Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 IW Trapping Thread

My old man has been running the trap line while I've been bow hunting and this morning he got his first coyote. It was caught in a snare. When he sent me the first pic of it, I thought it was a fox because it was so red. I've never seen one this color. Almost cinnamon like. Wonder what the buyer will give for this one? So far, we are at 11 coon, 1 coyote, 1 skunk, 1 stray cat, and probably 8-10 grinners.

1622811_10152828190264609_4515163185105222230_n.jpg
If you can talk to any local taxidermists or taxidermy.net you will do much better than a country fur buyer. Since he is so red it will be almost impossible for there to be enough of them to make garments of so the fur is less desirable. One I caught was red like that. Fur buyer told me 5 bucks. Taxidermist who also ran a locker gave me 40 and 4 ribeyes.

Another biggun. Moved numerous sets after a dry spell. Left this one in place and glad I did. Having a blast.

My fur buyer advised me to wait a week to start and now the bottom is going to drop out of the thermometer. My brother made some sets yesterday and had 7 coons waiting for him this morning. I've been glued to the stand all weekend.

I made about 10 sets today since I have a couple days off. Mostly dps for Cooney and possum but one specifically for a coyote we have been getting on trail cam often. Always fun to anticipate the next days catch.

We checked a snare today that had a coyote in it.. blood everywhere and he chewed through the damn snare cable and got away.. any suggestions for that? Ive heard to put a log or something there to give them something else to chew on.

The boys have been hard at it and are now at 6 coons.

This coon weighed 23.5lbs!

1040-coon_2.jpg

They got their first Coyote, a female, on Friday Nov. 7th!!

1040-yote_1.jpg

And their second Coyote, a male, in the same trap the next day!!

1040-yote_2.jpg

Awesome bowman. Tell the kiddos to keep at it. Nothing is a better attractant than a fresh catch circle with fresh coyote urine everywhere.

Tell them congrats for us, Wayne! I'm hoping to swap my fur for footholds so I can get after canines. Those pictures are SWEET!!

Those are some good looking yotes Wayne! I want to commend all of the parents who are passing on this dying tradition! These are memories they will never forget!

Took some advice from you guys on trapping water and nabbed this guy in the cattails. We were pretty pumped!!

I wanted to start slow so I've left my snares in the garage thus far. However, with the cold weather I think I'll get them out and after some dogs!! Several fox on trail cam - though I'd rather keep them around and get coyotes out!!

Should I leave out the DPs? I have 3 of the 6 under active den sites, the rest on trails. Change bait?? I'd imagine the soft cat food is frozen solid.

Last edited:
Should I leave out the DPs? I have 3 of the 6 under active den sites, the rest on trails. Change bait?? I'd imagine the soft cat food is frozen solid.

I set 10 traps Sunday and checked them Monday and Tuesday(today) and then pulled them today too. Most of the sets were DP's and when I pulled them today, several of them were sans bait...without the bait thief's paw in the cookie jar!! :( I think I should have been more careful to keep the moisture(snow) out of the canister, as I think the trap mechanism was frozen up. Harrumph! I had soft cat food in those traps, so if you are leaving them out this week, I would consider taking steps to avoid freeze up.

Oh well, I still nabbed a few critters and I will probably reset some traps over the Thanksgiving break. Here are a couple of pics...I only caught 2 coons, although they were both very nice ones, and 2 greasy possums...but I also managed to run one over with the truck the other night, so I will count that in the yearly total. Therefore, the total 2014 possum count = 3. :D

My first double of the year!! That is of course if a possum can be counted towards a double! :D

161-double.jpg

A nice boar...in my only "canine set"...another harrumph! He was a mean one, he was hitting the end of the chain towards me...until I stopped him once and for all that is.

161-mean_one.jpg

I will also echo the congratulations to all of the IW trappers that are having success this year, in particular the kids and the dads...good stuff!!

With the dog proofs I use dry cat food with a good call lure around the rim, topped off with a golf ball to keep the mice out. Seems to be working good for me. Also I spray a little fish oil around the set just to help me find the sets.

Well, the boys are pretty disappointed. This photo was taken as we headed to sell furs today.

1040-nov_16th_sell_day.jpg

After taking several hours to skin each coon last year, a decision was made to just freeze them this year so that they could get to homework earlier than 9pm (moms are happy).

I don't know if fur prices are just really low or if we got ripped off. Either way, the buyer would only take 6 of the 7 coons stating that the bottom right coon was too small. He only gave the boys $23 for 6 coons, 2 of which were over 23lbs. He gave them $20 a piece for the coyotes.

Has anyone else sold yet? Did we get ripped off or are the prices just that low? The buyer told us the smaller of their coons were only worth $1 and he said that he would be lucky to get $10 for the 23 pounders when he is done prepping them.

With prices that low for coons, there is no profit at all. Oh well, at least the boys are having fun and staying out of trouble!

Well, the boys are pretty disappointed. This photo was taken as we headed to sell furs today. After taking several hours to skin each coon last year, a decision was made to just freeze them this year so that they could get to homework earlier than 9pm (moms are happy). I don't know if fur prices are just really low or if we got ripped off. Either way, the buyer would only take 6 of the 7 coons stating that the bottom right coon was too small. He only gave the boys $23 for 6 coons, 2 of which were over 23lbs. He gave them $20 a piece for the coyotes. Has anyone else sold yet? Did we get ripped off or are the prices just that low? The buyer told us the smaller of their coons were only worth $1 and he said that he would be lucky to get $10 for the 23 pounders when he is done prepping them. With prices that low for coons, there is no profit at all. Oh well, at least the boys are having fun and staying out of trouble!

Sounds about right. A lot of buyers won't even mess with the small coons. I haven't sold but highest price I've heard of someone sellin a coon for this year was around 10 bucks. Who did you sell to?

Top Bottom