Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

youth season questions

deadeye

First year to hopefully take the boy out. Reading the regs I must say I have a few questions. It is very clear what a youth can use during the youth season. Then it says the youth can use that unfilled tag during either muzzleloader and one of the shotgun seasons. I take that to mean you can hunt them all until the tag is filled. The way it is worded is strange IMO if that is what they mean. Next question is in what they can use. I take it to mean they can use a shotgun during youth a muzzleloader during early muzzleloader only and not a shotgun. They could use a shotgun during shotgun and then a muzzleloader during late muzzle. Is that how others understand it? He couldn't use a shotgun during early or late muzzle seasons. Thanks!

I believe that the youth tag is good for the youth season, then one of the gun seasons that you declare. Meaning that you couldn't keep hunting during every season but rather declare one as your season you choose to attempt to fill the youth tag. Muzzleloaders can be used in every gun season, but shotguns only in shotgun 1 or 2. I'm sorry if this is wrong but it is just how my CO explained it to me.

Our CO has told us that the youth tags can be used during youth, both muzzleloader seasons and 1 shotgun season. Not sure why it makes them only available for one of the shotgun seasons but that's the way it is. Doesn't matter which one you pick. So you could go youth, if tag isn't filled then go early muzzy, if still unfilled one of the shotgun seasons, and if still unfilled late season muzzy.
As for weapons, youth season they could use shotgun or muzzy or bow. During Early muzzy they can only use a muzzleloader, shotgun they could use a muzzy or shotgun, and late season they could use a muzzy, bow or crossbow

How would you declare the season you want? My understanding is that if they do not fill during youth they can then hunt, early mloader, following those rules, then hunt the shotgun seasons, but the part about choosing one of the seasons does need some clarification. Then they can hunt the late Mloader and use a bow, crossbow or muzzleloader. They just are not legal for the bow only season.

Last edited:
How would you declare the season you want? My understanding is that if they do not fill during youth they can then hunt, early mloader, following those rules, then hunt the shotgun seasons, but the part about choosing one of the seasons does need some clarification. Then they can hunt the late Mloader and use a bow, crossbow or muzzleloader. They just are not legal for the bow only season.

Some clarification on the shotgun seasons is definitely needed. Seems odd they would I only allow a youth to hunt one of them. If the youth decided to go first season and doesn't fill their tag, who would know the difference if they went 2nd? Apart from having been checked by a CO during the first season, nobody would have a clue.

I too will be taking my oldest out for the first time this youth season! I am absolutely stoked to get her on a deer! Everytime we go by the field where we will be hunting she says "that's the place where I'm going to shoot my first deer!"

I was told that you need to write on the tag which shotgun season the youth will be hunting.

The first year they allowed this was my last year of youth. But if I remember correctly from what I was told was that you can use it any of the listed seasons until it's filled. But if you purchase a 1st or 2nd season tag that's the only shotgun you can go. So basically if you don't purchase your child a shotgun tag they can go both seasons. So I cheated the system with that route, I went first and didn't fill it, then I bought a second season right after 1st season ended so I had could shoot 2 bucks if given the opportunity, or I had my youth to use during late muzzleloader.

From my understanding you can hunt youth, early muzz, dhotgun 1 OR 2, and late muzz. Its silly really cause how would they know if you went 1st gun and second. Also use the weapon that is in season.

Whether its wrong or not most go until they fill it.

Straight from the regs

"Unfilled Youth Tag
Youth hunters with a General deer license who do not take a deer during the youth deer hunting season may use the General deer license and unused tag during the early or late muzzleloader and one of the two shotgun seasons ONLY. The youth must follow all other rules specified for each season."

My interpretation of that, is that you have to choose one of the muzzleloader seasons and one of the shotgun seasons to hunt. My C.O. has told me that you can only hunt one of the seasons with an unfilled youth tag but he has been incorrect on multiple different occasions. So I guess my answer would be to contact your C.O. And ask him.

Yes good point. Does sound like 1 muzzle season and one shotgun season. I read it as gun of season only as well. I have talked to others that thought they could use what was legal for the youth tag which I don't think is correct.

Top Bottom