Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which State will be the 1st to move it's gun season out???

I wish Iowa would only allow one buck tag per resident per year, landowners get a second, and the tag is good for all seasons. I wonder what 3 years would look like....

Your only allowed 1 buck during the mo rifle season. No party hunting, your tag, only you are allowed to use it.

I know your stance on seasons, but what if rifle only hunters, such as my grandpa, be forced to hunt outside of the rut, when he loves hunting the rut?

In all seriousness, I get that. I think that's the wall of resistance... Folks who who have had it a certain way for so long - don't want change. And I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I totally understand. For any change of any type, there's always 2 sides and strong & good reason on both sides. Why it's such a hard fight for anything with regulations (does seem though the crappy regs get thru far more easily now days than the ones that really do improve hunting IMO). It's not like 99% agree on a said regulation change so "no big deal". And why things that are right, like Romney defeating our disaster of a president, did not happen last year at this time :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: - always a mass of people who can reason out the right and good thing to do (in that case, thinking about what everyone else can do for them) (sorry on the off topic political rant).

I get you Nanny, tough situation and no solution is for anyone. Just like if we were starting from SCRATCH with NO seasons set up.... Some guys would say "well, I like to gun hunt during the rut- who are you to tell me no?!?!?!" and "I want to be able to do my farming & harvesting thru rut and bow hunt in peace during free time in rut (late gun). I don't feel safe during gun season as it's chaos - who are you to tell me no??!?". Always be unhappy sides. Why, I HOPE, the best argument and sound reason will win. and, yes, it's a DEBATE with both sides and I personally think one side has far more support on its side.

Last edited:
You can use a gun during rut its called Ringgold County bow season just ask the DNR . Its a joke usually hear it about sunset .

that's funny and sad right there!

I wish Iowa would only allow one buck tag per resident per year, landowners get a second, and the tag is good for all seasons. I wonder what 3 years would look like....

I'm game! Be fine with me anytime that one is proposed.

What above specifically have I been empty on showing? I was simply confused as to specifically what you were saying I haven't backed up so far. Please clarify on what exactly you'd like me to show and I'll do my best.

I actually like most of your management strategies so don't get me wrong when I challenge you.

Think any states will ever finally make the change???

Nope. They are stuck on traditions, just like Iowa.

If the goal of a state's DNR is herd population management, how does antler size/buck age structure figure in?

Good question!

That's not the stated goal of any state I can recall. Happy to give you goals, quotes, public stances of many DNR's across the country. Stated goals of many states & deer biologists of those states involve far more than population management.

OK, I asked already and I will again. Let's start with the Iowa DNR's stated goals. What are they?

And, what is the "state's" primary goal, and what should it be? Who should it be for? What is the state's definition of a quality herd? Is it in writing?

Again???

Actually, Iowa gun hunters have some excellent opportunities at harvesting a buck in post rut. I watched a buddy kill a 170" nontypical in late muzzle as he was chasing a yearling doe in circles! I personally killed a nice 8 during 2nd shotgun a few years back as he was hot on the heels of a doe as well, grunting every step of the way.

That's enough of an advantage for gun hunters, not to mention the deer movement from other hunters...and ability to party hunt and harvest deer for other hunters tags.. and deer are still responsive to some calling as well if not under pressure.

that would be a very poor argument IMO

I do agree, and it would be one I would not support, but I am sure there is some selfish gun hunter out there that could say I want to hunt the rut. "What about me" and other entitlement attitudes that others are guilty of too, residents, NRs, bowhunters, etc.

DONE! Thanks for the appointment!
Ok, guys some new rules coming down..... Gun season remains, Dec 7. Will never be made any earlier than 1st Saturday in Dec. Late Shed Buck season is now gone. Counties needing antlerless tags can do so in September. No other changes at this time. Please send suggestions to one of my staff members.

What I also took from this appointment was control of several neighboring states. Starting immediately.... MO will have a Dec 1 rifle opener (and double checking on this...) will be a 1 buck limit during that rifle season. It will be one week long. MN - starting today, your gun season starts Dec 5 in the southern half of the state. Upper half starts Nov 22. 1 buck and you're done. MI - No more 2 bucks... 1 buck and you're done. Gun season mirrors MN.

That's it for now. My mandates are veto-proof and we'll see how it goes for a couple years. The Deer Dictator can be re-appointed at a later date and I am looking strongly at tapping JNRBRONC for the position but we have to sit down to make sure he's ready! :way::D:drink1:

I would support all of this, but for herd health.... it does nothing.

Ok- got it. I will respond with that and ur requests when at computer. Got it. One thing for now.... Ur last part or question.... I would strongly make the claim Iowa has far better "herd health" than its neighbors. Same with Kansas vs its neigbors And Ohio vs its neigbors. Evidence of that I would site is: age class harvest data (yes, that's part of herd health & yes iowa is lacking this data but should be agreed and well known) deer die offs almost non existent in these 3 states (herd is under carrying capacity), what most see as EVIDENCE by the fact they attract tens of thousands from those neighboring states while few leave (don't have stats on that but I think we all know its true), etc. can we agree age structure is better in Iowa vs going across the border to MO? Leading the herd to better health thru natural competitive breeding at higher degrees, etc. better herd health and more mature deer will also lead to larger bucks- why IA, OH, KS all have 300" deer from the state. Yes- others do as well but I think we all know its no coincidence these 3 places all have had 300" deer and we all know most the huge bucks killed will likely in un-proportionately come from these places. Obviously we could go on. I will reply to above. I sure hope folks can agree herd health is not just deer #'s or ya- we will just disagree on that.

As an outsider looking in I'd say one reason ia has better herd health bc ia is one huge foodplot with fertile soils. Yes, neighboring states would be similar in areas for sure but take northern mn. One cannot expect ad a whole that area of swamp, acidy pine soils, to have what seems to be the standard of healthy deer on this thread, bigger antlers. Hey, I could be wrong and I've got no dog in this fight but sign me up as hoping to read some sound answers to the many good ? 150 asked.

Don't hold your breath. Tradition often trumps common sense.

It will here in MO for quite a while looks like.

Best MO could do is go to a one buck limit. Sure would make people think before shooting young deer just before rifle starts when they get a redo of sorts to shoot another one with a rifle. Public input favored the AR's over a season move (that was on the ballot too for public input)...along with earn a buck.

The other "problem" with MO is the 500,000 gun hunters we have compared to the other states total hunter numbers it is not even close to the same. Baby steps here is what they would have to do, one buck limit would be a start, except for many landowners or something.

Overall, MO would be better than IA as a whole given season placement and fewer hunters like IA. We have way more deer and way more total habitat state wide....I just do not see season changes happening for maybe another 20 years :D

Last edited:
Coming from a Missouri landowner trying to manage 4,500 acres..I absolutely HATE gun season being right in the middle of the rut and using centerfire rifles. It is the worst thing a person can imagine for trying to manage big deer. But if you mention it to missouri hunters (like on missouriwhitetails.com forum) they get so defensive over their deer rifles. Its ignorant. We HAVE the land potential to be just as good as you all up in Iowa, the only thing thats different is the gun season and the NR restrictions... I cant stand the mentality of missouri hunters

Sheesh.... if I were controlling 28 and a bit quarter sections I am not sure I'd be worrying a bunch about others.
Most are just happy to hunt let alone "manage" multiple square miles. Glad I live a looong ways from you.

In Minnesota the traditional guys like the gun season during the rut (early November). In 4 of the past 10 seasons the start of the gun season has been to warm to even hang a deer overnight. In three seasons it has rained with lightning in my area. The season would fit much better in mid to late November, like Wisconsin. Still shoot plenty of bucks, and the temps will be colder, possibly snow.

It would save some small bucks that get shot early in November, and it would be a more natural rut, instead of every buck hiding out in the thickest swamp in the county to avoid gun hunters.

I remember some awful cold and heavy snow hunts in Minnesota over the years. Some of those years late November would have been fun! At that point, I would have converted over to ice fishing..

Yes I would! I'm heeded to Montana at the end of the month. Last time I was there we got hammered. Waist deep snow and mountains was fun.

Maybe it's just that I am from Indiana, but it is one of the MOST overlooked states in the Midwest. It's between Illinois and Ohio... And it's just as agricultural in the top 2/3 of the state as Iowa, Illinois, etc. Indiana's gun season is 2 weeks long and always ends the weekend after Thanksgiving. Only shotguns, muzzleloader a and certain handgun rounds are allowed. And also it is WAY different than shotgun season in Iowa. Hardly anyone in Indiana does drives. I grew up hunting Indiana and I've always stand hunted there. Granted you do have a lot more range with a gun, but you only get the second half of November, so rut is usually trailing off when gun season starts. I think it presents a pretty a pretty level playing field for bow hunters and gun hunters alike. And any out of state guy can hunt for $150. No drawing of tags or tag lottery deals. Granted this hurts the state a little when it comes to big bucks, but there are still plenty around.

Maybe it's just that I am from Indiana, but it is one of the MOST overlooked states in the Midwest. It's between Illinois and Ohio... And it's just as agricultural in the top 2/3 of the state as Iowa, Illinois, etc. Indiana's gun season is 2 weeks long and always ends the weekend after Thanksgiving. Only shotguns, muzzleloader a and certain handgun rounds are allowed. And also it is WAY different than shotgun season in Iowa. Hardly anyone in Indiana does drives. I grew up hunting Indiana and I've always stand hunted there. Granted you do have a lot more range with a gun, but you only get the second half of November, so rut is usually trailing off when gun season starts. I think it presents a pretty a pretty level playing field for bow hunters and gun hunters alike. And any out of state guy can hunt for $150. No drawing of tags or tag lottery deals. Granted this hurts the state a little when it comes to big bucks, but there are still plenty around.

What planet are you on? I'm an Indiana resident and our season is a joke! Nov12-16th start and runs 16 days. The. We take a week break and bring in another 16 day firearms season! We also allow a youth firearms season. The we decide the bring in a late doe only gun hunt to kill our shed bucks.

Our average tract of land is maybe 40 acres at best. We allow anyone to get a landowner tag, we don't limit NR hunting. Hell the only positive we have is a one buck rule. If we had one tenth the sense of Iowa we would have much better hunting.

Same planet as you buddy. I've got a couple on the wall that say Indiana isn't so bad. I think it's well rounded. There's something good for everyone... It's not a monster buck state. Every state could ise some improvements. and I don't like the extra doe season, but to each his own. Over 90% of bucks still have antlers during the doe season, though I'm still not a fan of the doe season. Iowa isn't much better than Indiana. I hunt both states every year.

If you saw the orange army here in Iowa, you'd be glad to be hunting Indiana. It's crazy how people do drives around here. It was pretty hard for me to accept it the first year I was here. I honestly still don't understand how people call it hunting, but tradition wins out.

Top Bottom