Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Women advice

But as Hoosier said, if you aren't married yet, I would be talking about your passions and hers. The goal isn't to eliminate those or keep each other from doing those, but for them to have their rightful place in life. Like others said, if she's complaining about hunting, she wants your time and to know she's more important.

Great topic!

Like others said, if she's complaining about hunting, she wants your time and to know she's more important.

Great topic!

When they feel that way, the hunting opportunities abound!! :)

Be home when you are home with them and not always thinking/talking deer. Show an interest in them and they will show an interest in you...works both ways.

My wife never thought she would marry a hunter and did not agree with hunting...then she met me and changed her mind.

A lot of advice on here guys, thanks! Our faith in Christ is definitely very important to both of us, so at least we have those priorities straight. More than anything I was just curious as to how much compromise most guys make and if I was bending when I should have been digging my heels in and or running for the hills! I'm in no hurry to take the plunge though, so no need to drop the "M" bomb so much! ;)

She doesn't like hunting, but she understands why it's necessary so she's fine with me doing it as long as she doesn't have to come along. (Which is fine with me, because I like hunting solo anyway.) She also has no problem cooking or eating venison so we're good there. It's surprising she's even with a hunter considering she was always the girl rescuing hurt animals, so she has come a long way in regards to that. She ended up coming back saying she could probably accommodate 6, so at least we're making progress.

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking little red flags that could turn into big red flags down the road and IW hunters seem to have some pretty good wisdom. My old man always said "happy wife, happy life!"

Oh how I know a similar situation......

I've had a couple deer heads on the apartment walls since we were dating so she knew full well before we got married that they would hang somewhere. It was brought up many a time, "how many deer heads do you intend to have?" My typical response was, "all of them". My wife and I bought a house a few months before we were married and I left my apartment and moved in for the 3 months before the wedding to do some improvements while she stayed at her own apartment. We looked at many houses before we bought this one, and this was the only one that we really liked, but it does not have a finished basement, or a man cave. But, it's on a small golf course out in the country and we really liked it. It was made full and clear at the beginning that the deer heads were going to go somewhere, and they ended up in the living room. It was a real struggle for her in the first few months, as it is for most women I would imagine at the start. Learning to compromise and live with a guy isn't always easy for them. That tension focused on the 2 focal points of the living room, and there were many discussions about them.

I echo the above comments about God in the relationship. We have what some would call a mixed marriage, as she was brought up Catholic, and I was brought up as Lutheran, so we spent quite a bit of time before, and after the wedding working that out as it is a big part of who we are and what we believe. Turns out they are way more alike than different. We both became closer with God and more familiar with our faith because of the discussions with each other and the church, and it was a great learning experience for the both of us. I wouldn't trade her for anything. We have our first child on the way, due around thanksgiving and we couldn't be more excited.

I've added 3 more deer heads since we got married and the living room is a little bit full. :D I just tell her that I'm more successful because she's my good luck charm. We have plans to put on a couple big additions to the house, and finish a portion the 40x72 shed we have out there. But until we build a suitable place for them, that's where they sit, and she's okay with them now. If I had to take them down and put them somewhere else to save my marriage, I would do it in a heartbeat, but she's okay with it, and I couldn't be happier. Now I just need to get going on an addition or finishing a portion of the shed, but I guess the baby room is probably more important. :rolleyes:

images

JUST KIDDING..... As many things can, the correct answer can be found with a combination of math and science.

How much compromise is too much you ask?!?!? Well you are going to have to refer to the hot to crazy scale.

HIMYM___Hot_Crazy_Scale_by_JeremyX103.jpg

Wife likes mine. She wants one of her own to put up next to em.

I do want to have a place myself, to keep them all together and all the sheds, and other crap I've accumulated over the years all in one room. As of now, everything is scattered all over the house.

It all comes down to finding the right one. My wife still has the biggest deer on our wall and chose last spring to get a new bow and all accessories over an anniversary band for her wedding ring.
She has never once said that I hunt too much or put too much time into trail cams, summer prep or shed hunting.
We discuss where a mount will go before its even dropped off at the taxidermist.
Find the right girl and you shouldn't have too much of an argument about a deer mount. There will be plenty of other things to argue about other than a shoulder mount.

My rule of thumb use to be if it was bigger then my biggest. That kind of went out the window after 07 so now it's anything bigger then 150! I have 6 and all in the living room but I have one of the best lady's in the world!

My rule of thumb use to be if it was bigger then my biggest. That kind of went out the window after 07 so now it's anything bigger then 150! I have 6 and all in the living room but I have one of the best lady's in the world!

Yeah, your wife is pretty awesome. My rule is 150+ for shoulder mounts unless it's an 8 pt then 140+.. Anything over 200 is a full body and anything under 150 is European mount

I have probably 500 sheds, a turkey mount, lots of euro mounts, fan mounts, ect...my parents keep taking them to put around the house! Haha I'm lucky! My friend can't even have deer sheds in the house they have to stay outside. Hopefully I'll find a Girl that likes hunting, but we all know how rare that is.

I have probably 500 sheds, a turkey mount, lots of euro mounts, fan mounts, ect...my parents keep taking them to put around the house! Haha I'm lucky! My friend can't even have deer sheds in the house they have to stay outside. Hopefully I'll find a Girl that likes hunting, but we all know how rare that is.

It's rare? Half the girls in my class hunted lol

Yeah, your wife is pretty awesome. My rule is 150+ for shoulder mounts unless it's an 8 pt then 140+.. Anything over 200 is a full body and anything under 150 is European mount

Score can be very deceiving. Though, I do respect your stance on that. I have come acrossed some lower scoring deer than appeared better than Deer that scored 10+ more. Not mention those really, really, really, mature deer that have some really freaky, but less than desirable ( according to some) headgear. The Age alone makes that deer a trophy, regardless. Personally, If the Deer gets me excited on stand, it's going up on the wall.

The quality of taxidermy can make a world of difference to whether she'll want to display in a certain room/s or not. IF the work is really high quality, and appears aesthetically pleasing than she more than likely will want to display it where others can marvel at it, especially if it appears as though it almost coming out of the wall. People Generally like to be associated with having nice things or most sought after items. Plus, Deer mounts generally can go with most of the decorating themes ( my opinion anyways).

If She does happen to let you hang more mounts, where you may, just make sure you give her dominion in decorating the rest of the house as she views fit. Personally, I would care less how the rest of the house would be decorated as long as the mounts are displayed.

Sorry I can't help my gf thinks the mounts are awesome and wants the house to be full of them. She's 100% supportive of my lifestyle and is now going to start hunting soon

Operative word is girlfriend. Go ahead and marry her and in a few years tell us how awesome she thinks the mounts are and how many more she wishes were on the wall. LOL!

Personally, I don't really like mounts all over the house. I like to have a room where they all are that I can go to, relax and take a trip down memory lane. My house has 4 different levels on it. The deepest basement we have is all mine to do what I want with. The wife gets the rest of the house. It is not completely finished yet but is a project that will happen sometime here. Right now I have 5 heads up and 3 racks. I also will have my full body mount when it is finished. A lot of room for more and the wife doesn't care what I do down there.

I also have an unfinished 24x42 garage behind the house that I can do whatever I want with. Some day it will be an awesome shop. Just takes time and money. We have a 2.5 car attached garage as well that most our stuff is in and all my hunting stuff is in the man garage. Also have a 12 x 16 shed that holds a lot of stuff.

You just need to talk it out with the gf. It is really not fair for her to have the whole house and not really fair for you to have the whole house either.

Liv, can I bring some stuff over to store in the shed? Haha just kidding. I'm Klee's buddy from AR. Got a new phone and lost your number.

Liv, can I bring some stuff over to store in the shed? Haha just kidding. I'm Klee's buddy from AR. Got a new phone and lost your number.

Dang man, I have been texting you a lot trying to figure out where you went. I told the wife i must have P*$$ed you off. I will pm you.

Operative word is girlfriend. Go ahead and marry her and in a few years tell us how awesome she thinks the mounts are and how many more she wishes were on the wall. LOL!
I honestly can say it probably won't change a thing once we get married. We have talked it over many times. The only thing she said is she doesn't want them all on one wall but to be spread out.

She even let me wear camo to prom.
540464_432104636818782_1351528097_n.jpg
She realizes it is my lifestyle and she supports it. She goes to the treestand and blinds with me at 4:30 in the morning just to enjoy my passion with me. She even lets me hunt on our "anniversary", Oct 1st, before I go and see her.

Last edited:
JUST KIDDING..... As many things can, the correct answer can be found with a combination of math and science.

How much compromise is too much you ask?!?!? Well you are going to have to refer to the hot to crazy scale.

HIMYM___Hot_Crazy_Scale_by_JeremyX103.jpg

hahahah Nice!

Top Bottom