Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Women advice

meyeri

PMA Member
So my girlfriend and I were talking the other day and she asked how many more deer heads I was going to get mounted ; I have 3 currently. Of course I said I'd like to have at least 12 someday and she seemed to think I was joking. With a dead serious look on her face she said 2-3 sounded like a good number to her; and even this number is only acceptable in the basement! lol

Now I'm not a complete idiot, so not wanting to agree to something that will bite me later I stalled by saying we'll cross that bridge when it gets here, which it inevitably will....

So my question for you married guys is how do you go about this situation? Oh and finding a new girlfriend is not an acceptable response.
How many do your wives/significant others allow in the house? I have a feeling my deer mounts might end up in the garage!

A little give and take makes the difference here. I've got 5 shoulder mounts, numerous euro and plaque mounts, turkey fans, piebald pheasant, etc. Most I've accumulated over 30+ years of trying, but a couple now by my son and daughter as well. My wife has given us one relatively small room to be the man cave, and it's pretty much full. A few items have spilled over onto the nearby back porch, but I don't ask to put them anywhere else. I consider myself lucky, and to be honest, I really wouldn't want them all over the house either.

We were at a funeral yesterday and the pastor used Proverbs 31 as the text for his message. 31: 10-12. "Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is more precious than rubies. Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." :D

NWBuck

I have 12 mounts and there will be more if they meet my standards. Being a taxidermist for 23 years helps

So my question for you married guys is how do you go about this situation?

Mine was simple, gave all my mounts to my friend who runs an archery shop. Get to see them all the time and we are both happy.

She never grew up hunting and mounts sort of freak her out. Slowly, but surely wildlife parts are showing up in the house...maybe one day she will even eat a deer steak!! :D

The angle you should be working is to plant the seeds for a heated, finished shop. All you tools, projects, and belongings can live there including your mounts.

Once that GF becomes your wife she will appreciate you not hanging around all the time and you'll both be happy you've got the shop.

You're welcome.

I have 16 mounts, the more artistic ones are right in the living room and the rest in my shop. There was no talk or compromise, she knows what those trophies mean to me and it is "our" house. If she has important things to her she wants displayed fine by me

I also had to deal with this when my now wife was my girlfriend. "our" basement is where most of the sheds, turkey fans, tanned pelts, euro mounts and a few shoulder mounts. We have agreed to have 4 mounts upstairs at any given time. And I display a few bigger sheds infront of our wood stove during the summer. I really like seeing the mounts but i also wouldnt want 8-10 hanging in my living room. Its all a compromise with these crazy ladies.

Im currently building the base for my pedistal mount that should be coming back here shortly so we have been going back and forth about where it is going to end up at in the house....

A little give and take makes the difference here. I've got 5 shoulder mounts, numerous euro and plaque mounts, turkey fans, piebald pheasant, etc. Most I've accumulated over 30+ years of trying, but a couple now by my son and daughter as well. My wife has given us one relatively small room to be the man cave, and it's pretty much full. A few items have spilled over onto the nearby back porch, but I don't ask to put them anywhere else. I consider myself lucky, and to be honest, I really wouldn't want them all over the house either.

We were at a funeral yesterday and the pastor used Proverbs 31 as the text for his message. 31: 10-12. "Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is more precious than rubies. Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." :D

NWBuck

I like the bible verse NWBuck. Glad to hear I'm not the only one on here who will be making a compromise!

Do you know what she doesn't like about them in particular? If you try a taxidermy supply such as McKenzie, you will find a ton of wall habitat items that even a novice can assemble to create a natural scene. Some of them are so easy all you have to do is screw them to the back of your mount and hang it back up. The reason I mention this is that I'm allowed two on the main floor of our house and the rest go to the basement. My wife doesn't care for them at all, but was very pleased when I added the wall habitat. I've gotten several other positive comments from other people as well that don't care for "dead animals" in the house. Just a suggestion to try.

Honestly this is a major red flag IMO. To me it says she isn't supportive of your life passion.(assuming hunting is). This is a dead serious conversation you need to have with her before you pop that question. If she has ever made comments about you hunting too much, she doesn't understand it, she won't eat or cook the meat or she hasn't tried hunting, then I can guarantee you are in for a lifetime of disappointment when it comes to doing what makes you happy.

Just a note, I actually killed my 2nd biggest deer to date when my buddies girlfriend kept him out of the woods on Dec 10th 2011 because she said he hunted too much that year. I went in and hunted the stand and stuck squirly who we had hunted for 3 years. Believe me I've never let him forget that and yes he did get rid of her!

You won't be hunting much after you're married at this rate, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Mine are in the basement, but am running out of space. So not sure what's next. I'm 26, and fully intend on atleast 1 a year for the rest of my life ;).

If ya can't find a women who can get over that, I'd get over her.

I am currently spending $40-50K on a house addition as a compromise (just kidding)!!!

Mine are in the basement (four shoulders plus a euro). Basement worked best for me since my wife seems to always be chilled and she doesn't occupy that area very much anyway. The upgrades on our main floor should keep her happy for at least 10 yrs!! ;)

My wife has given us one relatively small room to be the man cave
This is a great idea...give her a small room, probably in the basement, that she can put her crafts, nik naks and girlie things and you get the rest of the house as your man cave. Really, that is what she is asking of you. Hmm... give and take and compromise?

I've got a 27x32 living room with an 18ft ceiling and so far there are 7 shoulder mounts and 2 sitting on the floor waiting to be mounted. She wants more! I made it very clear to her that the 'Great Room' wall space is for hunting stuff! She has the rest of the house to do whatever she wants with.

Lot's of varying, but good, responses here. I am of the opinion that if you chose to be married, don't marry the one that you can just live with, but marry the the one you can't live without. If that is your current girlfriend then don't sweat the small stuff. Marrying the wrong person just because they will let you hang mounts in the house will be MUCH worse than marrying the right person and compromising on the decor.
With that said. You need to make sure she is not a girl who truly doesn't care about your passions. If she has absolutely no compromise in her then be careful.

I can't really answer your main question though as I am fortunate that my wife understands my love for whitetails and doesn't complain (too much) when I have sheds sitting around the house. I have had a shoulder mount in the living room but currently have everything other than sheds in our basement. She likes to follow along with the different history(s) of certain deer through my trail camera pictures. If I were to ever capitalize on one of those deer I don't think she would have an issue putting it in the living room. Otherwise most of the stuff will stay in the basement I think.

First, my wife knows how much hunting means to me and even more than that...how much my sheds mean to me. When we bought our house, I told her "you can do with what you want to every single room in the house but the basement living area "man cave" will be decorated by yours truly. She didn't have a problem with that :)

Lot's of varying, but good, responses here. I am of the opinion that if you chose to be married, don't marry the one that you can just live with, but marry the the one you can't live without. If that is your current girlfriend then don't sweat the small stuff. Marrying the wrong person just because they will let you hang mounts in the house will be MUCH worse than marrying the right person and compromising on the decor.
With that said. You need to make sure she is not a girl who truly doesn't care about your passions. If she has absolutely no compromise in her then be careful.

I can't really answer your main question though as I am fortunate that my wife understands my love for whitetails and doesn't complain (too much) when I have sheds sitting around the house. I have had a shoulder mount in the living room but currently have everything other than sheds in our basement. She likes to follow along with the different history(s) of certain deer through my trail camera pictures. If I were to ever capitalize on one of those deer I don't think she would have an issue putting it in the living room. Otherwise most of the stuff will stay in the basement I think.

Very wells said

Top Bottom