Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another AZ Elk Journal

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
A couple of weeks ago, I posted on here that my credit card had been hit for a couple of elk tags here in Arizona. Based on the charges, I knew it was my daughter and another young friend that had been drawn. Today, I got the official notice as the results were posted online. I was able to confirm the dates of her and our friend's hunt and I can't wait to show her the results.

SYDNEY K WOOLDRIDGE
DEPARTMENT ID: *****5992
ADDRESS:
BIRTH DATE:
SPECIES RESULT HUNT NO. SEASON DATES OPEN AREAS PERMIT NO. REJECT DESCRIPTION
BUCK ANTELOPE Not Drawn
ANTLERLESS ELK Draw Successful 03079 09/26/2014 - 10/02/2014 UNIT 7 EAST PEAKS HUNT AREA 000038 :way:

A couple of buddies here suggested I start a journal on here for her as a way to document everything for her in her first year of big game hunting. So I hope you all don't mind, but that's what I'm doing. Although this is an antlerless elk hunt, I'm hoping it will be as exciting as the journal I kept 3 years ago and you all enjoy it, but I hope it ends better than mine did! I told her the other night that she'll probably fill an elk tag before I will. You should have seen the grin on her face!

Some initial thoughts as a father, which I'm sure is nothing new to any of you, but being this is her first year big game hunting (10 is the minimum age in AZ), this is my first time getting to have these thoughts! To get the results today is very surreal. Thursday will mark the 10th anniversary of the day my dad died and two weeks from this Friday (25 April) will be my daughter's 10th birthday. Yep, she was born just 15 days after my dad died. To say my life was completely upturned 10 years ago was an understatement, but I couldn't be more proud of how the last 10 years have been. I know dad has been watching over all of us.

To say I'm excited to take my daughter hunting is a complete understatement. This year has been 10 years in the making and I'll never forget when she was 2.5 and I told her I was going deer hunting in south Texas. She was so mad at me and screamed to go. I promised her that I'd take her when she turned 5 I'd take her to Texas. We had a blast that year. I won't rehash it, but you can read about it here if you want: http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32611

She's been on a few hunts with me since then, including a turkey hunt and couple of javelina hunts and she has quickly become my best and favorite hunting buddy! Now its all about her. Since getting my credit card hit and knowing what unit (based on price charged), I've been pouring over the map of the unit and getting my trail camera ready. We were going to hike up to a spot I know this past Saturday, but it was cold and snowy in town and that spot is 2,000 feet higher in elevation. I'm hoping we'll get out there this weekend to get it in one place for now and then move it around as we scout more areas. This unit is a subset of another unit and is predominantly wilderness. For those of you not familiar with federally designated wilderness areas, there are no mechanized equipment or motorized vehicles allowed. That means you hike in and hike out. If you get an animal down, you pack it out on your back. One thing I've learned hunting out here over the years is that there are a ton of lazy people who don't like straying from roads and don't like hunting where they can't drive to retrieve their game. To maximize my daughter's and friend's chances, I intend to spend as much time in the wilderness areas as possible to get away from the competition. Of course, I will have several friends' phone numbers on speed dial when it comes time to pack out an elk or two!

When I seem distracted to my wife and she asks what I'm thinking about "Elk hunting" is usually my response. When I need a break from my computer screen and ridiculous deadlines here at work, I take a look at her unit map to get familiar with the boundaries, roads and areas I know elk occur. Even before the elk hunt in September, though, she has her first turkey hunt in two weeks. We leave on 24 April for the North Rim of the Kaibab NF and she will be hunting for her first turkey (Merriams) opening day on her 10th birthday! Getting ready for that has been extremely exciting, too!

I told her the other day that as soon as turkey hunting and soccer are over, we start concentrating full tilt on elk hunting, including hiking to get in shape, working up loads for her rifle, spending time at the range shooting her rifle as well as a .22 to work on form, and scouting her unit every chance we get. She told me the other day that she wanted to start hiking with ankle weights in her pack so she can get used to having extra weight when it comes time to help me pack out her elk! GOTTA LOVE THAT DETERMINATION!! :D

Enough rambling for now. I need to get back to ridiculous deadlines and overburdened workloads! More later as my daughter puts her thoughts on paper and we start getting some trail cam pics in.

I will be in that unit the 2 to 3 weeks prior to your daughters hunt . I don't have a tag but 2 friends do. Early archery ends the day before rifle cow should be a great hunt congrats to your daughter. We don't always hunt the peaks but get above the 523 road on occasion. Keep us posted on moisture.

I finally had a chance to get out yesterday afternoon and hang my camera in my daughter's hunt unit. She had a slumber party birthday party Saturday night/Sunday morning and then was supposed to have a last-minute soccer game. Luckily the game was cancelled due to 40+ mph winds and a scheduling mix-up. The kids were wiped out so my mom kept an eye on them and my wife and I took off for a short hike to do some quick scouting and enjoy some peace and quiet! We didn't make it all the way up to where my friend's son shot his elk last year, but that was because I found a well used trail following the contours and leading from meadow to meadow just below the area where he shot his elk. We were about a half-mile into the wilderness area and in an old fire scar. Elk love old fire scars because of the plentiful food and there was plenty of elk sign in this area. Because I have three weekends in a row of turkey hunting beginning this weekend, it will be 4 weeks before I make it back up there to pull the card and see what is using that trail. There was tons of sign of just about everything as we here hiking up and back. We saw good elk sign, deer sign (including my dog finding a leg), plenty of turkey sign, and I'm pretty sure I saw a mountain lion scrape, but I didn't want my dogs getting too interested in that so I kept them moving rather than spend some time figuring out which way the cat was moving.

My wife and I spent quite a bit of time talking about a game plan for me and two kids up there hunting. The biggest thing is who will get the first shot. I freely admitted that I'm biased and would like to see our daughter get the first shot and get her elk right away. In my mind she's been working hard for the last two-three years and has really put the time in with her rifle and mind set. I love our friend's son dearly and he as clearly proven to me he is deserving of the hunt and opportunity, but he hasn't put in the time and I honestly don't know if this will be a long-term commitment for him. I guess time will tell and we'll never know if I don't get him an opportunity. Either way, my plan is to work hard to get them both on elk!

The views up there at 8,630' elevation are amazing. I forgot my regular camera, so I took a few shots with my phone. My wife has a couple of photos from her Ipad that I'll get from her when I get a chance.

View of Mt. Agassiz, the second highest peak in Arizona at 12,633'.

View of Kendrick Peak 10-15 miles to the west.

And a view from the trail cam. Game trail is dead center running parallel to the contour line.

It was also great for me as a husband and father to see my wife get so excited for a hunt. She may not be a hunter and may never be, but she is so supportive of what I do and what I'm introducing our kids to. In reality, she's helping me get them interested in hunting. And I know when its time to get elk out of the wilderness, she'll be the first one I call. As my wife said on the hike out: "The nice thing is when its time to pack an elk out, its all downhill to the truck!"

Last edited:
This has the potential to be one of the best journals yet! Good luck! Killing an elk will be such a small part of this journey I am sure!

My Daughter's Thoughts

My daughter's first turkey hunt this weekend was somewhat of a bust, but we still had a great time. She turned 10 this past Friday and was up and ready to go at 0300. We had 3-5 toms gobble on roost about a half-mile back up the road from where we parked and she was eager to hike back up there. Unfortunately, the birds shut up right after fly down and we never heard them or any others again. We were in a very remote area near the north rim of the Grand Canyon and the forecast was for 5-13” of snow starting Friday night through Sunday morning, so we packed up and made the 3.5 hour drive back to Flagstaff. I’m getting too old to take the risks I used to take and I certainly won’t take them with my kids with me. Too many people out west get stranded in snow storms because of bad choices and the outcome isn’t always good. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. We got about 5” of snow yesterday (26th) and most of it is melted today (27th) except for the higher country (above 7,500’ elevation). We got caught up on some much needed housework, etc. and my daughter had a chance to sit down and put some thoughts together. I truly love this kid and hold her so near to my heart. 10 years ago today, my world was so upended after losing my dad April 10, 2004 and gaining her April 25, 2004. To take her on her first big game hunt (a turkey hunt to boot) on her 10th birthday was an absolute blast! Below are her thoughts, edited only for proper punctuation. I tried to get her to expand on her thoughts a bit, but Percy Jackson was calling tonight! Hope you guys enjoy reading them as much as I did. I'm sure I'll get more out of her as we progress.

“When my dad said I got drawn for elk, I was really excited. I worked so hard practicing on my 7mm-08 and I guess it will be worth the time. The whole time I thought I was hunting a bull. Instead, my dad said it was a cow tag. I wasn’t as excited, but soon I noticed that I would get a beautiful bracelet, a nice warm blanket, and some tasty meat in the fridge.”

A friend of mine told me about the custom bracelet he had made for his daughter that included her first elk’s (a cow) ivories. I thought that was a great idea to commemorate a trophy and my wife thought so, too. We will be looking into that as well as having the hide made into a blanket for her. No trophies for the wall, but plenty of other options to make sure she honors her first trophy for the rest of her life.

I leave for my turkey hunt this Friday and then Durango, CO for a soccer tournament the following Friday (9 May). I’m hoping to get up to pull the trail cam card on that Friday before we leave for Durango. Thank again for indulging both me and my daughter as I document her hunt.

We got up to pull the memory card from the camera this morning, but things took a crazy turn. When we got back to my truck, Sydney was clutching her lower right abdomen and in pain. In my gut I knew it wasn't good. I dropped her and my wife off at the ER and got the dogs home. 3 hours later, she went in for an emergency appendectomy. The surgeon just left and said all went great and she's in recovery. She may even be able to play in her soccer tournament this next weekend. If you guys don't mind dropping a prayer, we'd all appreciate it greatly!

Pre-op. She was scared but strong.

From the hike up this morning. Enjoying the woods before the pain set in.

I'll post trail cam pics when things settle down a bit. Putting the cam on a trail was a good idea!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140503_161214.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140503_161214.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20140503_161250.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140503_161250.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Trail Cam Pics and an Update

Things have settled down and I appreciate those of you who have sent prayers for her recovery. She is home resting right now and, just like the doctor said, every day is a better day and she is progressing with leaps and bounds! She came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon, but not before watching a movie with her little brother.

We jumped a small herd of 5-6 mule deer on our way up, which was cool to see. That tells me I need to grab my bow and "scout" that area with my OTC archery deer tag the month before her hunt starts! She was excited to see some of the trail cam pics.

Muleys moving through:

A young bull starting to grow his head gear

Yearlings moving through the area

One of my favorite series. This shows a group of cows at the area 30 minutes before we got there. The adults are in the far right. That's a yearling in the center.

And this pic documents that we got there about 30 minutes after the elk. Not sure why kids have to ham it up for a trail cam! :)

As soon as soccer is over and she is back to 100%, we will be making more day hikes and, possibly, camping trips to areas around and within this unit to get more acquainted with it. My wife even mentioned getting a 2nd trail cam to hang somewhere else. We're leaving this one here for now to monitor this trail, but my wife did mention that she wants to hike further up that draw and see what the elk sign is farther up. Stay tuned!

Wow Brian, much has transpired since we last spoke! Tell Sydney that we are praying for a speedy recovery. Glad you weren't up high when it hit. I'll keep checking in for the updates.

That's is too bad to hear about Sydney's appendix. It is frustrating to know that something that small can hurt that bad, and is completely out of your control!!

I actually had something very similar happen when I was in high school my junior year. I was August and we had just started football for the season, with high hopes of starting on both sides on the varsity team, I was pumped to get started! The first week of two-a-days went by and by the end of the week I started to have an ache in my side, Saturday it got worse, and after church on Sunday morning my mom who was tired of hearing me complain :) said that if I was in as much pain as I said that we should go to the ER...

She was shocked and immediately panicked when I said that I thought that was a good idea. I hate the doctor, and I really didn't want to have to sit out of football.

LONG story short, my appendix has burst and I needed emergency surgery as well. I have had a hand full of surgeries in the past, and a lot of stitches in my day. BUT I still remember that ranking right up there with the worst pain I've been in.

I had too sit out of football for awhile, and it was really hard to watch the team play without me. BUT when I finally was able to play again, we won a few games in the state playoffs and it was all worth the wait!!

The best thing I can tell you is that you shouldn't rush the recovery, let it heal 100% so that when you get back on the field you can be at you absolute best!!!

Good things come to those who wait! It will all get better, and this will all be history in no time.

Not to mention, you will be in good shape by the time Elk season rolls around which is great news!! Now you don't ever have to worry about your appendix getting in the way again! :D

Great read man. Can't wait for the next update! Hope your daughter keeps her head up. Things like this happen in life to try and slow us down. It doesn't work, just makes us stronger! She will be back to 100% in no time!

Brian,

I love these threads. Always nice to see the Northern Arizona Country again even if it is just through pics and trailcams. Can't wait to see the big bulls start showing up on the camera and your continued sharing of pics.

Tell Sydney to keep her head up. She is probably bummed about being a bit less active now but she will be bounce back quick and be back to normal in no time. Can't wait to see how this unfolds for you and Sydney buddy!!

Kratz

Excellent thread. Tell your daughter all of us in our house are thinking of her and that before she knows it she will be full on game on.

Top Bottom