and not slip in the little amount of wet field I have been in since getting them. Way better than the goodyears that came on it. I have some family members that think customer service and warranty is great with cooper.

I have Cooper at3's but know nothing about tires. They are what my dad (farmer) told me to get. The aren't loud going down the highway and I have never had any problems in mud. I don't remember how they were in the snow since there wasn't much of a winter for it last year. Overall I like them but again I don't know anything about tires. I was able to save $50/tire by going to Manatt's in Brooklyn. Cost was $850ish driving away, I didn't think that was too bad.

I'm on my second set of Goodyear wrangled dura tracs. As long as they keep making them that's what I will be tooling around on. Have never let me down. no flats, great in the snow and mud. 10 ply and no whining on the highway. they wear great with proper rotation schedule. I think I put over 40,000 miles on my first set and I was pretty hard on them.

DO NOT BUY BFG tires they are nothing more than a pretty tire that appeals to the 16-21 year olds of the country. They absolutely suck on gravel, and they dont last at all. I had a pair crap out after 20k and I spent as much money on patches to fix holes from them being so soft as I did the tires to begin with. I put Firestone Destination MT's on 35k ago and I will get another 10k out of them with out a problem. They are a bit louder than AT's yes, but by far the quietest MT's I have ever had. They last, dont howl, dont chunk from gravel, and they still have great traction on the snow and ice. I will never put anything else on my truck again.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Toyo Open Country A/T. They look good and have a 65K mile warranty. Not knowing what size you need, they are about $164/tire for my Silverado at Tread Depot before shipping costs.

http://www.treaddepot.com/group/opat2.html

x2 on the Toyo's. I had them on my explorer and they were great. Don't know what you have for rims, but if you have big ones and need lo-pro's (I've got 22's), the cooper zeon LTZ's are pretty nice and very affordable. They wear well too. I know a guy that's got over 50k on his.

I second the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires. They are noticably quiter than the Cooper AT tires I had. The last set I bought was a set of 4 Cooper AT tires that had a 50,000 warranty on them. Rotated them as required to keep my warranty and only got 38,000 miles out of them before they were nearly bald, never again. Went back to the goodyears and have been super happy so far.

As soon as you start driving on gravel, the warrany is void! and any tire is going to wear out before the warranty period. That's what my salesman tells me.

The Hankook RF10 is excellent on gravel and quiet on the hwy and the Cooper AT3 runs very well also. Both of these have a much better casing than the BFG. I've been in the tire business for 20 yrs and i can tell you the question you asked is like asking what kind of bow to buy you are gonna get alot of different answers. What runs good for one guy doesnt do very well for the next everyone drives different. That being said the Hankook and Cooper are our most popular tires

I used to have 2 sets of cooper discovers. Then switched to firestone destinations. Love this tire! About the same aggressive tread, but the firestones are lasting waaay longer.

I used to have 2 sets of cooper discovers. Then switched to firestone destinations. Love this tire! About the same aggressive tread, but the firestones are lasting waaay longer.

I am glad I am not the only one that sees this. On our company trucks dad is running the industrial Firestones I think they are like steel force or steel tex or some thing along those lines. He said two of the trucks have over 50k on the tires now, and thats on construction trucks that pull trailers and travel lots of gravel as well.

Yeah my tire size is 265/65R18. Had Bridgestone Revo's on my old truck and liked them. Probably get something right after the first of the year. Good to know about BF's. Have to look at the others also. Wish tires weren't so damn expensive.

I have the coopers and like them alot. With the agressive tread alot of rocks get stuck in the treads. You can see rocks passing you going down the gravel road! You better have some good mudflaps.

DO NOT GET THE BF GOODRICH RUGGED TRAILS...........I just bought them last fall and I have had 4 flats and a blow out. They are already about 60% worn out and when I had to replace that blow out my tire guy had a hard time finding another one because they stopped making them. I like the BF Goodrich ATs but the Rugged trails suck. I really like my Nitto Mud Grapplers on My good truck but most don't like them because the are to loud.

Take a good look at nitto terra grapplers. I just put my second set on. 50k on the first set and that is running a hell of a lot of gravel. Mine are on a full size pickup in a 275/65r18. They run me just under 200 a tire. Had the gy silent armor on before and only got a little over 30k on them.

My friends and I use Bridgestone dueler revo 2nd generation AT on our 2500 hd silverado's. great tire. Lasts 40-50k. Load range E. Great in the snow. Quite.

Tire hits the front wheel well slightly when backing up and turning the wheel all the way. It's not a problem at all.

Top Bottom