Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Would this scare you?

I had this happen to me my very first year i went hunting, shot a nice 8 point me and my dad walked right up to it took pics and stuff for about 5 -7 minutes then we decided to go get my uncle and everyone back at the house and when we came back bout 10 minutes later and it was gone!!!! Lol i cried

No, that wouldn't scare me, lol. I'd imediately notice that the deer wasn't dead and wouldn't have approached it like that.

Eye's wide open on him and mouth wide open. Back legs stretched out, something would throw a flag at me and I would either, put another arrow in him or put another sabot in him.

Not able to get the video to come up, but with others' comments I can imagine. My mom put a doe down a long time ago during a shotgun hunt and it was down for a while. When my dad got to her they started walking over to it and it jumped up and ran. My grandpa also shot (he thinks) a buck a few years ago during shotgun season. About a 60-70 yard shot. Dropped in his tracks and laid there for 15 minutes. Grandpa then headed back to the truck, walking away from the buck. After about 30 yards, he turned back to look and the buck was gone. No blood, no hair, no snow and in a hay field, so no tracks.

I was following a truck in town that had a tagged buck in it. About a block into me following it the deer picks his head up, jumps out of the truck, and is running down main street of town. I watched this disgruntled deer shove his rack through one of the businesses windows in town and then take off in a dash..... Never ever heard what came of this deer.

I'm just paranoid enough that I'm never comfortable with that deer being dead until the guts are 15 feet away from the body. Anyone who has been around me while walking up to a deer can attest to that... that and I dry heave 85% of the time while gutting.

I had a deer get up and spin around on me twice..thats why I always poke them in the rear first...
another story.. My dad shot 2 bucks with one shot awhile back..threw them in the truck, hauled them for 6 miles.. Pulled the first one out of the truck, as soon as it hit the ground, it got up and took off right between the shotgun group. We never did get him

One of the guys who hunts my brother-in-law's lease in South Texas had something like that happen a few years ago. He shot a big double-drop 12 (rare in those parts) and left his rifle in the blind as he walked up to it, even after my BIL said "you should grab your rifle". As the guy approached it, the buck got up and bolted across the fence to the neighboring ranch and they never recovered it.

Several years ago as we were driving back to our trucks after a drive, a buck jumped up out of a ditch in the field we're in. We shot the deer and drug it over to the truck to load. I was in the back to help load and grabbed the antlers while the guys started to lift the deer. The deer stood up as I was pulling on it and jumped in the back of the truck and pushed me against the back window of the truck before he finally fell over. He still had some pretty good strength as I had him by the antlers. We laughed later but at the time it didn't seem that funny and must have been his last gasp before dying.

My dad and I had it happen once on one of his bucks.. neck was limp and all. I picked his head up and shook it.. turned and gave my dad a high five... and the sob stood up like nothing happened and started walking off! So I had to finish him

This happened twice this past year to me. Once my friend gut shot a button buck by mistake. We let it lay for 3 hours then tracked it ab a half mile into a draw. When we were walking down towards a creek i figured it would b dead down there but it jumped up crashing through the brush. We backed out and thought about how what we were gonna do. It was dark so we couldnt really shoot a bow and we didnt have a gun. I fail to mention this was in coralville city limits on the urban deer hunt so a gun wasnt an option. The deer wasnt bleeding much and i hated to leave it all nite so we decided to go bk in w nothing but a knife. We found the buck laying in a trail staring at us so we blinded him w a maglight and approached slowly. He jumped up once and fell bk over so i ran up and shoved my 6 in serrated blade through his throat cutting his jugular and windpipe. Wow that was intense! After a short struggle he passed and I had my first whitetail knife kill!! Anyway so that was crazy. Then during second shotgun season i took a friend hunting for his first time and he was lucky enough to get a shot at a 9 pt. Hes never shot a deer, mayb never even a gun w a scope but i offered him my muzzy because the buck was too far for his shotty. Anyway he dropped the buck in its tracks. We waited 15 min then walked up to claim his trophy and the buck stood up on its front legs and was jumpin around. Luckily he had his 12 gauge in his hand so i had him shoot it 3 more times! It was dark or i would of made a video. Somehow there were only 2 holes in the buck. He must of missed a couple times during the excitement!! The first w the muzzy clipped its spine and took out the bk legs. This experience will teach you to let a deer have some time to expire or else you better be ready to take action and put him down quickly. I think if you make a bad shot and you know it, backing out and coming bk the nxt day is best. For us it was warm out and the deer was getting really close to someones bk yard, so we figured if nothing else we would run him bk away from the residential property to let him lay over nite. Amazingly tho he let me get close enough to show him his maker!

Last edited:
I'm just paranoid enough that I'm never comfortable with that deer being dead until the guts are 15 feet away from the body. Anyone who has been around me while walking up to a deer can attest to that... that and I dry heave 85% of the time while gutting.

And that isn't 85% of the deer he kills, that means if he guts a deer for 10 minutes he dry heaves for 8.5 minutes. Never seen you totally loose it though

flugge said:
jatorto...so he was hunting late muzzy but used a shotgun? Did i read that correct??

Sorry I wrote that wrong. This time change and having to b at work at 630 is not letting me think correctly

Then during second shotgun season i took a friend hunting for his first time and he was lucky enough to get a shot at a 9 pt.

i can see this happening as you walk up to it but why do so many people haul them around before gutting them?? we have never put a deer in a pickup before gutting.

Top Bottom