Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wildgame cams

I have a Reconyx on a tree for over 2 years now with the same set of batteries still going strong. It takes several pics a day as it watches over my driveway. I cant say any other camera I've tried has been able to even come close to that performance. You get what you pay for...

You could have bought a lifetime supply of batteries for what that cost compared to others.

I have a Reconyx on a tree for over 2 years now with the same set of batteries still going strong. It takes several pics a day as it watches over my driveway. I cant say any other camera I've tried has been able to even come close to that performance. You get what you pay for...

Holy cow, that's awesome battery life! It would be hard to justify though since I can put out 3 or 4 coverts for the same price. I learned that rechargeable AA's aren't worth it compared to standard AA's or lithiums. It seemed like I couldn't get more than a month or two out of the rechargeables.

Holy cow, that's awesome battery life! It would be hard to justify though since I can put out 3 or 4 coverts for the same price. I learned that rechargeable AA's aren't worth it compared to standard AA's or lithiums. It seemed like I couldn't get more than a month or two out of the rechargeables.

I agree, you can buy Coverts for much cheaper--- have more locations and you will still have plenty of battery life.

I bought a cover 3.0 in 2011 and despite the bottom cover falling off last year and being full of ants the year before, it keeps on grinding. The night videos don't work right anymore, but pictures are still good (I don't do videos much anyway). Can't complain about getting 5 years out of an electronic device that is out in the elements probably 8-9 months out the year.
Two years ago I also picked up a cheap Moultrie A5. The first one quit working after a couple months, moultrie replaced it for me. Second one has been doing fine. It's cheap, with very few features, but it takes decent pictures and hasn't caused any problems. It's VERY sensitive though. Don't put it on a flimsy tree or in a grassy area or you will have tons of pictures of grass swaying in the breeze.
This spring I also got a Covert red 40 and so far so good. Very nice camera and (both coverts) run forever on 4 AA's.

re

I guess the point I was trying to make other than the battery life is that I have NEVER had another camera make it a year in the field without failing. Not talking about just the batteries but ALL of my Coverts, WGI, Cuddebacks, Moultrie's, Leaf Rivers, Stealth, and Bushnells have failed me when leaving them out year around! I mean they BROKE!

I guess the point I was trying to make other than the battery life is that I have NEVER had another camera make it a year in the field without failing. Not talking about just the batteries but ALL of my Coverts, WGI, Cuddebacks, Moultrie's, Leaf Rivers, Stealth, and Bushnells have failed me when leaving them out year around! I mean they BROKE!

That is very odd and extremely unlucky. I have only had one camera fail after one year and that was a demo product. Of all the guys I know that hunt, I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 times where the camera failed in less than one year.

I've owned Cuddeback, Stealth Cam, Bushnell, Wildgame, Wildview , and Moultrie. Hands down Moultrie has performed the best. I use 880's and 990's. Never owned a Reconyx.

That is very odd and extremely unlucky. I have only had one camera fail after one year and that was a demo product. Of all the guys I know that hunt, I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 times where the camera failed in less than one year.

Do you leave them in the woods all year long or take them down intermittently? I use mine for security so most of them stay up. Have never had any last over a year on a tree except Reconyx. Some have been on trees for 3 years now without being taken down or turned off. Done buying junk!

I have cheap HUNTEN cameras ( 3 of them) I bought three years ago for $30 each from menards and they haven't left the timber in 3 years. Just put new batteries in every few months and all 3 of them still work. Also never had any of the dozen wild game cameras break on me- ill just consider myself very lucky.

I have 2 MP8 coverts that are 3 years old. They have been very nice cams but are very touchy. If I have them in an area that can catch an easy breeze it seems the slightest thing will trigger movement. I have learned that area prep is half the battle with trail cams.

I bought 2 stealth 3 years ago, don't recall the models but they are middle of the road cams. I hated them at first but once again, I finally spent some time learning some basics of trail cam set up and now they work fine.

Last year I bought the Moultrie Panoramic 150i. I use it strictly on wide open areas like food plots and have been pleased with the performance. It has limitations but I know and expect that. It is noisy but the deer do not seem to mind it too much.

I should qualify that I do not hang cams until July and pull them in January, in part to save on batteries but mainly to make the cams last.

I am firmly convinced that site prep and picking the best possible situation for the camera make the difference between so-so pics and decent pics. Things I try to consider:
1. What is the likely direction of deer movement.
2. Sun path in relation to cam placement.
3. Obstructions in view...grass, weeds, crops, fences and how the wind blows them all...
4. Above all else...cam angle and height.
I was late to the party on cameras. I was fortunate to have some good friends who taught me alot about cams and the best advice I ever got was to invest in camera hangers. Made a huge difference to me.

Everything on here seems like common sense but I can tell you all, I made several mistakes hanging cams through the years.

Do you leave them in the woods all year long or take them down intermittently? I use mine for security so most of them stay up. Have never had any last over a year on a tree except Reconyx. Some have been on trees for 3 years now without being taken down or turned off. Done buying junk!

Take them down in January. However, I leave 2-3 til April in Iowa with no issues?

I have cheap HUNTEN cameras ( 3 of them) I bought three years ago for $30 each from menards and they haven't left the timber in 3 years. Just put new batteries in every few months and all 3 of them still work. Also never had any of the dozen wild game cameras break on me- ill just consider myself very lucky.

I also bought 3 of the HUNTEN cams. They were $39 at Scheels. They have been in the woods for a full year and I've only changed batteries twice. The pics are just fine for me. Another lucky pick up I guess.
I ran 3 of the el-cheapo Moultries for 6 years before they started failing.
I do have a $120 Bushnell that is a great cam. It has lived in the woods for 2 years with no issues and great battery life.

Top Bottom