Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Yellowstone

mudingbuck

PMA Member
Anyone that knows me knows that the wife and I have had a few issues trying to have kids. Long story short I told her if we get another negative result we can take a vacation anywhere in the world she wants. She picked Yellowstone. So I am looking for a good lodge to stay at. Any suggestions?

A great place to stay for an extended time is the Absaroka Lodge in Gardiner Montana. It's the north entrance into Yellowstone; right on the bank of the Yellowstone River. We've stayed there for a week at a time, and they have some rooms with kitchenettes for any cooking needs. This comes in handy if you want to eat breakfast early and be out the door to catch the elk or wolves at daylight. I second driving the Beartooth highway. One of the most scenic highways in North America! I believe my wife and I stayed at Red Lodge; then returned the same route back to Yellowstone.

We went a couple years ago and stayed at the Old Faithful, it is a really neat old building and like the others said yellowstone is a lot of driving and that way you are right there in the middle of it. If you are looking for something modern it is not for you

A great place to stay for an extended time is the Absaroka Lodge in Gardiner Montana. It's the north entrance into Yellowstone; right on the bank of the Yellowstone River. We've stayed there for a week at a time, and they have some rooms with kitchenettes for any cooking needs. This comes in handy if you want to eat breakfast early and be out the door to catch the elk or wolves at daylight...

We stayed at Absaroka Lodge in Gardiner during our family's Yellowstone/Tetons vacation during summer 2012. Highly recommended!

Absaroka is solid - have stayed there twice while chasing elk. Whether you stay there or not, make sure you go in the north entrance and visit the boiling river. Prlly less than 5 miles from entrance. Active volcano spewing hot water out right next to the Gardiner river. the most beautiful/therapeutic time I have ever spent!!

Cooke City Montana is a nice town it is on the northeast entrance minutes from Lamars Valley that is where all the wildlife is also right by Beartooth pass that is a must see. The lodges in the park are nice but they are real expensive if you can even get in they are prolly all booked for the year you might get a night but not 3 to 5 night in a row it is a great vacation been there twice I cant wait to go again

My wife and I spent our honey moon at the Sho Shone Lodge on the Eastern Entrance to Yellowstone. It was awesome, great scenery, 5 minutes from the park and the cabin we stayed in was awesome!

Cooke City Montana is a nice town it is on the northeast entrance minutes from Lamars Valley that is where all the wildlife is also right by Beartooth pass that is a must see. The lodges in the park are nice but they are real expensive if you can even get in they are prolly all booked for the year you might get a night but not 3 to 5 night in a row it is a great vacation been there twice I cant wait to go again

I have been researching Yellowstone for a future trip. A good friend whom he and his wife have made 1-2 trips per year for the past 7 or 8 years also suggests the area that Ishi suggested and also say the same about the lodging expenses in the park. They like spring the best because of the birthing season but also like fall. They say to avoid mid summer due to crazy large crowds.

My wife and I spent several days in the area a number of years ago, and yes, the Beartooth pass is a must. If you're looking for something just a little different for one night, at the peak of the pass is a small little place called the Top of the World Lodge. Back when we were there it was very primitive, no electricity nearby...I think everything ran off of generators or some form of alternative power. But it was a neat spot to spend a night, and the wildlife scenery first thing in the morning was second to none. There was a small restaurant nearby as well, and in late July we scraped frost off of the windshield of our car the next morning.

NWBuck

P.S. Get the brakes on your car checked over :D

in late July we scraped frost off of the windshield of our car the next morning.

P.S. Get the brakes on your car checked over :D

Had to get our brakes fixed in Sturgis, SD. :(

Also, snow can hang into June along the Beartooth, maybe call or do a google search to make sure the highway is open.

I took my dad last September, great trip. We stayed three different places outside the park, but we stayed at the Canyon Lodge cabins one night.
It was not cheap, but not anymore than nice places around the park. But you have to watch for an opening, great central location. I would stay there the whole time if open, they were built in the fifties so classic rustic 70's.

We have been to Yellowstone three times and I believe that everyone should see it at least once. I would suggest trying to stay around Cody or between there and the Parks east entrance. The scenery going in that way is tremoundous and it brings you right along Yellowstone Lake. Then you can go up to Canyon and take in the both the upper and lower falls of the Yellowstone River and Artist Point and all the other things around there. You should go up through the Lamar Valley in the early evening and make sure to take good binoculars and a spotting scope if you can get one and a camera. The last time we were there there were maybe 3 to 4,000 buffalo along the river and then they all decided to move back up into the hills on the other side of the road almost all at the same time. It was a buffalo jam with huge bulls walking along side of the car or right in front of us and it took a hour to go a couple of miles. The spotting scope is for locating the wolf pack in the hills there. When we were there last summer we were able to see 3 wolves, a black one, a silver one, and a white one that all ran down into the river bottom willows. There will be different groups of wolf watchers parked along the road and often there are Park Rangers watching and giving talks about the wolf repopulation in the Park.

There are so many things to see there with the guiser basins and Old Faithful the rivers and falls and elk and bufallo and moose and sheep and bears. There are hiking trails if you are so inclined, and if you are a fly fisherman take some gear along because you will just kick yourself if you don't. If you go upto Gardner, the north entrance, go to Parks Fly Shop and if you want you can book a guided fishing trip in the Park or a float trip on the Yellowstone River. If you trout fish there are so many rivers in this area it is hard to choose one. West Yellow is the western gate and is pretty much a tourist area with several big name fly shops, novelty shope and the Bear and Wolf Intitute (very much worth visting and watching the bears).

Back to Cody, I suggested this because there is soo much to do there. The Bill Cody musem is a must do if you have any interest in fire arms and history and Plains Indians. I think they have at least one of almost every gun ever made. I mean every thing from flint locks to Peace makers to Browning machine guns to M16s to Purdy shotguns and every thing in between. Lots of stuff on Wild Bill Cody and his life and Wild West Show. Many of the guns we saw in John Wayne movies over the years. Be prepared , it will take most of a whole day to go through every thing there. Then if you aren't too tired there is a Rodeo every night during the summer, and this is the real stuff.

On either the way out or going home you can make a small side trip to The little Big horn battle site and maybe to Mt Rushmore or Crazy horse monument. Man the more I talk about it the more I wish I were going back again, so I will stop now. Go and have a great time but again prepare your self, lodging where ever you stay will cost $250 to $350 a night unless you are adventuresome and would enjoy camping.
icon12.gif

Well I appreciate all your help! We have booked a week at the Shoshone Lodge and Guest Ranch! The wife really like this lodge and I liked how close it is to the park. We are heading there September 5th through the 14th. Should be a great relaxing time.We are still looking for things to do while we are out there! Beartooth pass sounds like a must along with Yellowstone lake and Yellowstone Canyon, Old Faithful and a couple days down in the Tetons!

Oh and yes I am in deed a very lucky man!

Thanks again guys!

Well I appreciate all your help! We have booked a week at the Shoshone Lodge and Guest Ranch! The wife really like this lodge and I liked how close it is to the park. We are heading there September 5th through the 14th. Should be a great relaxing time.We are still looking for things to do while we are out there! Beartooth pass sounds like a must along with Yellowstone lake and Yellowstone Canyon, Old Faithful and a couple days down in the Tetons!

Oh and yes I am in deed a very lucky man!

Thanks again guys!

You've got to spend a night or two in Jackson Hole if your visiting the Tetons.

Bowmakers post was dead on I couldnt have said it better. Two more things if you take Interstate 90 out and Interstate 80 back you can hit five Cabelas stores and when in Cody dine at the Irma restaurant the food there is second to none get the buffet you will like it! Man I wish I was going again this year. You will find plenty to do out there with out looking to hard Have Fun!!!!

You and the wife are gonna have a great time there that time of year. There is so much to see and do time goes by so fast. Enjoy and take lots of pics!

i can't believe i'm the first person to say this, but

you, sir, are a lucky man!

Fact!

My wife and I visited the Black Hills, Yellowstone and the Tetons back in 2008. Camped three nights in the hills, stayed overnight in a cheap motel in Cody, camped five nights in Yellowstone and then two nights in Jackson Hole. It got down to 30-32 degrees every night in Yellowstone but she was a trooper. She had never been west of Omaha so it was a real treat to see her reactions to all things West.

Since you already have your lodging taken care of and others have offered suggestions on things to do in Yellowstone, I'll suggest a couple neat things to see in the Tetons.

There is a fairly easy hike you can take into Cascade Canyon near the shores of Jenny Lake. You can take a short boat ride across the lake to the trail head that saves you a couple miles of walking. Most people just hike to up to Hidden Falls but if you go further up past Inspiration Point you enter a giant sheer-walled canyon. There is a beautiful stream flowing through the valley. From there, you can go as far as you want up the canyon. Absolutely beautiful scenery and we saw an awesome bull moose there. This hike is fairly steep, but short and well worth your while if you only have a few hours to work with.
picture.php

Second, I suggest visiting the old barns on Mormon Row in the Antelope Flats area of the park. We went at sunrise the one morning and this is what it looked like ...
picture.php

Enjoy your trip ... we can't wait to go back!

-Longspurs-

Top Bottom