Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All around good gun

niteboy2

I'm putting this topic in the turkey forum because I would like to purchase this gun before turkey season. I'm currently looking to make a new gun purchase. My questions are; is there a good all around gun that is in the price range of $500 - $700. I'm mainly looking for a waterfowl/turkey gun. Somthing I can switch chokes out on and be reliable for both kinds of birds. Any feedback would be appreciated. Remember I'm poor!

A couple questions, are you looking for a pump, semi auto, O/U or Side by Side?

My advise for the best utilitarian all around shotgun always comes back to the Remington 870. They are, IMO the best for your money. You can get the super mag to chamber 3.5" shells and in many camo patterns. Lots of add ons and accesories are available. Can hunt anything from ducks to quail to turkeys to deer. Definatly best bang for your buck.

My two favorite shotguns are a Remington 870 or Mossberg 835. These guns come in many different styles, finishes, chambers, etc. Both are pumps too but very reliable. Couldn't tell you a price on either but I know you could find both new in your price range. For waterfowl and turkey I would get 12g 3" or 3 1/2" camo finish /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple questions, are you looking for a pump, semi auto, O/U or Side by Side?

My advise for the best utilitarian all around shotgun always comes back to the Remington 870. They are, IMO the best for your money. You can get the super mag to chamber 3.5" shells and in many camo patterns. Lots of add ons and accesories are available. Can hunt anything from ducks to quail to turkeys to deer. Definatly best bang for your buck. </div></div>

I agree...for an all purpose gun with good value, hard to be an 870. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I shot my first turkey with a youth model express 870. The 870's are great guns that are very reliable and can be used for so many different types of game that you can't go wrong. They also won't be too much of a dent in your pocketbook!

Bennelli Nova is a great gun for the price. You can get a camo 12ga that shoots 3 1/2 for $350. You can get a solid black for under $300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple questions, are you looking for a pump, semi auto, O/U or Side by Side?

My advise for the best utilitarian all around shotgun always comes back to the Remington 870. They are, IMO the best for your money. You can get the super mag to chamber 3.5" shells and in many camo patterns. Lots of add ons and accesories are available. Can hunt anything from ducks to quail to turkeys to deer. Definatly best bang for your buck. </div></div>

I guess I needed to specify. I am looking for a semi-auto. I do own aN 870 and do agree it is a great "all around shotgun". Right know that is what i use, but i'm looking to do a little upgrade and just use the 870 mainly for Illinois shotgun deer season.

I would personally go with the Franchi I12. This is a great gun for both turkey and waterfowl. If I was going for the most all around gun meaning deer, turkey, waterfowl, pheasants and doves I would go with Rem. 870. But just for waterfowl and turkey I would go with I12 in Max 4 pattern. I think it is around $650 or so and has many options for chokes and such.

870 is the best shotgun for all types of hunting IMO. especially for the $$$$

870 +3

What are the new 11-87's going for? I've had mine for 17 years, it's been a workhorse like my 870's. No problems at all.

OK, so now you've set some peramiters. I would say a Beretta 391 but that might be more than you want to spend. I have an 11-87 that i use for deer hunting and i love it. i'm going to take it out into the turkey woods this year. I've never had any problems with it. Great shooting, handling and solid gun IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Upgrade? Ok, Benelli Super Black Eagle II /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div>

Very sweet gun!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Another vote for the Benelli SB Eagle....I'm sure you could also pick up a good used one!

Having "game specific" weapons is a great excuse to buy more!!! I would buy 3 seperate guns, one for deer, one for turkey, and one for waterfowl. I really love my HK Ultra Mag for the duck blind but wouldn't take it slug hutning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having "game specific" weapons is a great excuse to buy more!!!</div></div>

This is a great point... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the new 11-87's going for? I've had mine for 17 years, it's been a workhorse like my 870's. No problems at all. </div></div>

I have been leaning towards the 11-87 W/ Black matte finish. Could this be modified into a descent turkey gun? I think it would work pretty well for waterfowl. I'm not really worried about a deer gun, i'll just keep using the 870 for that.

Top Bottom