Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Who shoots with a wrist sling?

Used to have one, got tired of it. My old Q2 has a small enough grip that the bow just "rattles" in my hand. You don't need a sling to have a surprise release. Best two things I ever did for my shooting a few years back was begin opening both eyes instead of just my right, and shoot at three yards at a big target for literally days until I truly developed a surprise release. Aiming is always my second concern when shooting after focus on release.

Sorry to steal the thread but everyone keeps talking about a suprise release, are you using a back tension? If not how is it a suprise?

I have always used one and I always will have one.

I never worry about shooting with an open hand with a sling on.

If you are worried about the sling getting in the way of a quick shot, just do what I do in those situations and just don't put your hand through the sling.

From my limited experience with a compound I feel (at least for me) that the suprise release is only legend. I hear it talked about all over the internet andI have tried to pull it off as described and when I do, I usaully am way off target.

I have much better luck with a floating pin triggering it when its on target.

Personally, I want to know when the release is going to be triggered. Especially in a hunting situation.

I think this should make for good discussion. I am curious as to how others more experienced than myself shoot.

Lets hear it boys.

I've got one, I like it and use it. Never gets in the way for me. I'm with you on the floating pin and release DOR, I'm the same kind of shooter.
grin.gif

I use a wrist sling (not a problem getting my hand in it since I never set the bow down while on stand).

I am a release trigger slapper.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I use a wrist sling (not a problem getting my hand in it since I never set the bow down while on stand).

I am a release trigger slapper.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They way I'm shootin' lately, I might as well have my whole arm in a sling!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ain't that the truth!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You Funnyman! I think I only got beat by 10 points! Hmmmmm? You must be pretty good!!!
wedgie.gif
wedgie.gif
wedgie.gif
wedgie.gif

[ QUOTE ]
From my limited experience with a compound I feel (at least for me) that the surprise release is only legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

No myth or legend about it, at least for me. Same goes for my muzzleloader. There are many very good trigger punchers out there but learning to not do that has been a very good thing for me and is how you will see most top archers shoot their bows.

[ QUOTE ]
From my limited experience with a compound I feel (at least for me) that the surprise release is only legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the last issue of BOWHUNTING, Patrick Meitin would agree with you, Bill Winke would not. That tells you how divided archery shooters are on this subject.

Personally I thought the surprise release was a myth too just a couple of years ago. Then my wife and I moved into town, the only place I could practice was inside the house. As I stated earlier, I practised from about three yards away. At that distance you don't have to worry about aiming and you can focus solely on release. I takes tons of concentration at first, but with practice you can get it. Once you developed a surprise release, you'll know when you've punched the trigger.

You don't have to have a back-tension release for a surprise release (no rifle trigger has back-tension), it does help teach you to do it at first though.
With the drop away rests the need for a surprise release has been minimized some. But I still feel it's the best thing I've ever done for my accuracy, for the first time ever I can now outshoot my brother-in-law.
grin.gif

So you are saying to ease into the triger and not pull it, right?

I do that as it is a nice slow press of the button, but i will tell you after about 20 shots of any release in my hand (with a triger) where it is going to go off as i am easing into the release.

Nikon, yes, just an easy pull of the trigger. What helped me was finally breaking down and buying a high quality release. I'm a big fan of the "short and sweet", I think it's made by truball. As long as the bow jumps in my left hand, I know I've had a surprise release. When I flinch my left hand simultaneously grips the bow as my right pulls the trigger.

[ QUOTE ]
So you are saying to ease into the triger and not pull it, right?

I do that as it is a nice slow press of the button, but i will tell you after about 20 shots of any release in my hand (with a triger) where it is going to go off as i am easing into the release.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should never think about the release going off. You should be concentrating on your shot sequence instead of the trigger.
I can tell you that I shoot a index release with back tension and I dont know when the release will go off. I do know that if I'm holding to long and the release hasnt gone off then I need to let down.

Push, Pull and squeeze....
follow that sequence and you will shoot better....although the heat of the moment may not allow for such percision.

however the surprise release thing is from shooting a backtension....i know of a guy who tried to hunt with it and gut shot a deer, he got lucky and found the deer a day later, but a poor choice while hunting.....you are more likely to punch a trigger, but back tension is for target shooters, not hunters...

Top Bottom