Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

I GOT AN EXPERIENCE I WANT TO SHARE. IT WINDS UP WITH APPLES,SO BEAR WITH ME. I JUST HAD SURGERY ON MY RIGHT HAND,THAT'S WHY I'M TYPING IN CAPS.
IN THE EARLY 90'S I WAS ON A JOB BUILDING AN INDUSTRIAL RETENTION POND . IT WAS AUGUST, AND THE LOCAL CROP OF CALHOUN COUNTY PEACHES WAS STRONG THAT YEAR,AND, I WAS WORKING WITH A GROUP OF CALHOUNIANS. WE HAD PEACHES EVERY DAY WITH LUNCH,AND THREW THE PITS ON THE GROUND BY THE OFFICE TRAILER.
ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
THREE OR FOUR YEARS LATER I WAS BACK AT THE SITE AND I FOUND FOUR TREES LOADED WITH BIG PEACHES. I PICKED A BUSHELL OVER THE NEXT TWO WEEKS AND SAVED THE PITS. I WASHED THE PITS OFF,SET THEM ON TOP OF THE FRIDGE AND PLANTED THEM IN NOVEMBER. I HAD ALWAYS BEEN TOLD THAT SEEDS DID NOT PASS ON TRUE GENETICS, BUT WHY NOT TRY. IT LOOKED TO ME LIKE THEY PASSED ON ENOUGH TO MAKE A GREAT PEACH TREE. I NOW HAVE MY SECOND GENERATION OF PEACH TREES PRODUCING ,AND LAST YEAR OUR BIGGEST SWEETEST CROP EVER,BECAUSE I TRIED SOMETHING I WAS TOLD WOULD NOT BE PRODUCTIVE.
<O:p></O:p>
I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY GRAFTING. LAST YEAR I GRAFTED A JULY BURBANK ELBERTA ON TO MY SEED STOCK. I WAS THRILLED WHEN I GOT 4 OUT OF 11 TO TAKE. AND ALL I USED WAS A NEW UTILITY BLADE AND BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE.
THE POINT IS I TRIED SOMETHING I THOUGHT MIGHT NOT WORK, AND TO MY PLEASURE ,I WAS WRONG.
NOW TO THE APPLES. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD RED & GOLD DELICIOUS , GRIMES ,WINESAP ,GRANNIES IN THE YARD.PLANTED DIXIE CRISP AND PIXIE CRUNCH RECENLY,GETTING CROPS THIS YEAR. ALWAYS LOVED THEM. NEVER THOUGHT OF SAVING SEED. LAST YEAR I SAVED A SHOT GLASS FULL OF ASSORTED SEED ,BAGGED IT WITH A WET TOWEL INTO THE FRIDGE FOR 3 MONTHS. PLANTED IT IN JANUARY ,INSIDE UNDER GROW LIGHTS ,AND HAD AROUND 11 COME UP OVER THE NEXT 3 MONTHS
LOOKING AT THE SEEDLINGS ,IT'S A WONDER ANY OF THEM EVER MAKE IT ON THEIR OWN IN THE WILD . I'M GOING TO PLANT A COUPLE OF THE MORE VIGEROUS ONES NEXT SPRING AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. I WANT TO TRY GRAFTING THE REST . I'M 62.5 YEARS OLD. I HOPE I'M HERE TO SEE WHAT COMES OUT. BUT I GOT TO TRY! BUYING STOCK FROM A NURSERY IS FINE, BUT I WONDER IF WE ARE LOSING THE CONNECTION BETWEEN US AND PROPAGATING THE SPECIES. IN OTHER WORDS, HOW DID MY GRANDPA PROPAGATE HIS TREES? I'D BET HE DID NOT BUY THEM. ANYWAY, IT WON'T COST MUCH TO TRY.
I HAVE A TREE ON MY COUNTRY PLACE, THAT HAS BEEN THERE SINCE I BOUGHT FARM 23 YEARS AGO. IT ONLY PRODUCED FRUIT ONCE THAT I REMEMBER ,BUT BLOOMS EVERY YEAR. THIS SPRING WE DID A HACK SND SQUIRT ON THE SURROUNDING TREE COMPETITION. SO I'LL BREAK DOWN AND BUY ATREE FOR POLLENATION.
THATS MY STORY. I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED GOOD OR BAD.
PICS. THEY ALWAYS MAKE THE STORY BETTER.

mike

Insecticide component of whatever fruit tree spray you're using should nuke them....no diff if they're ants or aphids.

I have a lot of red ants (the ones that make the big mounds). They are on the fruit trees. I don't know if they are damaging the tree's and fruit. It appears they are eating both.

Does anybody know about this and how to get them off the trees?

thanks

Looking good! Ever consider growing those seeds in the rootmaker pots? Would create a premium root system of course. Just noticed the little cups and wasn't sure if you immediately planted them later or kept them there? Well done, looks like a lot of work that you are enjoying. I have my farms and backyard full of different trees now - rootmaker pots where I'm doing lots of trials on different trees. I bought some 5 year old trees this year that are doing fabulous as well!

Thanks. I've recently transplanted into bigger pots so i can nurse them along better. I was thinking about those root maker pots. Do you know where they can be bought?

Mike

June 2nd 2013

These trees belong to a friend for whom we manage his farm and I believe are starting their 6th growing year and finally bearing fruit!

Last year the warm weather in March followed by frosts in April spoiled any chance of getting fruit

We sprayed earlier with Bonide dormant oil spray

and will follow up with all purpose spray as time allows

We try to keep fruit tree orchards in/around feeding areas to add to the year around feeding/adaptation tactics that keep whitetails coming to single feeding areas, every day 365 days a year. An assortment of fruit and nut trees along with crops that provide a source of food a four seasons prove invaluable in a whitetail management program that includes intense timber/cover management to boot.... ;)

July 2nd 2013

Takes some time to see fruit trees bear fruit but certainly rewarding when they finally do!

This is a 3 yr Adams County Nursery tree that hopefully will loads of fruit in coming years

Apples, pears, paw paws, persimmons and more are all extremely attractive to whitetails and if planted in and around year around food sources, further enhance hunting opportunities...

Paw Paws

A friend of mine planted these paw paws from Stark Bros in 06'...trees advertised as self pollinating and no specific variety. Beautiful healthy trees that I know have received the utmost of care, yet they have not produced a single paw paw??? We'd appreciate any comments from those who have bearing paw paws on what to expect or what to think? Trees are in PA...

Some thoughts, are they flowering? If flowering, maybe not pollinators around to help create the fruit. Some people like to throw rotten, dead things closeby when flowering so can get good pollination. If grafted and all the same kind, then that could be a problem.

I know the guy..... No bloom, ever. And there's lots of other fruit trees in the immediate vicinity that do bloom and produce good fruit. I think the problem may be these are all the same variety....and you usually need a mixed variety for successful cross-pollination.

I planted two paw paws, since you should have two for cross pollination. One got ran over by the mower (and no, it wasn't me).

So I have a beautiful single tree that maybe sets half a dozen small fruit a year. That and sending up tons of shoots off it's root system.

From a website:
Although the Pawpaw is capable of fruiting in the shade, optimum fruit yields are obtained in open exposure, with some protection from wind (on account of the large leaves). Plant at least two trees for fruit production, to ensure cross~pollination. Some Pawpaw patches never fruit, because all the trees are actually clonal root sprouts from one original tree. In such cases, the patch may be made to bear fruit by planting new trees in and around it, thus providing cross~pollination.

I have Paw Paws,,Some flowers were on them this spring first time,,but it was cold, so I figured it would not happen. also they are still young. Sometimes a certain maturity has to take place before you actually get fruit. I have never read about them being,,self pollinating. I always read get two for pollination. I have twl from one company and another coming along from a separate person. I hope mine pollinate.!

The landowner contacted Stark Bros who sent the following reply:

Thank you for your email. If the trees look healthy and if they are not blooming, you can try root pruning. In the Fall, go out to the tree with a shovel and walk off the trunk of the tree out to the end of the branches. This is referred to as the dripline of the tree. Take your shovel and sink it all the way in the ground, remove the shovel but do not remove any dirt. You are making a slit in the ground to cut off some of the feeder roots. Move over a couple of feet and make another slit and continue to do this all the way around the tree. It will stress the tree, but will not kill it. This procedure discourages the tree from growing too vigorously and will encourage it to put on blossoms the next spring.

I hope this suggestion has been helpful. Please follow up with me next year and let me know how the root pruning works.

August 18th, 2013

My friend Walt's fruit trees are finally bearing fruit!

Always a good feeling after investing years of time, money and labor and seeing it come to fruition

These trees happen to be from Stark Bros and were planted 06/07 I believe

They have received a minimum maintenance but have done reasonably well

We try to plant "tree orchards" (fruit, nut and acorn) in and around feeding areas which just adds to the year around feeding attraction that keeps deer coming 24-7, 365 days a year to...one place

We establish white clover between trees but once trees get larger it's easier to mow with a lawn mower then a tractor and brush hog type mower. A clethodim/simazine/prowl herbicide mix will control most weeds and a combination pesticide/fungicide spray will help keep trees healthy and producing. Trimming/pruning will also keep trees more productive and should be on the late winter "to do list"

Start with late bearing, disease resistant trees like Liberty and Enterprise and then have fun adding a few trees each year until you have fruit from July to December... :way:

New Oaks

Just received 50 new tubes from Timber Mgmt. Excellent customer service. I am going to try 5ft conduit with zip ties and a little high strenght duct tape this time. I am anxious to get my new Chickapins in the ground come fall. Do you think the deer will have much response to 50 new tubes and conduit showing up in their plot come November?? Thanks.

Just received 50 new tubes from Timber Mgmt. Excellent customer service. I am going to try 5ft conduit with zip ties and a little high strenght duct tape this time. I am anxious to get my new Chickapins in the ground come fall. Do you think the deer will have much response to 50 new tubes and conduit showing up in their plot come November?? Thanks.

No...won't phase them a bit! ;)

Finally seeing some fruit on mine too!! Planted 07 or 08...pretty sure after looking back it was 08.

There were from Century Farms Orchard and are a mix of old heirloom varieties.

Planted earlier that fall...

TSIonHickories1.jpg

2nd year blooms

TrailCamPics006.jpg

And today...

9F6D4751-84FD-4929-8594-1D0BFA164190-2995-0000028FD5529203_zps52bc4d3f.jpg

F02EF527-6DEC-45F9-97C6-AB3114A8C389-2995-0000029007E43468_zps0e1ea777.jpg

Fell behind on a lot of the pruning work that needs done now that I am 3 hours away from the farm.

This is the result and it is not good!! Lost close to half of this tree due to poor crotch angles on that limb.

Top Bottom