Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

City deer and MY story!

Alright I'm gonna spit it out, if we have soooooo many problems with deer in the city why do they charge $12 or stupid amounts to kill each doe?? Why not charge a $1 and get the "so called" problem taken care of. from what I know most hunt the city to join th big race to get a buck tag...Thats alotta money to kill a TAME buck in most areas.. and you may not even get a tag....The other thing I feel is a waste is shooting these city bucks. They are'nt the problem, it's the does everywhere right? Why not close the buck hunting and leave them for shed hunters or whatever... I think our system is messed up big time, I have a few buddies that have been sucked into the million dollar buck tag ploy already. it's just plain dumb...... This will probably start a riot (let's hope not) but O well, I just wanna here the thought of everyone.... mostly the real woods hunters.

Re: City deer and more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not close the buck hunting and leave them for shed hunters or whatever... I think our system is messed up big time, I have a few buddies that have been sucked into the million dollar buck tag ploy already. it's just plain dumb...... </div></div>

If you pull out the buck incentive, you are going to have a whole lot less hunters out there trying to thin doe population.

Like you said, most guys are in it to try and get that buck tag.... not all of them, but a lot of them are.

You could move to Iowa City where we hire White Buffalo to shoot them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Lets be real, if there were no buck incentive (everywhere) 90 percent of the guys on here would not be hunting deer. I dont believe anyone is going to plant foodplots,fight over property and put all the time in to just shoot a doe. Shooting city deer was created to get rid of deer, when cars are running them over left and right I have never met one person who gave a crap about what kind of deer they hit. The tags should be $1, why? Because when you can shoot them at 10 feet in a golfcart it means it should be search and destroy, everyone I talk to around here likes to see deer in thier yard (not 20-30). Just my two cents.

I know a few guys that urban hunt and they don't have a problem paying the $12 and its better than the $20 that Nacho pays. If they took the buck tags away, there wouldn't be hardly anyone urban hunting. If someone shoots 20 does out of one urban spot why not let them shoot a buck? And like Randy said DSM could hire snipers to shoot them.

Interesting, so when everyone says "I'm not a trophy hunter" they are full of $hit... All these guys are doing is horn hunting.It's a dubble edge sword of BS. Why has'nt there been a POLL asking who is really doing it for the antlers??? I'll answer that... Cause nobody wants to sack up and admit it. I can see if you dont have land to hunt or flat out just cant kill a buck in the real woods, but come on... Everyone wants to kill big horn, PLAIN AND SIMPLE! I do, I want nothing less, But I rather have the challenge of smacking one that does'nt see joggers and bikers everyday.. or feeds from a birdfeeder." Ya, thats a trophy. People paying all this money just to get to a buck is wrong. So when you do take away the buck tag and people back off of killing the females, that just goes to show how much they REALLY care about people dying in car accidents from deer!..THINK ABOUT IT.

i have participated in several city hunts, and ill shoot you strait, it aint a gimme! i hunted it to get a jump start on my season, i had NO buck incentive whatsoever, i just did it cause i enjoyed shooting does.

it is no different that hunting a low pressure area out in bfe, in fact, i watched them behave in ways i never saw in the woods, i watched joggers, bikers, dogs, walk 5 yards away from a deer that froze, absolutely motionlessly, as they were just inside the woods and the passerbys never saw it. these deer are conditioned to human presence and when a human crosses the line of mowed path to timber (the deer's turf) they know it and react.

as far as the buck thing, we all would like more antlers, i wont lie, but to call these deer pets or stupid is not something i agree with. it may be easier because of the closer quarters of the hunt, but they are still free ranging wild animals that have all the same instincs as rural deer.

ive been there, killed urban deer, and even struggled to do so from time to time. it aint a gimme, and a good program we should support. i see no point in taking credit away from a hunter who kills 12-18 does a year that earns him a buck tag. it aint high fence, and it aint a gimmie

I hunt mainly for the meat, I have 7 children at home to feed so I would have to say I really enjoy hunting and sure every mans dream to get a trophy but lets get realistic it's about survival if we dont take care of our families who will. Besides my heart dont pound as much when I shoot a doe. Good luck fellas hope ya get your trophy.

More power to the guys that shoot alotta females.... but a buck you can toss a rock at in ur back yard to scare away..... I smell something and it's not wild. Thw wildest it gets is MAYBE Waterworks... where it began.... and I can go down there anytime of the year and dump one with a slingshot, weak.

What do you mean by "Real Woods Hunters" ? Do you mean people that have a list of wildlife violation convictions? the people that have lost their hunting privelages? or do you mean the people that tresspass not only shed poaching, but shooting deer on land they do not have permission? Or.... do you actually mean the people that obey and respect the laws set by the state of Iowa & the DNR whether they are hunting in the city or 100 miles from here?

So are the sheds you find in city limits less then the sheds out in the wild???

Because you sure seem to brag about them plenty on here for being from stupid tame city bucks that you can kill with a slingshot...

i hunt both city and country deer where i hunt in the city limits i can gaurantee you the deer are no easier than in the country. i hunt large chunks of land that have been hunted before they started allowing city hunting bean fields corn fields huge timber.not everyone follows the rules.i can guarantee i would not hunt in town if i did not have a chance at a buck tag.but i have shot 10 does for every buck that i have killed in town.i have about $200.00 invested for two extra buck tags plus all the work dragging them out.if they sold extra buck tags to residents for 100.00 each alot of people would buy them.

i could hunt in yards to shoot does but i wont i couldnt imagine dragging deer across the neighbors yard.ill pass but to be honest i have shot alot more buck in the country than in town.i got to start hunting sept 13 this year 2 weeks before we get to start statewide.ive killed two bucks now when statewide hunting was closed, last year on jan 17th and i killed one last friday sept 19th.it gets me in the woods when i dont have nothing else to do.
what i dont like is how easy the proficancy test is .i know alot of people that have there kids hunting in town who have never been hunting.i dont agree with that.also here the insurance companies give the city money to buy our tags.

Ha, ha... I never gloated about a shed, and never will but I did close many people's books on " is this guys BS or not".... The sheds are easier to find tho. Fresh back yards, ya know , the easy terrain.

All we need is a few more derr trotting thru back yards with arrows stuck in them, then it will b case closed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha, ha... I never gloated about a shed, and never will but I did close many people's books on " is this guys BS or not".... The sheds are easier to find tho. Fresh back yards, ya know , the easy terrain. </div></div>

bs_sign.gif

Looks like you are holding some of those sheds in your avitar... that you aren't bragging about or never did..

Top Bottom