Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why not shoot the 3.5 8 pts?

Hi,

I would let those 3.5 year old 8-pointers grow into whatever they turn into. Keep in mind, not all deer a guy sees in the field as an 8-pointer will stay that way. In many cases, an 8 one year, will be a 11, 9, or 15 pointer the next. I passed on solid 8 point 150 class buck one year, for instance -- then spied on him throughout the next year via trail camera, and, voila, he became a 17 pointer, with a 5 x 6 main frame with a gross score in the 160’s! There is no way to make accurate future size and point predictions of a given deer based on speculative guesses on what they presently look like. ….

I have noticed the same things in different locales over time. Some areas seem to have more 10’s, more 8’s or whatever. However, I’ve not noticed this trend to become iron- stamped and never-ending in a region. Over time, these things change, as wondering bucks of various size and ages breed area does. And don’t forget, most bucks on a given property aren’t born there! Most bucks settle territories as youngsters, having been kicked out of the family group by momma doe. These yearling bucks take up residence where they are allowed to and are constantly bringing a change of genetic code to the deer in the area.

I strongly do not agree with the common notion that it takes huge chunks of land to grow trophy deer in Iowa! I have seen way too many exceptions to this. I have seen many 40 and 80 acre parcels out produce parcels 2-4 times bigger in term of trophy buck production. The main ingredient needed for Iowa deer to get huge and high scoring has nothing to do with genetic antler point traits and everything to do with habitat management. That is, the best properties are always those that have everything a buck needs to live at least 4.5 years: food, water and HEAVY cover. No matter how many points an Iowa buck has the genetic traits for, he will be BIG in 4.5 years and will usually have a rack few people would pass on. Take for example, a buck I was lucky enough to shoot a few days ago. This buck I passed on last year as a low 150’s 8-pointer. This year he retained his 8 pointer status and will likely miss the B & C records by just an inch or so (lucky for me, there are still some really dumb buck wondering around where I hunt)! This farm has produced several bucks in the 160’s over the past few years yet is significantly smaller than 100 acres in size. It DOES NOT take big acres to grow big bucks in the Hawkeye state. It just takes quality habitat and letting those deer live long enough to get big.

Good luck in the woods!

Best,
Rich Waite

Sorry I hit "post" instead of "preview" there so there are a few typos in my response above!

Best,
Rich W.

I see your typo... "Cyclone State"

Anyway, I totally agree with you Rich, congrats on that pig. Don't forget me on your email list!

Maybe it doesn't take large acreages to produce an older buck, but what makes one think an older buck will stay on ones property. Most of my 40 I leave alone 95% of the yr. Some areas are really thick. I leave prime areas alone for all wildlife to feel secure in. But at this time of yr deer go roaming, and many neighbors are ready to shoot them. So who knows what survives? I have never seen the same buck twice in a yr let alone next yr.Helps if neighbors have let live policy like you, or me, but many of mine are trigger happy. Not to mention farmers who think all good deer are dead ones!

Now I know some deer can get to huge proportions as an 8 pt. Seen it happen many times as well through trail cams and others experiences. I guess one of the scenarios that is in my area is a tremendous amount of deer. Now I feel like if i wanted to really manage this place for trophy deer I want to bring the numbers down.

I would want to start w/ mature does first and then the 3.5 + 8 pts. There are too many nice young tens that I believe will stay in the area somewhat w/ out added pressure.

Now obviously in IA we don't have enough tags to do this much damage but I do believe if you have an over abundance of deer and 8 pts you would want to use my scenario above. Couple this w/ proper nutrition and great habitat and i believe that you could create more trophy deer.

Raven, I do agree w/ you on habitat and I truly believe that this is the best big buck producer you can have. But I believe when you couple that w/ food and low pressure you will see a lot more deer there. Which personally as much as I like seeing deer in the field I would rather have a spot w/ great habitat and lower amount of deer. I just believe for thee majority of the season it will hold more mature deer because of the less stress from other deer.

My thing is if I want to bring the numbers down and keep my genetically superior deer there why not shoot some of those 8 pts w/ the does?
I know you can't predict what a deer will be in the future but I have seen enough deer that were 8's alot more times than not turn into a low scoring deer. The odds are just better if you have a 3.5 145" 10 and a 3.5 130" 8 that the ten will be a more potentialy better deer.

Now really I am living in a dream world in thinking that i could achieve this w/ smaller amount of acres to hunt and not enough tags but I think if you had these possibilities you could better the trophy deer.

Raven, I don't believe you that shot that big of a deer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif You have to prove it to me. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He did, I saw the pictures, giant. </div></div>

I would like to see a picture of this giant as well. You know... just to make sure muddy is telling the truth! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I think you should harvest the lesser 3.5's if that age class works for you. I would not shoot the biggest 3.5's as they will prolli be the biggest 5.5's. Sure some 120, 3.5 8's will turn into something special, but all those 5.5 year old bucks that are 140-150 have to come from somewhere and they are not the 150 inch 3.5's I doubt.

I would either shoot the lesser 3.5's or let them all go to 4.5 and not shoot because of antler size then. Take the first 4.5 that presents a shot for instance.

Top Bottom