Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 IW Trapping Thread

Daver

PMA Member
I know several IW'ers will be slinging some steel here in the next week or so and I thought it would be handy to create a new thread for this year for those that want to ask trapping questions and/or post their trapping pics.

I am still on the fence about whether to set this weekend or wait until the following weekend. I think I might just set some high probability possum spots this weekend and let the good furs prime up some. Of course, if history is a guide, ALL of my sets are normally possum sets! :D

I was going to "prerun" my buckets yesterday but ran outta time/light/energy. I still plan on putting out the buckets with the 220s unset. I won't set them until Sunday. If my trail cams are any indication my fur take will be down this year. Not that I took that many sellable critters last year.

Unfortunately when I decided to defrost the fur freezer this summer I tossed out all of the great table scraps I'd been saving for bait. I think I'll try circus peanuts this year. I'm not sure I've ever tried them in the past but they are pretty close to marshmallows. I'll prolly dip them in old bacon grease and throw a few sardines in the bucket too. The critters will eat better than I do.

We plan on waiting until the 7th and then slow rolling into it. From what I have read the early coon might be tough to get sold this year.

Bonker, try some liquid smoke in your buckets, just a few drops seems to work well for coon.

Fur prices this year

So I've been working my tail off trying to get all my traps ready for this years trapping season, I trap a little bit of everything but I mainly go after coon and coyotes and I was just wondering what some of your predictions will be about this years fur prices

All fur will be low from what I've heard. Lots of guys will probably keep their fur back if it's feasible. I do it for fun and to lower the predator count. Any money I make is just icing on the cake.

So I've been working my tail off trying to get all my traps ready for this years trapping season, I trap a little bit of everything but I mainly go after coon and coyotes and I was just wondering what some of your predictions will be about this years fur prices

Coon and any other shipped fur probably wont bring crap. China got busted not paying import taxes last year or something like that and I'm sure U.S. conflicts with Russia don't help any either. I've been told that Coyote fur is used in North America for the most part so I would think we should still see decent prices for them.

I got a trail camera picture of a badger. I've been seeing holes over the last few years. I've never trapped before. How do I catch this critter?

Looking forward to seeing some posts. Il be out Saturday trapping some varmints off some hunting ground. Hopefully il pick up a bobcat this year. Il try and post some pics Sunday.

Another thing, first year running DPs, are color with these a issue? Was thinking I'd paint them white for a little eye appeal.

We painted some white last year.. didn't really notice a big difference in catch rate and you'll have to repaint them again after you catch one or two because they scratch all the paint off from trying to get out of it. It definitely doesn't hurt. A good moonlit night would really make them stick out.

I've painted some brown to hide where theft could be an issue. But where a non issue I prefer to put a white styrofoam cup over that for eye appeal and to keep bait dry and mice out.

I got a trail camera picture of a badger. I've been seeing holes over the last few years. I've never trapped before. How do I catch this critter?

I heard holding a hotdog in your hand and sticking your arm in the hole works pretty good.

I had a guy tell me to use a #2. Sound right? Now where do I place it and how do I bait him? There are some heavy trails that go under the fence line. I know there are a lot of coons around also. Maybe it's from them. I have daily pics of coyotes also. In the same spot. I'd like to trap a few of them.

I prefer the dirt hole set to all others for predators. With yotes you don't have to be on a defined trail to catch them. In fact you can save yourself the trouble of junk catches if you move your set away from "coon" trails. Try field edges or waterways on the down wind side of the predominant North West winds we will be getting on a regular basis. Have you ever driven by Mc Donalds or Burger King on an empty stomach and caught a whiff of that fryer smoke? Your belly gets to growling and without a second thought you whip in the drive through! :D That is what your call lure will do to a coyote. His sense of smell will lead him to your call lure, "I like a skunk base call lure", it is very "loud" and a natural draw for predators. When his nose leads him to your call lure he is now in range of the dirt hole set and he will catch the smell of bait in the hole. A #2 will work fine for coyote. I like my trap bedded about 9 inches back from the hole and slightly offset, usually to the right side. Make sure it is staked well and leave no human scent in the area. Give it a try and I guarantee you will find time during deer season to trap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom