Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another AZ Elk Journal

Very awesome. Congrats to Syd and to you as well. Can't wait to get my kids out there and let them do it. And Syd is lucky to have a father like you to look up to.

Prepping for Javelina!

I thought I'd drop another quick update, but first I want to thank all of you for the replies and support. Syd is still smiling a month later and floating on cloud 9!

She met one of her goals this past Saturday and I had to share it. Saturday morning, she had her Girls On The Run 5k. She's done this the past two years, but didn't have the endurance to run the entire thing. That was her goal this year. I was her running buddy and told her she'd set the pace and I'd help her maintain it and motivate her to keep it. For those of you not familiar with Girls On The Run, its a very empowering program for girls, but they want it to be fun and celebrate the strengths of girls while being girls (in a nutshell). Costumes are highly recommended in the 5k. In short, she completed the 5k stopping only twice at drinking stations to get a quick drink, but she never once walked and maintained a solid pace. She had to chew me out a couple of times for setting too fast of a pace, but in the end, she finished in the top 5 of 150+ participants and our time was 30:40!

Because I'm both comfortable with my manhood and she needs to see that kind of support from her dad, I ran the 5k with a tutu, like her! I'm still so proud of how she did!! Real dads wear tutus!!

We leave next Thursday for her javelina hunt. She has a decision to make because she has a soccer game in Phoenix Saturday morning. I told her the decision was hers if she wanted to stay and hunt if we don't get a javelina Friday or come home Friday night to go the game. I've made it clear that its her hunt and her choice and there is no wrong answer.

We also just found out that we both got drawn for the archery javelina hunt in January. She's back to shooting her bow, pulling 32.5 lbs and drilling out to 20 yards. She'll be hitting to 30 yards by the time of the hunt! Stay tuned!

Glad to see one of the best threads on here continuing. Congrats to you both. Her for reaching her goal and you for helping her along way. Hopefully she doesn't have a decision to make and you can get her on a javelina on friday.

I was thinking the same thing Danny! Sure hope he didn't shave his legs for the tutu! Thanks for the update good luck on the javelina hunt

I waited to update this until after the Thanksgiving break because I wasn’t sure if we’d be out hunting this past weekend or not. Syd’s javelina tag was good through yesterday (30 Nov). She opted to stay home this past weekend to spend Saturday with her mom on my wife’s birthday. My amazing wife offered to let Syd go hunt, but Sydney really wanted some mom-daughter time. I maintained my theme this whole hunting season of “Its your choice and there is no wrong answer.”

We left early on the morning of Thursday, November 20th to head out to her unit and do some scouting of a couple of other areas in addition to the area we always hunt and find javelina. We got there in plenty of time to get the campsite we wanted, get camp set up and take off scouting. We ended up scouting the wash behind camp because Syd wanted to see if she could get a rabbit with her .22. We found javelina tracks all over the area and found a good vantage point to glass from. The hillside across from us looked great and the wash was an excellent travel corridor. We talked about options and how we couldn’t go wrong either way. She said she wanted to go to our usual spot since we always see javelina there. To be sure, we drove up to our spot and hiked up the hill to look around. I never get tired of this view and it always reminds me how much I miss the desert.

View from glassing spot. Keep that rock pile in the center left going up the hill and just below the ridge (not the one at the bottom of the wash) in mind.

0500 came early Friday morning and we both had trouble getting out of bed. We did it, but it took some coaxing on my end to get her up and moving. When I went to start my truck to warm it up, the engine light was one. I wasn’t happy to say the least, but I had an idea what was wrong (or not). Either way, I figured we’re 22 miles from civilization without phone reception. We can sit at camp with my truck maybe going to die or we can drive 15 minutes up the road and hunt while my truck maybe dies. We drove up to our spot and reached the top just at first visible light for glassing. Going into this, I was nervous because my buddy that we hunt with in January wasn’t there and he’s amazing at glassing. After last January’s hunt, I went out and bought a good tripod and binocular adapter for my Swaros. It really makes a HUGE difference when glassing. I snapped a quick picture of Sydney as she was helping me glass (using her mom’s Swaros) and within 10 minutes (by 0715), I glassed up a herd of 8-10 javelina in a “normal” spot across the canyon.

I guided Syd to them by the “rock pile” and we discussed the matter. They were about 600 yards straight across, but it takes time to hike down the hill we were on, follow the side wash to the main wash, and then hike up the opposite side. The last time we saw them, they were casually walking/feeding over the ridge. Syd made it clear she wanted to go after them.

We worked out a plan and she dropped her excess gear and grabbed her tag, license, and hunter ed card. I kept my full pack so we could field dress and carry a javelina back safely and easily. I grabbed her rifle and we were off. She kept up with my pace, although I did remember to slow it down a bit for her smaller legs and the loose granitic soil we were hiking in where every plant is thorny and hurts. We worked our way up the left side of the rock pile, using that for cover and then slowly worked our way to the ridge. Unfortunately, the javelina disappeared. We looked in all the spots that I’ve seen them and we sat and glassed a bit. I even grabbed my javelina call to see if I could get one to move. Nothing. I hated the idea of heading back across the canyon empty handed, but our gear was over there. I turned around to talk to Syd and she was smiling ear to ear. She said she had a fun stalk and understood that its part of hunting. Before dropped down the hillside, she asked if she could have her picture taken on the top of the rock pile. I handed her rifle over and, with my phone, managed to take one of my favorite pics of her ever. I couldn’t believe she could still smile and show so much confidence.

Pic of Syd. Behind her right shoulder is the ridge we were sitting on to get where we ended up.

We got back to our glassing spot and looked over the other canyon, but didn’t see anything. The cloud cover was in in and out. I looked up once to see the following clouds above us. It looked like a field of marshmallows.

After about an hour, she decided we should go to the wash behind camp and glass for a bit. The clouds broke and the sun was out. I was hoping that would have animals up and moving more. Sydney and I ended up talking quite a bit and she eventually told me that she was torn between hunting and soccer on Saturday (22nd). Her team had their last open league game that day and she commented how she felt guilty for missing so much soccer for hunting. Her heart wasn’t exactly into this hunt and she wanted to be there for her team. Again, I explained to her that its tough when you have two passions you share equally and they overlap. I told her that I understand her heart not being in it. I have a hard time getting passionate about javelina hunting. I use it as an excuse to go archery deer hunting in the same areas. I also reemphasized that its her hunt and, therefore, her choice and there is no wrong answer. Internally I was wrestling with whether or not to push her, but also knowing that hunting out here in the west, especially in this country, is rough. The last thing I want to do is burn out my 10 year old daughter. I want her to grow to love this and enjoy every moment, not look back with disdain because her dad was too tough. In the end, I honored my commitment and promise to her hunt and we packed up camp around lunch time and drove into Wikeiup for at hot lunch at the café.

Another pic of the hunt, enjoying a snack. I will always cherish these moments.

Her team won their last open league game and ended up in 2nd place in their division. Her coach kept her out of goalie to ensure her concussion had healed properly. Syd had a good shot on goal as a forward and made some great plays taking the ball away from the other team to keep it on offense. She’s a great goalie, but I love watching her aggressiveness as a forward, too. She just doesn’t quit.

Next up is our archery javelina hunt in January. She’s been practicing like crazy with her bow, pulling 32.5 pounds and hitting good out to 30 yards. A little more practice at 30 yards and any javelina we can stalk to within that range of will be joining us for the hike back to the truck! She knows that she’s first up to shoot on any javelina we stalk and she’s excited!

Archery pics.

There are no words to duly express the pride I have in the young woman, person, and hunter she has become this year. My wife quizzed us about safety and being so remote. Syd and I have always worked on safety plans and I think she impressed my wife with her answers to the “what if” questions. She may only be 10 years old, but I truly feel safe and comfortable with her should anything happen to me.

In her first year of hunting (2014), she had 4 tags: turkey, elk, deer, and javelina. She filled one of those, but put in some great effort for a 10-year old hunting out here. I know adults that won't put that much effort into what she did. I told her again this weekend that she is my favorite hunting buddy! On top of that, she’s already talking about next fall’s elk and deer tags! Our elk tag application is coming up quickly, so we’ll need to get that figured out, but I love that she’s already thinking ahead!!

You guys have everything going in the right direction and off to one heck of a start. Growing up hunting with my Dad, and still hunting together to this day, I can assure you there is no greater hunting buddy!

You guys have everything going in the right direction and off to one heck of a start. Growing up hunting with my Dad, and still hunting together to this day, I can assure you there is no greater hunting buddy!

Yeap gunny said it best. Thanks for letting us tag along and can't wait for the archery hunt.

That spot looks awfully familiar!:) You guys did great. Wished I could have made it out. I have thoroughly enjoyed the time we have spent together and look forward too many more outings. It's all about the journey, and a fine one it is.

Looks like I will have to bring plenty of snacks/food (for Syd) come January.....

BTW, nice tutu buddy!

Looks like I will have to bring plenty of snacks/food (for Syd) come January.....

I know, right?? When isn't that kid stuffing food in her mouth? :D

Syd and I have been practicing like crazy to get ready for our archery javelina hunt that starts January 1st and runs through January 22nd. She’s been shooting exclusively at 30 yards now, to work on her “long shot” and she’s been doing great, shooting baseball sized groups most days. She's currently pulling 32.5 pounds, two pounds over the minimum poundage in Arizona. As we've been practicing and talking, she asked me to include this upcoming hunt and preparation for it in her journal. She really likes the feedback you all give her.

Soccer has been keeping her just as busy with open league games and tournaments. After recovering from her concussion, she’s been working her way back into goalie and she’s been back to her usual great form (yes, I’m biased). In her December 13-14 tournament, she played tough with one whole-game shutout in her first game, but she only had a total of 3 half-hearted shots against her. If she’d missed any of those, she’d have been in big trouble! :D In her second game, she had one get past her, but she defended it right, charging against a breakaway and getting cleated in the knee in the process. It was a good shot that was defended right, but it made it to the net. Her coach put her in at forward in the second half and she tore it up, making some great plays and showing how tough she is. In her last game, she played goalie in the second half and that was the half the opposing team decided to wake up. They pounded the net hard, but Syd stayed strong and shut them down, helping her team to a 2-0 victory. She paid a heavy price, though, getting kicked in the head and her left shoulder stepped on. In true Sydney fashion, though, she stood up, ball in hand, and gave the girl an evil look with a few choice words. Not sure where she gets that attitude and competitive nature from, but I’ll take it! ;)

Amazingly smiling after getting kicked in the head and her shoulder stepped on!

As I promised her a while back, I dropped her current arrows off to get them wrapped and fletched to the colors she wanted for her hunt. I also put in her TGB lighted nocks. She loves shooting even more now. She'll be shooting 85gr Slick Tricks for her hunt. Following Murphy's Law, as she was shooting at the shop recently, the owner points out that she needs her draw length adjusted, but not until after her hunt. I knew it was coming and, of course, the adjustment will make those newly wrapped arrows way too short (about a 2” adjustment). The guys at the shop absolutely love her. We were spot shooting targets a while back when one of my buddies there offers Syd a javelina picture target to use and keep at the shop to use when she’s in there. I swear, I don’t know how I’m going to make the doors in our house any wider to fit her ego if this keeps up! :D If you are ever in Flagstaff, you need to stop by Bull Basin Archery.

Practicing video

Most of Syd’s shots have been in the vitals, with a few errant shots. Most of those errant shots have been kill-shots, though, with shots to the spine, neck, and head. She’s extremely excited for this hunt. Of course, the second weekend of the hunt (9-11 January), has two open league soccer games scheduled on the 10th. She’ll have to choose between soccer and hunting that Saturday, but she’s committed to working hard opening weekend to get it done faster. If not, I’ve been giving her ideas on other free days we can get out closer to home in one of the 5 units our tags are good for and make something work. Between now and then, we hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I know I’m excited for 2015 for another year of chasing her all over this beautiful state for soccer and hunting!

30-yard shooting. First two shots were dead on. Third shot hobbled him.

Hope you guys have a successful javelina hunt! Nice to see Sydney is practicing harder than most grown ups! Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Wow, that is one tough young lady. Congrats on the great games.
I always smile when I'm eating at Jimmy Johns :D

Best of luck on the javelina hunt. Wish I could offer some advice, but I've never done a hunt like that. Looks like fun. Hope you have plenty of game and a good shot is presented so Sydney can show us how it is done. It sure looks like she is ready for anything 30 and in1

Great stuff, you'll enjoy looking back on all of your journals in a few years when she is all grown up. Have a great hunt!

I only hunted javelina's one time, but I suspect you will likely get closer shots than the 30 yarders she is practicing now. Although I did not shoot in the end because the little piggy was a female, I had a really fun stalk once on a javelina and got to within 3 yards of it. Even though I never shot, it remains as one of my favorite hunting memories.

Top Bottom