Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wounded Buck, I'm Nervous

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
Well, one year to the day, my wife shot a buck out of the same stand she shot her's out of last year..... in fact, it sounds like a big deer, bigger than mine.... or any I have shot.... :grin: but we won't know for sure unless we get to put our hands on him.....

I was at home babysitting the kids so she could get out and hunt!!

According to Kathryn, the shot was back, near center (front to back and top to bottom) and veyr slightly quartering to. the deer whirrled and ran, then slowed to a stiff walk and walked out of view. She got a complete pass through and the arrow was painted red, no guts....

I was watching the kids, so my buddy and her tracked it for 250-300 yards. it started out heavy out of both sides, but then slowed down. while it slowed down, you could still follow it at a walk.....

based on the story I got from Kathryn, I gotta believe she hit guts, somewhat... but it is hard to say. As they were walking back to the truck, which was kinda where the blood trail was heading, something in the corn got up and started running.... according to my buddy, it sounded heavy and labored..... If i were a bettin' man, id say it was that deer, but we have no way of knowing for sure....

we are not sure if that is the deer or not, but we are nervous... I am nervous.....

I know it is apart of bow hunting, but I do not want my wife to loose this deer, it sounds big.... and it would suck for her to loose a buck like this....

i would like some feedback if you dont mind... here is a pic of the arrow
picture.php

I'm just nervous and talking it out will hopefully boost my confidence....

Sounds like liver to me, especially if there isn't any gut on that arrow. They usually bleed a bunch at the beginning and can taper off to almost nothing.

I think this deer is dead, if given a few hours. Good luck.

I agree it probably is a dead deer but if you think it might be a gut shot give it at least 6 - 8 hours or more. If gut shot there probably won't be a great blood trail so go where she seen it last and try to find something there. If there is a corn field you will probably have to go row by row looking each way to see if you can see it. Or else get on the combine with the farmer and start picking. I shot one like this 3 years ago that took off like a streak but only went about 50 yards before slowing to a walk. I left him for the night and we found him about 150 yards from where I shot him, he had doubled back towards my stand. Good luck and let us know.

Check any water areas as well if you are having no luck. A gut shot will go septic and cause a fever on the deer, he may want water to cool off.

Gundog

I agree with above. Should find him but give him more time. I'd hate to bump him again, if that was him. The arrow looks good....I wish you the best in finding him! I have a good feeling :)

Man thats a slimey lookin thing and the arrow is messy too. Is this the buck you posted trail cam pics of today?

Sure sounds and looks like a soon to be leathal hit. It doesn't get dark till 1745 or so. Go back out when the Packers-Vikings game starts. That way you will have something to be happy about this evening.

The 'Bonker

Well....

thanks for the encouragement....

Unfortunately there was NO blood after the "last blood" from earlier today... not sure how to track a wounded deer with no sign. we fanned out and scoured the area, but we did not find the buck. I am going out in the morning to listen for yotys and in the afternoon watching for buzzards...

Kathryn is taking it well and talking about hunting next weekend, so Id say no long term damage done. Which makes me feel kinda better....

No worse feeling in hunting, and I hurt for her. BUT, she is now apart of the "brotherhood" as she has not lost a deer in 7 years. (five bow kills)

I will let you know if we find him in the next couple days... but im guessing it will be long gone, hopefully he lived!!!!!

I will look for sure during March

sounds like a good excuse to take the kids to day care tom. have both u and the wife take off work, eat brunch and celebrate the afternoon sittin next to ur wife's trophy.

I think you need to get a dog out there.......I would bet that deer is probably dead.

That arrow has a lot of blood on it to not be fatal.

Good luck!!!

I hope very much that you find him!!!

Its illegal to track a deer with a dog in Iowa.I don't know why that is but it is.I know those little rat terriers in Africa can find a dead animal in 2 minutes when profession trackers can't.It seems that it would be the most humane thing to do.

I agree with a liver hit also. I hit two large buck in the liver & retreived both but it took them 4 or 5 hours to take their final nap. If not pushed it should be within 250 yards. I watch one walk off to another draw a hundred yards away with his tail tucked, waited 4 hours, jumped him & he went down after another 60 yards. Good luck!

Is there standing corn near by? Reason I asked is that the 1st one I livered actually bedded down for 25 minutes within sight of my stand, got up & went 200 yards into a corn field, left only one small drop of blood, even after jumping 4 fences. Found him by methodically walking the corn field the next day. You'll get him.....

Top Bottom