Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wildgame cams

I know! I was bored, thought I'd use a little dry humor. I hate the celebs pushing products is all

OMG!!! You are so late on this information. Plus for the price that they are, they are not that bad of a camera. I feel a lot better with a $80 camera hanging in the woods on public rather than a $200-$500. I've ran them for two years now and have had no real issues.

I won't spend my money on one. Battery should last forever with .7 to 1.3 trigger speed its taking 1/3 the pics of better cameras

I won't spend my money on one. Battery should last forever with .7 to 1.3 trigger speed its taking 1/3 the pics of better cameras

Opinions always vary on cameras. There are a ton of guys using Covert, and many of them are pretty serious land managers. I'm sure they have tried others.

Last edited:
Lots of bad reviews as well. Why people get bent over someone not liking what they like is beyond me. Plenty of land managers don't know any more than the next guy.

I gave Cuddeback one last shot with a few E2 cameras that I am happy with. Also have a Bushnell Aggressor red glow that so far is great. Think I will be going with that if I get more, but for now I have 4 cameras and that's more than I have time for. I personally hate slow trigger, and I dont use video much nor do I want a cellular cam. I can't spend 500$ on cams anymore, but under 140$ I have only found poor cameras. All depends on what you are looking for. Covert, Stealth cam, Moultrie, Wildgame, I cannot see spending on these unless is was for use on state and I paid 50$ and figured they were most likely getting stolen.

I know of poor land managers that use reconyx so I am not sure trail cam brand is a deciding factor.

I have used a wide range of brands so far I can't say that one camera has blown me a way being better than any others. They all seem to have there ups and downs. IMO good batteries are more important than the camera

Here are some of my personal findings and in no way meant to be an attack of anyone's loyal brand and preference. Sadly the only cam that has consistently chugged along for season after season is that darn overpriced Reconyx HC500... And I'm not thrilled with that narrow field of view and having to lock it to the tree 10 different ways to keep it from walking away.

Browning Spec Ops - Crappy, blurry, unrecognizable night time pics for me. Ran two of them for 6 months before I gave up.

I was having phenomenal luck with the Moultrie 990 brand until I had a recent run in with their customer service (2014 990i). I've sang them praises multiple times on here and other sites...never again. I had a camera that was one month out of warranty and has shot craps. The "customer experience" rep was not helpful at all and was borderline rude. She was so nice to offer 30% off a new cam (that I could still buy cheaper on Amazon, LOL). They do have a stated warranty so I guess I can't call sour grapes, just don't expect more than one blissful season out of them.

Multiple Bushnells - decent performance for a single season, then usually a crapshoot. Poor performance in ultra cold weather - 1000's of false triggers. (I still have a Bushnell HD model from 2010 that generally works).

Wildgame Innovations - don't get me started. I gave them three tries, the worst performing pieces of outdoor gear I've ever purchased. They must've bought the Lakosky's a private jet for them to sponsor them.

Cuddeback- also, no point in beating a dead horse. Worthless piece of plastic in all of my experiences.

I have really high hopes for these USA Trail Cams, they will probably be my next "disappointment" :).

I've never tried a Covert.

Those Wildgame brand cams are pieces of crap. Would never buy anything they make again.

I have had really good luck with the Moultrie M80/880 series. Have some M80s that have been going 4 or 5 seasons with thousands of pics and still going strong. Only complaint really is some of the night pics are blurry if the deer is moving.

I have heard of some people happy with the covert cams. Never tried them but curious to hear any experience people have with them.

I have heard of some people happy with the covert cams. Never tried them but curious to hear any experience people have with them.

I have a Red 40 and Black 60 I won't even place in the woods. Slow trigger speed, green pics at night, and blurry pics. I have pics of deer 15 yds away at night that are so blurry you can't tell a doe from a spike buck! I sent the Black 60 in for a new replacement that isn't any better than the first cam. The customer service is good, but the cams are basically worthless except for daytime plot pictures where a deer will be standing.

This is my usual night pic quality with wildgame. Looks like a beast with 4 brow tines but I can't quite tell :/

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1960&pictureid=19165

picture.php

Last edited:
Re

I have a Reconyx on a tree for over 2 years now with the same set of batteries still going strong. It takes several pics a day as it watches over my driveway. I cant say any other camera I've tried has been able to even come close to that performance. You get what you pay for...

Top Bottom