Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another AZ Elk Journal

Prayers for a speedy recovery!!

Glad you got her in right away. I was one of the idiots that dealt with that pain for a whole work week until the pain suddenly vanished, I got real sick, and was on my way out the door when I went in for surgery.

I am sure she is down on having to relax and sit on the sidelines for awhile but in the grand scheme, this is just a tiny blip on the radar. Great opportunity for life lessons in patience and camaraderie. Being a supportive teammate on the sidelines is just as valuable to the team as having a star player. Patience?? Well, all good thing are worth waiting for and this upcoming hunt with the old man will be special. Even in hard times, she is truly blessed.

I'm routing for all involved!

It has been a very crazy three weeks. First and foremost, I want to thank you all for the words of encouragement for Sydney. Three weeks ago today, we came home from the hospital and had to turn around and get ready for a soccer tournament in Durango, CO over Mother’s Day weekend. Although her surgeon said she could play, she still wasn’t up for it and we weren’t ready to let her back on the field. We had the rental house paid for so we decided to go and cheer on the team. After losing their first game, Syd took it pretty hard that she wasn’t out there helping her team. I had her read all of the encouraging posts and it made a huge difference. It definitely lifted her spirits and helped her realize that she’s not alone in her feelings. Lifting words from someone other than mom and dad really helped.

Last weekend she had her last tournament of the season and was more than ready to go. She didn’t start at goalie, but halfway through the first half her coaches put her in at outside midfielder. Once she figured out that she could run and play full-tilt without pain, she turned her game on. After that, she went in and played goalie the rest of the tournament. They lost a couple of heartbreakers on Saturday, but they came back strong on Sunday and Syd rocked a shutout at goalie. My favorite play was when she charged out to meet a girl on a breakaway and kicked the ball at the same time as her opponent. The opponent went flying and Syd cleared the ball to a teammate. To see a goalie with a clean tackle (especially my daughter) was awesome! I told her that she was one of the toughest kids I know and that no other girls in the tournament were two weeks out of surgery. Tony (Risto) sent me a text that weekend that summed it up nicely: “Just think of how bad her opponents would have it if she was up to 100% strength!”

Action shot

Post Tournament

I wish I’d gotten a pic of her with her mouthguard. Her dentist told her she had to wear one at goalie, so she had us order one that is black with white werewolf fangs/teeth. She flashed it at a couple of opponents and she said it freaked them out a bit! I love her attitude on the field!

I was supposed to take her turkey hunting last Thursday, but a wildfire started in Oak Creek Canyon, just south of here. Some idiot decided to have a campfire on a red flag day. SMH. The fire started on Tuesday, but blew up big on Wednesday and the plume had everyone in a panic. My wife didn’t like the idea of me and Syd being in a remote area (nowhere near the fire) with the fire moving north towards town and then having a pre-evacuation alert for two smaller communities between us and the fire. I assured my wife that crews would catch it well before it ever really threatened the communities and that they would catch it on one of two different roads as soon as it got out of the canyon. In the spirit of honoring my wife’s concerns, we canceled the hunt. In reality, Sydney was pretty nervous and anxious, especially after I told her I was working on getting an assignment for a suppression crew. She’s still pretty shaken up about last summer and doesn’t like the idea of me fighting wildfires this year. It turned out to be a good thing because I finally admitted out loud what I’ve known for some time, based on the reports. I had to tell Syd that my friend died last year because the crew, itself, made some bad decisions. They were as much at fault as anyone. I assured her that, while I had a great deal of respect for my friend, I wouldn’t run with a crew that put egos before safety. That and I’m just too old to run with that mentality. I promised her I’d always come home. She definitely relaxed and is better about the idea of me fighting wildfires again. I absolutely love that she looks out for my well being and that I can talk so openly and honestly with her!

This afternoon, I had a chance to get back up and swap out memory cards on her trail camera. It was great to see the “usual” deer herd in the area, albeit 200 yds away. I’m looking forward to archery deer hunting up there as a way to scout the area with my boots prior to her hunt. I was also pleasantly surprised to see more elk activity in the area. Because it’s a cow tag, I won’t bore you with a bunch of cow pictures, but I can’t not share some of the better ones. There were also two young bulls that are going to be fun to watch grow over the season. I’m getting excited for the season to get here!

Its hard to believe this picture was taken 20 minutes before she doubled over three weeks ago yesterday. Its amazing how fast the onset was.

Cow with yearling

I love it when they check out the camera

Healthy, mature cow

Young Bulls

A view of the Slide Fire from the hike back to the truck. On the horizon and up to the obvious cloud line, that's all smoke from burnout operations and the main fire.

I'm hoping to sit down at my reloading bench this week and put two sets of loads to try for her rifle so we can hopefully head out next weekend.

Last edited:
One of the important aspects of Syd’s hunt is her rifle. As you all know, it’s an important part of any hunt. In spring 2013, we bought her a Savage Axis Youth model chambered in 7mm-08. I spent about 3 years researching and talking to others about what caliber and rifle to get her that would be an all-around elk and deer rifle, but not beat her up. .243 came up with a lot of frequency, and I’ve seen them drop cow elk out to 200 yards, but I didn’t have as much confidence in its ability to take a big bull elk when that time comes. 7mm-08 came up just as regularly with having enough punch, but light enough recoil to knock down an elk. A friend of mine’s son used a Remington 700 youth model in 7mm-08 to take a big 5x5 bull at 400 yards. That’s hard to argue with. He was going to be selling that rifle, but it was heavier than Syd would have been able to handle at her age. I’ve always been a Remington guy, but he turned me on to Savage, talking about their out-of-the-box accuracy. A few more phone calls, including talking to Barnes Bullets directly about TSX and TTSX loads for elk, and we were at Cabela’s last spring getting that for her 9th birthday. We topped it with Leupold Dual Dove Tail rings and bases and a Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50. To help ease the recoil even more, we had a Vais muzzelbrake installed.

While we were waiting for the brake to be installed I took her out to the range to introduce her to recoil with my AR. My AR is an old-school A1-style, just like my dad carried in Vietnam (that’s what he wanted), so it was a little big on her, but we made it work. The first time she shot it (after shooting her .22 for a year), her eyes were HUGE. She shot it 4 times and said she had enough. I knew it was all psychological with the recoil buffer spring having that big metallic “clang” right up against her cheek, but I didn’t argue with her. When she finally got her Savage back, she was eager and willing. She shot the first 3 rounds and put them all right on or around the bullseye at 100 yards and said the recoil wasn’t bad at all. In fact, she claimed (still does) that my AR kicks way harder than her 7mm-08. I know better, but I don’t argue with her, especially if it keeps her behind her rifle. Over the course of last summer, breaking the barrel in, she typically put 16-17/20 shots inside a 2-inch circle and 19/20 shots inside a 4-inch circle. Hard to argue with that kind of shooting and who doesn’t have the occasional flier? She let me shoot her rifle a couple of times and I quickly picked up on the gunsmith’s words of the Savage Axis having a rough trigger (not an accu-trigger). After shooting my 2.75-lb factory Remington triggers, I felt like I was pulling an elephant back with her trigger (turns out it was at 5 lbs). She didn’t think it was a problem, but she had nothing to really compare it to. Last fall, thinking we were going deer/hog hunting in south Texas, I developed some hand loads with Barnes Tipped TSX 140-grain bullets and RL-15 powder. The 95% max load produced a 0.6” group and they opened up from there with 97% and 100% max, but I suspected the trigger was part of the problem. This past spring, we took my gunsmith’s advice and had a Timney trigger put in and set at 3 lbs. What a huge difference! The best part was that she noticed it, too! With the new trigger, it was time to retest the 97% and 100% max loads. A couple of weeks ago, I had a chance to reproduce those loads.

This past weekend was a busy, but productive weekend for preparing for the elk hunt. We got up Saturday morning, with the wind looking good, and headed out to the shooting range so I could test those two loads for Syd’s rifle. She grabbed her .22 to practice form while I was working with her rifle. It didn’t take long to figure out that the new trigger made a HUGE difference. With the factory trigger, the 97% max load produced a 3-shot group that was about 1.8 inches. It had two rounds touching and then threw the third round way off.

The 3-shot group with 97% max load of RL-15 produced with the new trigger was right at 0.58 inches. That’s hard to beat and Sydney was very excited that we had a solid hunting round developed for her. The 100% max load was still just over an inch, so it was quickly ruled out.

Syd still needs to shoot some more practice rounds to get used to her new trigger, but I have to say I’m very impressed with the overall accuracy and performance of this rifle. The only modification is the trigger. At some point, I may have the barrel floated better and the action bedded (all of my hunting rifles are bedded/floated), but its fine for her for now. At some point, I’d like to get rid of that plastic stock, but that will require a custom stock until someone develops an after-market stock for the youth model Savage Axis. Also, the more I shoot it, the more I like that 7mm-08, especially with the brake, although it’s not as fun to sit next to her when she’s shooting, getting the full force of that brake in your face!

Last Sunday we went and hiked around another area down the road from where my camera is, trying to decide if I want to move my camera to another area now that I know there are definitely elk moving in that area. The road dead ends at a trailhead for a popular hiking trail. That’s never a good place to scout, in my experience. Fun to hike, yes; productive scouting, not so much. I’ve hunted in areas that I thought were out of the way, only to have hikers pop up on the elk trail you are following. While I enjoyed the look on their faces when they saw me, it certainly didn’t do much to keep any elk in the area easy to find. We ended up turning around and going back to a side canyon/drainage that looked promising. It started out that way, but quickly narrowed to the point of being too narrow and thick, not to mention ending in a bowl below a big rim and steep sides all around. There was elk sign everywhere, but it would have been difficult to hunt.

Narrow Canyon Looking Down Canyon

Narrow Canyon Looking Up Canyon

We back-tracked to a game trail that we crossed and followed it up the hill to the west. Over the top of the ridge, it quickly opened up into a wide open area with fresh elk and deer sign everywhere and some older turkey sign. We followed it for a bit, finding a spot to put a camera, when I came across another bigger trail. It looked like an old hiking trail, but one that hasn’t seen human traffic in years (my favorite kind). There were fresh tracks in the dirt all over so we followed it up the slope. This area has tons of promise. It eventually opened up into a large grassy area with another drainage coming in from the NE on top of the ridge and a good aspen grove continuing uphill to the NW. We definitely liked this area. A buddy is going to loan me his camera for the season since he won’t be using it. We’re going to head out this weekend to put that camera along the main trail at the intersection with another trail that leads up to the west through the open trees. We’ll also stop and pull the card for my original camera so stay tuned for some more pics next week, hopefully.

Grassy Open Area

Aspen Grove to NW

I hope it’s a sign of things to come, but last night I woke up in the middle of dream where Syd had an elk down and we were getting it ready to pack out. I know we’re still 3 months out, but I truly hope this is a dream come true!

Loving this thread. Glad to hear about her speedy recovery and that she was able to rejoin her teammates. I hope you continue to keep this forum in the loop as it is exciting to follow.

I hadn't really intended to post another update so soon, but we went out last Saturday afternoon to hang a 2nd camera in the spot mentioned above, where two trails cross. There were plenty of fresh elk and deer tracks all over the main trail, which is a great sign! Syd had a sleepover last Friday night with her whole team at a teammate's house for the girl's 10th birthday. As expected, they went to bed late and got up early, so Syd fell fast asleep shortly after getting home so she didn't make this trip. After getting the camera hung, we hiked up to the first camera to swap the card out, with the idea of keeping them on the same 2-3 week schedule. These cameras are about three-quarters of a mile apart, so it will be good to monitor this part of the mountain for a bit.

Syd woke up shortly after we got home and wanted to see what pictures we got. For only being out there two weeks this time, there were tons of elk pics and the same group of mule deer. Its so dry out here, the elk are moving all over searching for water. There is plenty of forage, but water sources are limited right now. As we were flipping through the pics, there was a series of three that really caught our eyes and Sydney was adamant that I post them into her journal. Its her journal, so I couldn't say no, but, in reality, these are probably three of my favorite all-time trail cam pics I've ever gotten. I was going to share them anyway, but its great to hear her enthusiasm. This cow and her calf made several appearances, but these three pics were right in front of the camera. I told Syd that the cow was a good mature one and the calf would not have spots by the time her hunt rolled around but, no matter how much wildlife management science I used, she insisted that these two would get a pass no matter what. I told her its her hunt and her decision and that there were plenty of mature cows out there without calves. In reality, I'm not so sure I'd be able to pull the trigger either. Again, I just love how into her hunt and planning she's getting!

We spent part of Father's Day sitting at my reloading bench putting her hunting rounds together and talking about her hunt. Her excitement at being involved every step of the way is great and very infectious. We talked about how rewarding it is to harvest a game animal with a round that you put together yourself. I did the load testing at the shooting range to ensure consistency, but she helped clean, decap, resize, trim, measure, and tumble/polish all of her empty cases. I did the primer seating to make sure they were seated properly, but she has helped with everything else. When she was younger and helped me, I did all of the powder measuring, but I let her seat many of the bullets. This time around, she asked me if she could try some of the powder measuring. She's certainly shown me that she's mature enough, responsible enough, and detail-oriented enough to give it a try. Having a new digital scale helped in the decision. I'd hate for her to have to try and figure out a balance beam scale at 10 years old. I agreed, but told her I'd show her a couple of times and then stand over her to watch. She was very detail oriented and careful, probably more so than I am! Sure, she poured too much 3-4 times, but so have I and I did it twice with her watching. No big deal and an easy fix. Of the 20 loads we put together, she did at least half of them, maybe more, and she was very proud of her work. She tried to work my caliper with the Hornady comparator (measures off the ogive), but it was a little tricky to work, so I did most of the final measurements to ensure proper seating depth. After Sunday, I doubt I will be doing much reloading work on my own anymore! I can't wait to see the look on her face when she harvests and elk at 10 years old and does it with a round that she put together mostly on her own!

And because she just can't seem to let me have a stress-free life, we had to make a trip to the ER at 8:30 last night. She injured her finger at soccer camp last night and seemed to be in quite a bit of pain. By the time we got to the ER, I had her calmed down, but couldn't help a few amputation jokes along the way, especially since it was her trigger finger. When we got there, pretty much everyone on duty was into the World Cup and when they saw her walk in with her soccer cleats, etc. on, she got all kinds of special attention, especially because one of her nurses was her nurse for her appendectomy 6 weeks ago. I just sat back shaking my head feeling like just part of her entourage! When we finally met with the doctor, her first question was "Can I still play soccer tomorrow?" He had to read her x-rays first, but when he told her nothing was broken (I'd already seen them and knew), that it was just a good sprain from being hyperextended, and she could play, she was all smiles! I love her toughness and competitive spirit!

I also want to give a special shout-out to Tony (Risto) who was sending me texts of encouragement for her last night after I had to interrupt our elk-hunting discussion to let him know I was on my way to the ER. Sydney, when you eventually read this, you need to know that there are tons of people pulling for you out there! When Tony gets his elk tag down here, you'll probably be going with us for at least part of the hunt. We may need your youth to help us get an elk out of the woods!

Nice to see she is reloading her own! It will be very rewarding in the long run! Hope the trigger finger gets to feeling better so she can throw some more rounds down range

Its been a while since the last update and today has been a rough day, but I made a promise I would continue on. And in doing so, I’m hoping to set that example for Sydney. Life throws us big hurdles sometimes, but you have to be willing to keep standing tall and moving forward if you’re going to make it. I truly hope she learns this and reads this down the road to remind her. I posted the following in another post, but Syd wanted me to include it in her journal, too. We had to say goodbye to our 12 year old German shepherd this morning. She was a sweet and loveable dog, but fiercely protected what was hers. Our vet came to the house and we all gathered around Jake on her bed in our bedroom. It was peaceful and beautiful. Sydney handled it like a trooper and understands that we couldn’t let her suffer. The hardest part about it is that we are leaving tomorrow to fly my mom back to Iowa. That is the good news, though. My mom has been winning her fight with cancer and is ready to resume her life back in Newton! I’m hoping Syd learns what happens when you buckle down and fight, no matter the odds. Her grandpa (my dad) was a combat vet and he taught me to fight to the last bullet and then grab whatever you could to continue the fight, no matter how outnumbered you are. I truly hope Sydney learns that mentality.

We’ve spent some more time at the shooting range, getting her used to the new trigger in her rifle. Turns out she could truly feel the difference in that 5-lb factory trigger and her 3-lb Timney trigger. She definitely loves it and you can see an improvement in her groupings, albeit she is shooting factory ammo just to get used to the trigger. Her interest in learning to shoot more firearms is growing, too. She asked if we could take my Ruger Mk II last weekend and she loved it. I’m hoping I can get away with sharing and not have to buy her her own pistol anytime soon!

Syd with her 7mm-08

Shooting my Ruger

We went up to check the trail cams Sunday morning. We’ve finally been getting rain, so it was good to be up there when it was wet. The downfall is that the Peaks get the moisture/storm buildup first so we kind of had to hustle in, grab cards, and hustle out. The rain, itself, doesn’t bother me, but the lightning gets me a little jittery, especially with my whole family. Syd started working on building her strength because she still swears she’s going to help carry her own elk out of the woods. I loaded her pack up with her 3-liter water bladder, an MRE, and 5 lbs of ankle weights. We had to take one ankle weight out, but she did great hiking up to both cameras! On the way up to the second cam, there was a fresh pile of elk poop, so that’s a good sign that they are moving around that area. The camera (borrowed from a friend) had chew marks on it and the top latch was undone. I had hopes of seeing the culprit chewing, but the batteries were dead when I got the cam opened.

Elk poop

Chewed cam

I love that our whole family is part of the scouting process. Seeing my wife encourage Syd on this hunt only makes the hunt that much sweeter to me. Its also great because it helps get our son interested. He’s already asking me when he can join me on a hunt. I told him this year, he can join me on some spot/stalk hunting as we scout for Syd’s hunt. Having Sydney mentor and encourage her little brother also means a great deal to me as a dad.

Family Pic

When we got back to check the cards, we found out that cam #2 went dead after 2.5 days, likely because we had over 1,700 pics of a twig moving that I forgot to remove! I really felt stupid for not removing all possible obstructions and then having the camera out there for 3 weeks being dead most of it. D’oh! Like a trooper, though, my wife said “Let’s go back up there and remove branches so this doesn’t happen again.” We let the kids relax and watch TV while we hauled up there and got the problem solved (hopefully). The pics on the other camera were full of elk and deer. No bulls, but the spotted calf was there quite a bit. There were a couple of bucks, one of which may have some promise come OTC archery season in 6 weeks. One buck was a year old spike and, as bad as I want to fill my archery tag in Arizona, I don’t want it filled that bad. We also got a collared/tagged elk. I told Syd this cow was part of an AGFD project tracking movement, but it was ok to harvest it. Not happening, according to her. She doesn’t want to disrupt the research!

Buck With Potential

Young Buck

Collared Cow

Peek-A-Boo Cow

Mature Cows

Towards the end of looking at the camera pics, one pic, in particular made me and Sydney both jump a bit. This is the first time I’ve had a bear on a trail cam! It doesn’t look huge, but fairly average for Arizona. The look on Syd’s face was priceless. Something along the lines of “That is AWESOME!” I love watching her excitement grow!

Black Bear

Last edited:
I'm sorry for you loss. It is hard to lose a pet that is a family member. I look to forward to each update more than the next. You are setting a great example. Thank you for allowing us to follow along.

Aw man Brian, sorry to hear about your Shepherd, that is tough for sure. I hope your flight goes well and we'll see you in a day or two.

We had a great time in Iowa, getting my mom settled in and running some errands for her so she could continue to concentrate on building her strength. Sydney and her little brother were tremendous helpers as well as providing many much-needed laughs. I got a chance to go catch up with long-time friend, Wayne (Bowman) and his family. My big regret there is not getting the time for Sydney and Wayne’s daughter to spend some time together. I told Allison that I can’t think of too many better role models for my daughter. Her unwavering love of God, her family, and hunting is exactly what I want for Sydney. I guess getting those two together is a good reason to head back and hopefully soon. In talking with Wayne, he mentioned a mutual friend that said we could head out and fish his farm pond since he’s known me for a long time. Syd told me she wanted the fishing stuff and pics included in her journal and this is, after all, her journal, so this is a longer update. And she told me last night at bedtime that she wants to log on here and do a journal entry of her own, so stay tuned for that, too!

My wife and I bought our fishing licenses and some worms Friday night, borrowed some rods from a neighbor, and got the kids rounded up Saturday morning. The bluegill were more than eager to bite and Sydney and her little brother were having fun. Syd being Syd saw me trying to catch bass and decided that’s what she was going to do, too. I managed to hook into a big farm pond bass, but it threw the hook 10 feet from the bank. Syd saw the bend in the rod and immediately asked me if she could use the lure I was using (what dad hasn’t been there?). I gladly switched rods with her and stayed with her, offering tips and advice. We worked our way around to the other side of the pond and she was starting to get discouraged. We had to have “the talk” about fishing and remind her that its not always about catching something. Two casts later, I heard a shout and looked over to see her rod completely doubled over! I ran over to her to help where I could and was amazed at the bend in the rod. You could see the struggle in her face and she asked me to help her hold the rod. I told her she was doing great and didn’t need my help, but I reached in and loosened the drag a bit to avoid a broken line. She pulled up on the rod and I looked out to see a HUGE channel cat on her crankbait! Of course, my pliers were on the other side of the pond and my wife was running towards us with the camera. I hate lipping cats like a bass, but it was too big to grab behind the head, so I lipped it up out of the pond. Syd’s eyes were HUGE. We had to run over to the other side of the pond with me holding the cat “noodling style” to get the hook out. It managed to tear one of my fingers up pretty good, but we got a few pics. Having caught my share of cats growing up, I guessed the fish to be 5-6 lbs. It was definitely bigger than the 4-lb cat I caught on a Mepps minnow when I was half her age!

The next day, my cousins drove down from Huxley and we hit a couple of farm ponds they have access to. I managed to catch (and land this time) my first largemouth bass since leaving Iowa. Not long after that, I caught a slab of a crappie. To my surprise, Syd didn’t ask for my lure this time. Instead, she found a yellow plastic work she liked and went after it. In less than 10 minutes, she managed to catch two nice largemouth, a new species for her. She was in fishing heaven! Last summer, she landed a blue fish and a couple of speckled trout in Florida and now this. I don’t think she’ll ever go after stocked trout in lakes down here again. It was tough to get her away from the ponds!

This past weekend, we managed to head up to swap the cards on the trail cams. I was hoping that there weren’t any problems with the 2nd camera after the first fiasco, but my worries became real when we discovered the camera had dead batteries again! Of course, I forgot to grab the extra batteries before we left. I wasn’t happy at all, mainly mad at myself for poor planning and knowing I could have avoided this. We’d had a long weekend already and this didn’t help anything. My wife and kids decided to stay at the truck while I expeditiously hoofed it up to the other camera. On my way up, something caught my attention and I realized there was a herd of elk on the little ridge above me and to my left. They totally busted me, but at least my dogs didn’t notice. I managed to keep them close and occupied enough while the elk busted through. What I thought was a small herd of 10-12 turned into about 30 (+/-) elk. I saw one big spike (still a young bull) and one big bodied bull, but couldn’t see his antlers. After they crossed the trail in front of me, they started vocalizing. I wish Syd was with me to hear that, but I also understood how tired she was. It’s a sound I never get tired of hearing, though! Their smell was strong where they crossed the trail in front of me and I managed to keep the dogs from getting too interested, although they were pretty in tune with the smell. On my hike back, I came across a fresh rub. This could be the earliest I've personally seen bulls starting to shed their velvet, which explains why the spike bull I saw looked like he was hard horned. When I got back to the truck, I told my wife I wanted to head back to town to the closest store and get fresh batteries and head back up to the other camera. I didn’t want to lose 2 more weeks of scouting that particular area. Fortunately, she understood and we were off. Two stores later, I finally found batteries. I convinced Syd to hike back up to the camera with me, but suggested she leave her pack so we could move faster (its only about 1/3-mile up from the road). We got the batteries swapped out and reprogrammed the camera. On our way out, we talked about lessons to be learned from all of this, holding hands a good part of the way. I love that we can talk like that and still hold hands. I love that she understands things the way she does. After talking about lessons learned, she summed it up with the following:

1) Always make sure you have everything you need before going hiking;
2) Always make sure to remind dad to grab extra batteries;
3) Always start off with brand new batteries in your trail camera to avoid
this in the first place.

We also talked about how being tired comes into play in hunting and life as well as setting goals and sticking with a commitment. We discussed the fact that not every hunt will end on the first morning of the first day and if you want to fill a tag bad enough, you have to work for it, even if it means hiking to the next ridge over when you’re tired. We talked about pushing yourself even when its the last few minutes of the soccer game and you’re wiped out. I told her how proud of her I was for showing me her commitment to her hunt by hiking up with me even though she was tired. She told me she’ll do what she has to in order to fill her elk tag. Of course, I know her limits as well and won’t push her too hard! A stop at Baskin Robbins on the way home didn’t hurt anything either!

The first camera had lots of cow elk, a few deer, including what looks like a very pregnant doe (not uncommon out here), a buck that might get my attention if he grows a little more in the next month, and a decent (not a giant) bull walking through at night. The hunt starts two months from this Saturday and she’s getting EXCITED!

Pregnant Doe

Growing Buck

Cow and Calf

Small Bull

Rub Tree

I should also point out that, while we were sitting at the Phoenix airport on our way to Iowa, Sydney got drawn for deer and javelina tags! We don’t know what unit the deer tag is in yet since it was just my credit card that got hit, but I know the javelina tag is in 18B, where I do quite a bit of archery deer and javelina hunting. 18B was her first choice for deer, so that’s what we’re hoping for. I’d really like to have the hunts the same to make it easier, but this is her first year, so we’re all in! She’s excited to have a chance at an elk, a deer, and a javelina this fall! I couldn’t be happier and more proud of her!

Emotional Update: GREAT NEWS!

This is one of those journal entries filled with all kinds of emotions. Its also kind of long because its been a crazy-busy three weeks. I’ve spent the better part of the last two weekends (25-27 July and 3 August) helping teach two Hunter Ed classes, which means not much time to see my family. Sydney’s competitive club soccer program started a week ago and that means back to a life of chaos and my wife and I not seeing much of each other during the week for the next 10 months. On top of that, school started this past Wednesday (6 August) for both of our kids. I sat back Tuesday night and just stared admiringly at them. I can’t believe our son is now a 1st grader. At the same time, I look at Sydney and I have an even tougher time with her being a 5th grader. She is so stinking beautiful and smart. Along with that comes the (way too early) pre-teen attitude. She and I have been butting heads quite a bit lately, but yesterday we sat down to talk things out. She explained to me some of her anxieties about school, soccer, and life. She curled up in my lap and I assured her that I will always have room for her in my lap and that my love for her will never stop. I retold her the story of how she was born 15 days after my dad died and that she has always been very special to me for the last 10 years because she’s the biggest part of my healing process and that one of my biggest dreams was to take my little girl hunting. I told her how proud I am of the young woman she is becoming. We both ended up with tears in our eyes. She knows I don’t like crying, but I explained that this was a special “daddy privilege” that gets to happen with his little girl.

Friday morning, I dropped the kids off at school and went up to swap out cards on my two trail cameras. I was not at all pleased when I got to my buddy’s Covert to find it dead again. I put fresh batteries in it 3 weeks ago, figuring the previous two times it was dead was because of known questionable batteries. To add insult to injury, I managed to lose the sd card somewhere between my truck, the next cam (my own Scout Guard), and home. So I had no idea how many pics I got or what I got pics of before the camera died! :mad: I tore my truck apart, thinking it slipped down into a nook somewhere, but still couldn't find the card. I took off to Discount Tire to get my tires rotated and that’s when my day turned completely around. My mom called me to tell me how her appointment with her oncologist back in Iowa went. He told her that, according to the x-rays, there was a bunch of scar tissue, but, overall, her left lung looked really good and she was in remission! YES…REMISSION!!! After 10 long months, a very hard fight, and almost losing her, my mom appears to be cancer free!! Of course, we have to wait for the PET-Scan in 4 weeks to give the final say, but the oncologist was very confident in what he was reading! It didn't really sink in until later when I was sitting at a stop light and I (safely stopped) sent a text to a couple of my close friends who were rocks for me. That’s when I was overcome with emotion and couldn't quit crying. I went to the archery range to shoot my bow to get ready for the upcoming archery deer season (OTC tags) that begins August 22nd. My 50- and 60-yard shooting was pretty good, but it was also time to go get the kids from school. As soon as we were all loaded up in the truck, I got to tell them the news about their grandma. Sydney had tears rolling down her face and a smile from ear to ear. I’ll never forget the time we had to sit down and tell her that grandma was not going to win her fight. To be able to tell her this great news was a glorious day. We all took the time to praise God and thank Him for all that he’s done for our family!

This morning we woke up and got ready to head back up to my camera to look for the missing sd card and pull that camera from its spot to place it back where the other camera wasn’t working. I finally realized that I know elk are moving through that entire area where the camera has been since April and I don’t know how many pictures of the same cows we really need. Because of that, I won’t bore you with more cow elk pics. I really want to see what is in that other area. That area will also be my top priority for opening day/weekend of archery deer. I can see what’s moving in that area early, grab the card (hopefully not lose it), and check it out when I get back home.

We grabbed our 12-year old friend who has the hunt with Sydney and drove up the mountain. After we got my camera pulled off the tree, we decided to hike another quarter-mile or so up the hill to look at the area where my friend’s son got his elk last year. Turns out that was another day-changing decision. As me and the dogs (two German shepherds) were leading the way, a German shorthair pointer pops out of nowhere on us. The dog greetings went better than I expected (our female is iffy with other females sometimes), but it was very obvious that this dog had strayed from its owner, was very tired, very hungry, very thirsty, and very scared. Of course, it had no tags on its collar, either, and there was nothing to id an owner in its backpack. The nearest hiking trail I knew of was somewhere between .5-1 mile above us. Hiking straight uphill to try and find the owner didn’t excite me and I couldn’t get a response despite my best yelling.

Being dog lovers, my wife and I quickly agreed that leaving it there wasn’t an option. I was able to give it some water from my Camelbak as well as a treat from my dogs’ stash. That was about all it took to convince it to come with us. We took its backpack off to ease its load. The poor thing was so worn out that all it did was run from shade spot to shade spot and I didn’t have a leash on me because our dogs do well with verbal commands. I had to lean way down and guide her by her collar and because she was so worn out (I was worried about losing her right there), I had to help her over every log we encountered. My wife was hanging back with our female GSD to ease the overall stress and Odin (our big male puppy) was following the GSP everywhere. When she finally got some downhill momentum and the urge to run, she took off in a completely opposite direction; and I mean she TOOK OFF! Of course, that was on the other side of a big deadfall/burn scar area. I was able to get Sydney to take my truck keys as well as Odin (he is her puppy, after all) and run ahead with our friend to get the truck opened up and the AC running to cool the lost dog down. Here is your funny image of the day: me running almost full bore downhill through deadfall to catch up to the lost dog. I finally caught up to her and had to help her over every single downed log. It took us probably 10 minutes to cover 50 yards across the deadfall area. As soon as we hit the main trail, she took off towards my truck and didn’t argue as I lifted her up into the back seat. Syd and our friend started giving her water, and she almost cleaned us out. Syd, our friend, and I ran up to place my camera in the other camera’s spot and, after getting back to the truck, we started searching for the lost dog’s owner. We stopped every car we encountered and left notes on a few more.

We decided to head up to the popular trail head farther up the mountain on the off-chance that we’d find the dog’s owner. At a minimum, we’d leave a note at the kiosk with our phone number. Turns out that was the right decision. As we were walking towards the trailhead, we saw another GSP with a group. I asked them if they happened to be missing a dog and they said they were. I wasn’t really pleased with the fact that their dog didn’t have any ID on it, so I grilled them on its color and the contents of the dog’s backpack. I told them we had their dog in my truck and she popped right up when she heard her name! I’ve never seen a docked GSP tail wag so hard and so fast in my life. It was truly a great feeling to reunite her with her owners!

I remember watching Sydney work with us, Odin, and the GSP throughout the whole thing. She never once argued with us; she did what I asked her to do when I needed her to do it. She hustled the whole time. She was so sure-footed in the mountains today and she moved quickly up and down the trail when we put my camera in the other area, as well as when we needed to hustle back to my truck with the GSP. She out-hiked our 12-year old friend (a boy, too) on both parts of the hike, and she was carrying more weight in her pack. She understood that, if we had to keep the dog, it was a short-term thing and we would expend every effort to find its owner. She offered to make the fliers to post up. I know that she will eventually read this and I will probably print it out for a scrapbook, but I want to make sure she knows how proud of her I am! The next 6.5 weeks until her hunt gets here won’t go by fast enough! Stay tuned!!

Last edited:
I meant to update her journal last week after my son totally made my day last Monday morning. I was sitting at my desk trying to get some work done when my cell phone rang. It was our 6 year old son calling me. He said "Dad, I found your caaaarrrd! You didn't look so good in your truck, but I'm a good looker!" He was so proud of himself that he had found my missing SD card from the previous weekend. Despite my best effort to look in all the nooks and crannies of my truck with a flashlight, he found it....and totally saved me a bunch of headache and planning! Turns out there were almost 1700 pics over 2+ weeks before the batteries died. Of those, about 15 were of elk and deer. The rest were of shadows, grasses, and branches blowing. My buddy's camera has one super sensitive motion detector. The good news is that I confirmed that elk and deer (two does) are moving through the area like I thought they would be. Not in any great numbers, but we only have two tags to fill, so I only need two elk, right? My own camera is still hanging in that same spot and I will swap cards this Friday after a morning of archery deer hunting and scouting for Syd's hunt. At least now, I can check out a couple of other areas in there while deer hunting instead of going up in where the cameras are/have been hanging. The more ground covered, the better.

This past Sunday, I took the rifle I borrowed from a friend (HR Youth single shot in .243) to sight in the loads that our friend will be using on the hunt (Barnes Vortex TTSX 80 gr). Talk about a frustrating situation. I had my reservations about the scope on it (Tasco 4x fixed, pretty beat up) and those reservations turned into a nightmare. It was hitting all over the place and I couldn't get the adjustments to follow anything. I don't know if the scope is messed up or a screw or two was loose on the mounts, but I gave up after about 6 or 7 shots. While I was working on that, Sydney noticed a guy two tables down shooting an AR, but it didn't have a butt stock, just the buffer spring assembly. It also had a suppressor on it and a green dot sight. She started asking me questions about it and after I quit shooting the .243, she walked up to the guy and just blurted "That's an AWESOME rifle!" He looked at her and asked her if she wanted to shoot it! Turns out, its chambered in .300 AAC Blackout and he was shooting subsonic rounds. It had no more recoil than a .22 and you could have gotten away with shooting it without hearing protection if we weren't at a range. She shot it 4 times and was in heaven, thanking him over and over. She then proceeded to tell me that she now knows what she wants Santa to bring her this Christmas! God help me, this girl's firearm wish list is getting as bad as mine! I had to explain to her that suppressors, while legal in Arizona, are extremely expensive and quite the process to acquire. She informed me she would be saving her money...

It was hard to compete with that experience, but she wanted to shoot my Ruger Mk II again and she is getting better, although she still likes to pull the trigger fast on those semiautos! As we were driving home, I mentioned how upset I was at the scope situation. She matter of factly said "Why don't you just put the scope that originally came on my rifle onto that rifle?" I love how she thinks! When we got home, we proceeded to do just that, together. She got a good lesson in how to mount a scope and how to laser boresight it. I'll be giving up some archery deer hunting this coming weekend to make sure it worked, but that's another lesson she learned and agreed with: we have an ethical obligation to the game we hunt to ensure our rifles are properly sighted in so we don't wound and animal. I think she also sees it as an opportunity to head to the range to sweet-talk her way into shooting someone else's rifle again! :D

I also found out last week that I've been put on notice to possibly head up to Washington on a wildfire assignment. Its not a sure thing, but I need to have my gear packed and ready to go anyway. That didn't sit too well with Syd at first. She was still of the mindset that I might get killed. We had to have a long talk as a family and explain to her that, yes, what I do as a firefighter is dangerous, but the odds are definitely in my favor of coming home alive. Then I explained to her how holiday pay works if I'm gone over Labor Day and how hazard pay works on top of that. Now she can't wait for me to go, probably because she thinks I'll buy her an AR in .300 Blackout with a silencer!

If you have a moment, say a prayer for her to be strong if I head out. Also, please say a prayer for all of the wildland firefighters up in Oregon and Washington right now. Its a bad situation and I have several friends up there right now. If I do end up leaving, I'll drop a quick note on here and have my wife get Syd on to read any words of encouragement or prayers you all want to leave for her. I realized this morning as I was getting ready for work that if I don't go, I'm ok with that. As much as I want to get out on fire assignments, I have no shortage of things to do here and I'm trusting that God has other things planned for me. Her hunt is 5 weeks away and I'm one of those that starts planning 6 weeks out! I pointed out to Syd yesterday that her hunt is 5 weeks from this Friday. You should have seen the excitement in her eyes and heard it in her voice!

Another great update. If you get assigned you'll be in our thoughts and prayers and I'm sure Syd will be strong. I'd you don't get the call then you will be plenty busy scouting, hunting, and shooting rifles.

Christmas is right around the corner, better start saving for the blackout! Thx for the update

Top Bottom