Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

Do you think this was money well spent by the state of Iowa? Thousands of dollars in taxpayer money spent to get these three guys that were spending lots of $$$$ in Iowa putting in food plots and compling with the rules to their best understanding. If corn prices continue to drop and the farm bill doesn't turn out well for ethanol it could be tough sledding for Iowans in the next few years. Where does it stop?

Do you think this was money well spent by the state of Iowa? Thousands of dollars in taxpayer money spent to get these three guys that were spending lots of $$$$ in Iowa putting in food plots and compling with the rules to their best understanding. If corn prices continue to drop and the farm bill doesn't turn out well for ethanol it could be tough sledding for Iowans in the next few years. Where does it stop?

I'm guessing the attitude was sacrifice few to save many. The DNR fought hard here to make it painfully obvious that the resource is meant to be enjoyed and benefit residents as a priority. Unfortunately for them, now they might have to bite some hands that have been feeding that frenzy.

I'm a NR and I've never experienced Iowa although I intend to in the next few years. I'd like to see things stay the way they are. The DNR has done a great job at managing NR tags but from what I've read they have done it at the expense of managing the overall herd properly with an over abundance of doe tags. I'm interested to see what the picture is 5/7 years from now.

I'm guessing the attitude was sacrifice few to save many. The DNR fought hard here to make it painfully obvious that the resource is meant to be enjoyed and benefit residents as a priority. Unfortunately for them, now they might have to bite some hands that have been feeding that frenzy.

I'm a NR and I've never experienced Iowa although I intend to in the next few years. I'd like to see things stay the way they are. The DNR has done a great job at managing NR tags but from what I've read they have done it at the expense of managing the overall herd properly with an over abundance of doe tags. I'm interested to see what the picture is 5/7 years from now.

That's first sensible thing I've heard you say in this entire thread. I agree with everything you just said. Nicely done sir.

Merry Christmas to you!

Last edited:
You know, the NR land owner issue has been hashed out many times on IWT through the years. A high percentage of resident and NR hunters agree that changing the NR land owner laws would hurt us in the long run. And there is plenty of evidence to suggest that. Look at Illinois, Pike county as an example. Every year I've seen more and more private ground being leased up by people that can afford it or new outfitters that are popping up. That trend would multiply if NR land owners would get to hunt bucks every year. For those of us non land owners that depend on private land access or what little public ground Iowa has this is a good ruling.

You know, the NR land owner issue has been hashed out many times on IWT through the years. A high percentage of resident and NR hunters agree that changing the NR land owner laws would hurt us in the long run. And there is plenty of evidence to suggest that. Look at Illinois, Pike county as an example. Every year I've seen more and more private ground being leased up by people that can afford it or new outfitters that are popping up. That trend would multiply if NR land owners would get to hunt bucks every year. For those of us non land owners that depend on private land access or what little public ground Iowa has this is a good ruling.

I am sure you are correct, the number of NR would increase. Take a step back from your position as a resident hunting on private land. Do we not deserve to at least know the rules, and should they be changed every other year to make our situation worse?

The ruling is still vague on how many months are required to be in Iowa. Kids and wives (are they) required to live here, if they are (where) is that rule spelled out?

South Dakota has RV owners claim residency...so my point is each state has different rules. Residency rules should apply to hunters and non-hunters equal. There are residents of Iowa, that claim residency in Florida for tax reasons.

I used to be able to hunt my farm all year, then they took away the NR doe tags.

We can still shoot a buck every year (doe tag party hunting)-- it has to be gun. I still think there are much better options that would be acceptable to both R and NR.

Last edited:
Moose,

If your gone to use Illinois as a bench mark for quality against Iowa it might not be too good. This is my opinion and nothing more than that but I feel inch for inch Illinois is pretty darn good and or overall Better. I have first hand knowledge from there as I hunt there and here but I would never say that i would not want to do to Iowa what has happened in Illinois. I would bet overall if you took the biggest bucks year in and out from both states Illinois kills bigger deer than Iowa. Im not knocking either state but If I could hunt anywhere I wanted it would be a specific farm in Illinois. Yes Pike has a lot of hunters and some how they still manage to kill booners every year. and thats with almost unlimited archery tags and not to hard to get gun tags for both residents and non residents. also I wont metion the names but there celebs we all know here are also in some of these over hunted..laugh spots in Illinois. I have a friend who caught one athlete on his property and you all know of his name. My point is these people can buy and hunt anywhere and they are still in Illinois because its good. allowing NR landowners a tag on their land will not destroy Iowa by any means. Yes maybe it will slow down your ability to get permission for FREE. As I see it over time all peoples access is being curtailed due to many factors. Landowners get old and sell, Pressure from Media like tv put spotlights on the resource. natural factors like EHD kill deer mother natures way thus less deer being there for the masses. One piece of the puzzle will not bring down a solid house of management cards it will take more than a few. celeb or not it is not fair to overlook the rich guys and pick on lets say less financially capable people who you know cant not put up a big $$$$ legal fight.
If this is just an issue that Iowan want no NR's just make it that no one but a 'Legal' Iowan (however you define it) can deer hunt at ALL.

Why allow any outsider to hunt? Is that not the next step? Its harder than ever to get a NR tag. The state has already dipped into whatever money making pot they can think up..like the late shed buck season. There are not many other Plan B and Plan C options to drive dollars than allowing NR a landowner Tag.

I'm too old to say always and never much anymore but in this case I think Iowa will NEVER allow a NR landowner TAG EVER. If the landowners think they cant find just as good of hunting somewhere else they just have not looked hard enough. Buy me a Filet at Bogies in Albia and I will point you in a few directions and save you thousands $$$ in legal fees. Name of this thread should be IT's Quiet no longer!!! Man, Time to looks for some sheds.

Last edited:
Personally, as a NR landowner keeping the regs the way they are maintains the mystique of hunting in Iowa and makes drawing a tag that more valuable. I love hunting in Iowa but I also bought as an investment. Those who think keeping NR landowners at bay is a good thing only increases the land value IMO. Basic economics is taking away the demand decreases value and vice versa. When I'm hunted out I hope to sell and settle down comfortably. Thanks to the anti NR landowner faction making it possble.

Goarmy, to comment on your "one piece of the puzzle statement"...in tree work we refer to that phenomenon as the mortality spiral. It works like this, a tree is weakened by drought (I.e. your 1 piece of the puzzle) and insects move in. The bugs don't kill the tree but they weaken it a little more until finally, a pathogen is able to attack it and the tree dies. Technically the drought didn't kill it but it opened the door for what eventually did. I would rather not open that door where deer hunting is concerned.

Last edited:
Iabwhntr, your above comment is ok if you're right. Hopefully the guy in the mirror isn't opening the door.

I am a nr and last year I was granted my dream of coming to hunt in the late muzzy season. I did not shoot a deer and had saw several that I could have taken a risky poke at. Most were bigger than any michigan deer I have shot. When i was younger doe tags were a lottery and it was talk of the town if you got one. We now have almost no restrictions on the number killed each year. The deer numbers are almost non existant in places. The car deer numbers went from 20 or so a night getting hit to like one or two. I see that many are looking to go to other place on this sight to hunt too. Not everyone is a a'!?\le that is not from iowa. I am a part time fruit farmer and work hard. It is just different. I was lucky enough to draw another tag this year. I dont have a fancy lease or anything like that. I am not looking to take away any resource just an opportunity to dream all year and might steal a lasting memory or two. We areall sportsmen and i will wish you luck and pat you on the back for a good one. The biggest poachers and violaters are your friends and neighbors most are nit going to come to a foreign area and do something bad. Just remember not all out of staters are doctors lawyers ect so get to know them if they are a jackazz then treat them as such. Thanks looking forward to spending time in your fine state.

I spent 40 yrs hunting in MI,,,south and up north. What you said about what has happened to MI deer pop is correct. I saw it before I left, Unlimited doe permits up north. What you need to do is marry an Iowa girl. Like I did! Never thought I'd be living in Iowa, with Iowa hunting, but that's how it turned out. The drum beat on does all the time out here ,,reminds me of MI. Hope it doesn't go the same way!

I spent 40 yrs hunting in MI,,,south and up north. What you said about what has happened to MI deer pop is correct. I saw it before I left, Unlimited doe permits up north. What you need to do is marry an Iowa girl. Like I did! Never thought I'd be living in Iowa, with Iowa hunting, but that's how it turned out. The drum beat on does all the time out here ,,reminds me of MI. Hope it doesn't go the same way!

Wow, all that typing and no mention of drought. I'm shocked. :D

Merry Christmas. ;)

Merry Christmas back! Hey,,Now that you mention it, Still the same weather pattern. Plunges of Artic air,,,little moisture. Most of the Central and southern Plains are snow free.:)

went to a party the other night and ran into a guy who said he went to Pa deer hunting this year. He killed a Nice buck and they got a bear in the same day. He said he had not been there in 10 years because there were no deer. Then he proceeds to tell me that killing the does is what ruined it there and he quit going due to lack of deer. He said the neighbors took the bull by the horns and decided to not shoot ANY more does on 2 to 3 thousand acres. Now the landowner said he sees lots of deer and this guy said it was like night and day deer sighting wise compared to the last time he was there. And the state regulations are still the same.

GOARMY. Your missing my point I think. I know Illinois has good hunting. I know Pike county is a top spot. Probably one of the best money can buy. But if I bought an Illinois tag for next year and wanted to hunt Pike county what are my odds of getting on some private ground by just knocking on doors and asking? Pretty low is my guess. And I think that is a bad thing for hunters in the long run, and here's why.

I bet most everyone on here was taught to shoot and hunt by their dad or at least a mentor. Me and my brothers learned to shoot at and old abandon quarry. Then dad took us squirrel hunting where we further sharpened our marksmanship and little did we know at the time but started to learn to "hunt". When I introduced my son's to hunting I did it pretty much the same way my dad showed me. None of this is unique.

Twenty years or so ago I took my deer kids hunting on land I had permission to hunt on. That land changed hands and I had to moved on. After searching for a few years for just the right spot I ended up where I am to this day. Even though the two farms I hunt on have not changed owners, the property around them have. One is a large piece (1400 acres) of deer heaven. The owner is a NR who I don't think even hunts. At least I've never seen him there. The property is managed by his dad and he does hunt. I don't begrudge those guys at all. In fact I envy them for their good fortune to have the resources to do all of that. The point is, for years more than just a handful of people used to hunt that property. Now only a select few have access.

A year ago I didn't think it would hurt to branch out and maybe search around for some new ground. Not that I'm going anywhere yet but it never hurts to have a plan B. So after pouring over maps I had some spots I wanted to check on so I started knocking on a few doors. One area I really liked I found out had been leased up by and outfitter. This guy had every farm in the valley sowed up. I didn't even know there was an outfitter selling hunts in that part of the county.

I've been fortunate so far with having a place to hunt. Having a place where I can take my kids and even a few NR friends I've met here on IWT. But I can see the writing on the wall with access to private land. It probably won't effect me much. I have another 10 years or so of good hunting in me then I'll be more interested in sitting on the beach in a tropical climate with a cold Carona than sitting in a tree stand. But my kids and my grandkids will never have it as good as we had it and I think that is a bad thing for hunting.

Will the Iowa's NR landowner and NR tag limit stop the loss of private land access for hunters? Probably not. Are they a pain in the ass for the NR? Yes. But in this case I feel the inconvience for a few outweighs the greater good for many.

Moose--I hear you, I really do. I used to have a dozen pheasant farms in MN that we could hunt every weekend when I was young. Every one is off limits, with the exception of maybe one during the late season. Finding a deer hunting spot is impossible, and it has nothing to do with NR (they don't hunt here) it is supply and demand amongst people in our state.

I used to love to be able to hop around property to property, but those days are over in MN. Our deer hunting is about a 4 on a scale of one to 10.

Iowa, I will say, is better about getting permission from my perspective. This is southern Iowa that I am referring to. Now, I don't think that will be the case forever, therefore, I am not sure if the NR landowner tag will make much difference in 10-20 years. Short term...maybe a bit.

Buying and leasing is and will be the future in all states, I'm afraid it is just the way it is. I made a real effort when I was young to save up for hunting land, and now own farms in MN and Iowa. I have assured access to ground for my kids.

For the first few years, I would argue on IW for more buck tags. Right now, I would actually prefer to see more doe tags available to landowners so we can manage our deer herd. The +1 preference point that was floated on this site, in my opinion is the best idea I have heard. It would not flood the market with new buyers, as each landowner would still have to draw a tag.

Last but not least, can you gain access to the large parcel owned by the NR?
Trade-offs? Party hunt during the shotgun season, etc...

Anyway, let's hope we can all hunt good property in the future!

Last edited:
The hunting is better on the other side of the fence. I found this out when I wss talking to a fellow hunter who was next to me. We met on the fenceline and we both said we wished we had access to.the others property. It was funny.

I think Iowa would be better off if they just created a NRLO license that would allow the owner to hunt his property each year with a bow or gun and shoot one buck and a doe. This would eliminate almost all the questionable-residents and the witch hunt that is now occurring. Do you think it is in the best interest of Iowa to keep chasing these guys?

I think Iowa would be better off if they just created a NRLO license that would allow the owner to hunt his property each year with a bow or gun and shoot one buck and a doe. This would eliminate almost all the questionable-residents and the witch hunt that is now occurring. Do you think it is in the best interest of Iowa to keep chasing these guys?

Have you read any of this thread? lol

Yes, it is definitely in the best interest of Iowa to prosecute anyone that is violating game laws.

Top Bottom