Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another AZ Elk Journal

I’m sitting here at my desk and today, January 22nd, is the last day of our archery javelina season. Neither Sydney nor I had a chance to fill our tags this time. We didn’t even make it out once. We had a very limited time to hunt and the first weekend (January 1-4) was cancelled due to 12” of snow hitting Flagstaff. That wasn’t so bad because we don’t hunt here, but the areas we do hunt received 3-5” of snow and one of those areas is only 3,500’-4,000’ elevation! The weekend was supposed to be sunny and warmer, but the roads in those areas are more clay and caliche and they get super messy. Hunting in those conditions doesn’t excite me and I couldn’t bring myself to put Sydney through that. Cold is one thing we can cope with (most days), but wet, snowy, and messy is not a good way to get a 10-year old excited about hunting. We stayed home and went snowshoeing, sledding, and enjoyed our time as a family. My wife asked me to take a pic of her and the kids and it wasn’t until we got home that I realized what Sydney had done and that my wife wasn't actually looking when snapped the pic on her phone. Syd never fails to crack me up. This is also my screensaver at work so I have a constant source of smiles when things aren’t going well.

We were going to try and hunt part of the next weekend (January 9-11) working around two open league soccer games on January 10th, but she got very sick that week, running a high fever and having to miss both soccer games. She recovered nicely in time for a tournament in Phoenix this past weekend (January 17-18). This was a great tournament and our plan was to finally get out on Monday during the MLK holiday. Her team went undefeated and took the division championship for their age group! It wasn’t easy and they had to earn it, but they certainly earned it. She played goalie for a half of each game Saturday and two crazy-good shots got past her in the first game (she got a glove on both balls though), then shut down the team in the 2nd game. Saturday night’s game was against the team they played in December where she got stepped on and kicked in the head by the same girl. I happened to look over and see Syd set the tone at the beginning with a “look” and a few choice words right away. It was her goal box and she was in charge! I’m not sure where she gets that from, but I love her confidence! She played goalie all day Sunday and had a well-earned shutout in the semifinal game. Only one solid shot got past her in the championship game and she definitely commanded her goal box. I received a couple of comments from the opposing teams’ parents and that was a great feeling.

2015 CCV Tournament Champions!

On the drive home Sunday afternoon, I asked her if she still wanted to get up early Monday and go chase javelina for part of the day. I knew the answer, but I had to ask the question, keeping with my mantra of “Its her hunt, her choice, and there is no wrong answer.” She told me she was tired and sore and wanted to sleep in. I told her I understood, respected her decision, and explained that its just a javelina and they aren’t worth that much effort. Her first hunting season is over, but she’s excited for what next fall will bring. We have applied for her elk hunt and she’s chosen the same unit she hunted last September as her first choice. I gave her options for other units that have more elk, are easier to hunt (not as steep, less Wilderness Area, easier to access) that wouldn’t interfere with known soccer tournaments (Open League is a different story) and she made her choice. I have my fingers crossed that come mid- to late-March, my credit card will get another hit for the magic amount that indicates “successful draw.” We’ve been talking about options for deer and what her goals and desires are for deer season when that application period gets here. Between now and then, we have turkey season this April and May. Unfortunately, her team is entered into a tournament in Prescott the weekend of the youth hunt, but I will be able to take her out opening morning (a Friday) to an area about 10 minutes from the house where I know there are plenty of turkeys. There might be a day of school skipped the week after the tournament before the youth season closes, though! If that doesn’t work out or she isn’t able to fill her youth tag, I had the forethought to put her in for a leftover tag up on the north rim with me and we’ll go chase turkeys up there during the 2nd weekend, which is usually better up there.

This is my last big post in Sydney’s hunting journal, but I’m working with her teacher to get Sydney a classroom writing assignment that will entail her writing up the final entry with her thoughts, gratitude to all of you for the support and encouragement, and lessons learned. This is her journal and its only fitting that she wraps it up. I’m hoping that will be done in the next week or two. For me, I learned a great deal as a father and hunter. I have my favorite hunting buddy now. We are closer than we’ve ever been, and my wife and I have seen a huge transformation of a young girl into a young adult at only 10 years old. I told a group of kids in a Hunter Ed class Tuesday night that, although I only hunted a couple of days for myself in all of 2014, I had the best hunting season I’ve ever had because I got to take my daughter and I got to watcher her experience every aspect and emotion of hunting. She made very mature decisions, learned to live with decisions, experienced success even though tags weren’t filled, and experienced success through harvesting her first big game animal. I know you fathers out there, especially fathers of daughters, know exactly what I experienced and I thank you all for the support and encouragement for both me and Syd!

Our Champion!

Last edited:
Brian.

I've been following this thread with great interest for some time and thought it was maybe time to reply.

1st. Thanks for all the effort you put in with the continued updates. It's not an easy thing to do (at least for me) to take the time and type it all out and try to keep the fat finger mistakes to a minimum. Then add detail with out making anything boring. Nice job.

2nd. The suspense of "will she or won't she" kept me checking in to see if your daughter would ring up her 1st kill. Congrats to both of you for that.

3rd. The way you mentor your kids could be a lesson for many. The whole thing. Scouting, cameras, reloading. That's pretty cool and those kids will never forget that as long as they live.

My hats off to you and I hope our paths will cross someday, either here in Iowa or Arizona.

Sydney's Personal Conclusion

Thanks, Moosehunter! Sydney and I have read your post a few times and it really makes everything worth it all. Syd finally had a chance in between a busy month of soccer and school to write up her own, and our last, journal entry. I will preface this by saying this is almost all hers. I edited a couple of things to correct typos, but these thoughts are all hers and she wrote them with great organization. She asked me to type it in her for her because she's so busy. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as my wife and I did!

From Sydney:

This season has been such an experience for me, I don't know where to start. First, I would like to begin with how grateful I am to everyone that has supported me throughout the year. My dad, for never letting me give up. My mom for always looking after me and supporting me. I also want to thank all of my parents' good friends for giving me advice and comforting me in all the hardships I've been through.

Its amazing what lessons life can teach us. When I was hunting, I learned multiple of those. I've learned to be honest and self-reliant. I also learned to always remind dad to grab extra batteries before we go! But the most important thing I've learned is the ups and downs of hunting, and if you bust a stalk, you could have a dead deer five minutes later!

Since I was five, I have been dreaming about getting my first animal. I know it was a privilege, not a right. It feels so good to work hard and see what I have completed and what I have become. I know I have multiple goals for this coming season, and I would like to share them. One of my biggest goals is to get an elk. I didn't get one last year, but I will work harder to get one next time. Another one of my goals is to become a better person. More kindness, more selflessness, and more integrity. Because hunting teaches you all of those virtues.

In conclusion, this last year's hunting season was awesome! I had so much support from everyone and I am very thankful. Everything that has happened has meant so much to me, and I can't wait for next season.

Sydney

That's some good stuff there AZ! Congrats to you and your daughter AND your wife too. It's really nice to see a kid being raised so well these days!!

Syd,

Thanks for taking us along on your adventures. It sounds like you are growing up to be the kind of person that all parents hope their children will become. I'm glad that being in the outdoors has helped you learn some great values in life that you will be able to take with you anywhere you go. Give your parents a big hug and tell them thanks for the great job they are doing to raise you into the person you have become. Best of luck in the future, and continue to share your adventures with us!

Top Bottom