Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zach Open House/Lovstuen Buck

whew! I thought you guys were cheap but sharing the same booth?
shrug[1].gif

hawkeyefan,

Thanks for letting people know. Due to contractual obligations between the Lovstuens and North American Whitetail no photographs can be allowed. That is the reason for the 'airport security' so as hawkeye said please leave all electronic devices locked safely in your car. That includes all cameras and cell phones.

Muddy,

You were number 30 because we went through all 500 numbers and started over. I think the number by the end of the evening was over 1,000.

As usual I had a great time talking to whitetail enthusiasts. I got to see many old friends and meet many new ones.

I hate to do it but if we get too many people at a time Saturday or Sunday you may have to wait outside just to get in the gallery. Please dress for that possibility.

Hope to see you there.
Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

I'd have to agree with Muddy, I had envisioned something bigger than what it actually was. Maybe it was the difference in sides. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'd pass out or soil myself.

Sorry to have missed some of you whitetailers at Oldbucks open house and Glad to have seen some of you as well.

I was wondering if we could get a special flowered Iowawhitetail hat with bright yellow logo offered. I am sure we could sell at lease one.

I have to agree with muddy also, it was kind of like the movie you expect to much of because of all that you've heard. The 00 and 01 sheds seem some how larger, but what an incredible thing to see and I am think the story of the whole thing is going to be bigger than the deer itself. I was able to very briefly meet mom and dad Lovstuen and heard a story, from someone else, of Doug passing on the deer in 02 because of a damaged rack
bigshock.gif
. I can't wait to read all the tails surrounding the whole event. Hats off to the whole Lovstuen gain and I hope my sons and I get a chance to visit with them sometime in the future about the whole event.

Larry thanks for the great event and wonderful new print that I'll enjoy for many years to come. Also, thanks for encouraging Mrs. ironwood to take up arms or camera and join us in the trees. One last thing my youngest, fondly referred to as chicken legs by some on this site, has his bags packed and will be on your door step within the hour. Please to not over feed him.
busted.gif

ironwood,

Glad you could make it and that I had a chance to meet more of your family. I'm sure your wife would have a great time joining you and the kids and videoing your family outings. That is one of the places an enclosed blind can come in very handy.

Send chicken legs to the gallery instead. I'm sure we're going to have quite a crowd and will need the help there. Can't guarantee to not over feed though. We've got lots of BBQ pork.
grin.gif

Good hunting!
Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Made the trip yesterday with Scout.(Everyone at work thought we were crazy to drive across the State to see a deer!) If you live anywhere nearby & don't take advantage of this opportunity that is what I would describe as crazy. I too was expecting it to be bigger at first but the longer you studied the deer the more you appreciated how impreesive an animal it is. We were lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time in there as the crowd was considerably less then what it will be today & tomorrow, and if you go take the time to appreciate each tine on the rack. Listen to what they tell you about the deer and the 4 year adventure they had with him and you will not regret going. I look at it as a once in a lifetime opportunity and the icing on the cake is all the beautiful artwork there as well. Go Go Go. Maggs

Maggs and I drove over three hours each way to see this event. It was outstanding! Good thing no cameras were allowed because I would'nt want a photo of me with that bumbfounded slack jawed deer in the head lights look on my face. We were lucky enough to spend considerable time there. The art work alone is worth the trip. The opprotunity to view this buck and listen to the guestions and answers is a one shot deal. We actually thought about going back after we filled our bellies at Chili's but then everyone would know were deer dorks! So we headed out and topped off the day by spotting a HUGE 8 with a very white rack along the interstate pushin a doe. We bailed out with the bino's and watched him from 150 yards for some time. Not many 8's push 160 but this dude would be close.
GOOD DAY!
yay.gif
rockband.gif
yay.gif

yay.gif
What a great buck. Old Buck thanks for the hospitality and I really enjoyed talking to you.
I was shocked he said they didn't recover the buck til the next day.
I think that would of been one long night.
BOWDUDE

I can't tell you guys how much I enjoy talking to all the neat folks that have been showing up at the open house. The Lovstuens and crew are having a great time. I'm having a great time. The off duty Ankeny and Des Moines police are having a great time (they are largely whitetail fanatics in disguise as police). I don't know for sure what the weather is supposed to do but if you love deer and deer hunters and deer stories I don't think you want to miss this.

Here is a report on Saturday attendance if you want to plan. There was an opening hour rush. Then things were basically steady most of the day. The last hour or two there was always a number of enthusiasts there but little or no wait. I'm not sure if it will be the same Sunday but hopefully this will help you plan. If you can make it we'd love to see you.

Either way, best wishes and good hunting!
Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

i just got back from the open house . got to talk with larry a bit, enjoyed the chat and all his artwork. i was very impressed with the lovstuen buck.i got to speak with tony and his dad, nice folks. enjoyed listening to them. congrats larry on a great open house.
laugh.gif
i'm also a little poorer.
grin.gif

Thanks Larry for the nice open house, enjoyed the artwork....look forward to seeing the Monster on canvas. Talked to the Father and got most of the story about how it was taken.

He indicated they would be disassembling the mount later to have a replica mold made. Wouldn't mind having a duplicate of it hanging in my collection. Seem to recall serial numbered replicas of the Jordan, Breen, and others go for around 5G's. A small price to pay for one nature's greatest works of art.

quite the show, old buck. to say the artwork was awesome, is needless. and to say the buck was impressive, is a major understatement. much improved over his old sheds. can't believe the differences. thanks to larry, and the family for letting us get a sneak peak.

Thanks Old Buck for Coordinating your open house with the the First public display of the Lovstuen Buck. BTW, how do your pronouce that? Just wondering if I am saying it correctly. Anyways it is very impressive. I love all your paintings, you are one hell of an artist. I am going to a Whitetails Unlimited banquet in 2 weeks and hopefully they have some of your paintings there to bid on.

=========
"Aim small, Miss small"

There were a lot of questions being asked at the open house regarding the harvest of this massive buck. I was a little hesitant to ask questions because I figured the Lovstuen's weren't at liberty to discuss the harvest in a lot of detail until the article came out. I did hear that Tony was using a Knight muzzleloader. I also heard that they didn't recover the buck until the next day. I was just wondering if anyone knew what brand and grain sabot he was using? Just curious...
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Top Bottom