Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

City deer and MY story!

Re: City deer and more.

My plea for cheaper urban tags do not come from thinking $12 is too much to pay. It's a great price, it's just that in the lion's share of the central Iowa zone (can't speak for other areas), you simply use county antlerless tags at the same price and take all the does you want during regular bow season instead. WHY would you sit through two nights of special training and then go take a separate shooting proficiency test on top of that? All of which costs more money. So what I'm trying to say here is that most people aren't going to wade through the red tape and added expense because it's simply not necessary to do so. <u>HOWEVER </u>, if there were some incentive or draw to pull more people into the urban hunt, such as lower $$ tags than they could otherwise acquire, I think they'd get more buy in potentially. The only true good this thing is doing is in the few isolated areas where hunting is made allowable where it otherwise would not be that are inside city limits. Those areas though are very small and scattered when you look at the boundaries for the entire urban hunt area which consequently spans from DeSoto west of DSM to Mitchelville east. From north of Polk City down to south of Norwalk. That's one HECKUVA bunch of miles. There's probably some people from this site that didn't even realize they were in the urban hunt I'd dare guess. I don't feel the program is currently serving it's desired intention other than lowering numbers in certain small pockets. The reductions need to occur on the outerlying areas and much of the span between since this is where the migration is coming from. I realize mine is a separate argument from the original, but I recently had some experience with all this, so it seemed applicable to the urban hunt discussion ongoing. I'm a fan of the urban hunt idea. I just think it needs some tweaks.

WOW!!SOME INTERESTING READING THERE,THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS THAT I JUST LOVE THE OUTDOORS NO MATTER WHER I AM SO WHEN IM BOWHUNTING ON A BEAUTIFUL MORNING OR EVENING AND I SEE THAT AWESOME BUCK OR DOE WALKING TOWARD ME THE LAST THING ON MY MIND IS HOW MUCH I PAID FOR MY TAGS!

i know I'm new here and mean no disrespect but there isn't a real woods hunter on this site! no matter how hard we try we will never be. we all drive a pickup to hunt for a few hrs on a full stomach, and we return to a warm house, we decide how and when to hunt by how we feel that day. as for shooting city slickys its up to you to make your own decision. for example i dont think im a bone hunter but i do have several nice mounts, last yr i shot 12 does the year before 9, iguess i dont see what the fuss is about

starwars.gif
A good debate...but I will say that being in the woods means different things to different people. Fun to hear everyone's perspectives.

I've done the urban for a few years. I have been fortunate enough to acquire one of these buck tags you have referred to. I have never put one on a buck.
I got into this hunt with a freind that I used to travel with to southern Iowa to hunt. Well times change, kids grow older and so do we. The free time goes more to our families. We discovered this hunt and fopund out it works well for us to get together more times during the year. The hunt is based between where we both live and is am equal amount of drive time for us to get there.
As for your ASSUMPTION of these deer being tame, they are far from it where I am allowed to go. They get bumped and push out onto private property just like any other deer. Many hunters in small spaces, stands on top of each other. After the first weekend these deer are well educated and move onto private properties where they stay.
As for the idea of letting the bucks go, why let someone that hasn't helped try to control a population problem be ALLOWED to even pick up sheds? I think if your not putting in the time to help out, then stay home in the spring and let the guys that spent the time and money be rewarded for their hard work. Yea- let's say you have to be on an urban hunter certified list to remove sheds from urban areas. Why should any Tom Dick or harry be allowed to just run free in the spring and pick up sheds?

I guess I would compare this to someone that travels to different spots to fish. Why don't people just stay in their own neighborhood and continue catching bluegills? Awe, it's too much fun landing that big walleye on the Missippi.

As for the price, that's beyond me. Perhaps theres more overhead than a person thinks for doing the paperwork, studies etc. Wish they were cheaper, but hey a person doesn't have to do it if they don't want to.

Lastly, good luck to any of you involved in these hunts this year. I know by experience everyone in these hunts work hard to earn their right to hunt ground by knocking on many doors, making phone calls and dealing with people that would like to see it fail. Thanks!

P.S. When I smack my urban buck this year I will be sure to post it on here /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean by "Real Woods Hunters" ? Do you mean people that have a list of wildlife violation convictions? the people that have lost their hunting privelages? or do you mean the people that tresspass not only shed poaching, but shooting deer on land they do not have permission? Or.... do you actually mean the people that obey and respect the laws set by the state of Iowa & the DNR whether they are hunting in the city or 100 miles from here? </div></div>

?????????

what's this all aboot? </div></div>

He knows exactly what it's about.

It's great how one can THRIVE on another so much, that one will do soooo much free research to stir a pot... It's great! ... and old at the same time. I will be forever eched in your mind 180, till the end..... don't that suck /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

What is sad about the urban hunts is the dishonesty that is displayed by people for the buck tag. That is why you have to notch the ear now because the same doe was being checked in so many times. I hope Coralville starts notching the ears like DSM. The police barely look in your pickup when you check a doe in. All you have to do is swing by a few times with that doe and you get your buck tag while the city thinks they have 5 fewer deer. It never shocks me the length people will go to for an extra buck tag. I have a hard enough time trying to fill one.

As much as some of his posts can strike a nerve, he brings up a good point. What the city hunt does offer are more deer in a more confined area. That allows for greater odds. I wouldn't call any of the deer tame, as humans still mean danger to the animals. However, I would say they are more tolerant of people. Mainly because of scent. They are used to the scent of humans. (In some urban spots more so than others) Don't get me wrong. Deer smell people in the city quite often, but the sight of a person will still send them bolting the majority of the time. One thing that does change is the sport of archery. You're still shooting the bow the same way and still using your judgment to make ethical shots. All the does I shoot I either donate, or process myself. We keep the freezer full year round. Helps our budget and makes for a good dish to watch football with. As far as the buck incentive goes, I have no problem with it. If you draw a buck tag, awesome. If not, like 250 says, that's just another set of sheds waiting to be found.

There are alot of deer that hang out at my friends koi pond in CR over by Bertram Road. My brother-in-law lives over on Mt Vernon Road and his backyard is full of deer and turkeys. On the north side of CR out by me on I-380 there are dozens of deer that hang out in the bean/corn fields. Crossing the interstate every day and I usually see fresh deer v/semi or car kill every day. I would love to hunt that area, but its city limits.

So can someone provide me with a link or information on how I can go become eligible for city hunting? I could not find it on the DNR website. Id be more than happy to take the 2 nights course and shooting proficieny, and I really only want to hunt does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So can someone provide me with a link or information on how I can go become eligible for city hunting?

</div></div>

Greg,
Does this help?

CR Urban Deer Info

Bow only, ok now I have pie in my face. :p

Too bad they don't let some of us military marksmen have a go at these deer on the outlying areas. Sniper action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Too bad they don't let some of us military marksmen have a go at these deer on the outlying areas. Sniper action.</div></div>

I could be wrong, but wasn't that done in Iowa City and it was extremely expensive and they didn't kill anywhere near the numbers that the bow hunters did in CR?? I'm asking, not starting rumors here... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gladiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I could be wrong, but wasn't that done in Iowa City and it was extremely expensive and they didn't kill anywhere near the numbers that the bow hunters did in CR?? I'm asking, not starting rumors here... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Yes, they do it in Iowa City (every year) and they are successful shooting deer over bait with HP rifles (they continue to shoot until their quota is filled). Yes, it is expensive to the taxpayers, somewhere around $120-140K/year. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it is expensive to the taxpayers, somewhere around $120-140K/year.</div></div>
Id do it for free /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do hunt urban deer, my property sits on the edge of the city where a new by-pass cut through the property. Now the land is inside city limits, but there are no houses around so the deer are not tame, but I have been to other property that you can mow your yard and the deer are 30 feet away eating and dont seem to care your there. Now these are areas where the people complain about too many deer, so here's a thought, if the population is that high in an area instead of paying snipers to shoot them let someone jump through all the hoops to get on a list, pay $100 for the whole season and let them shoot as many deer as they can. check the deer in and keep flinging arrows! (also where I live you use the tags you buy for archery season for urban hunts as long as the police chief oks your land is safe to hunt) buck/or does. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

This is a good topic(s). Obviously city deer are easier to kill, but so are big woods bucks on say something like a Drury Ranch etc......The snob in me wants to kill a buck on DIY public land hunts, but given the opportunity to hunt 2000 acres managed or a good city hunt, I'm there!

T250...not trying to be a smart ass here, but isn't the mystical T250 that you were talking all about when you joined our ranks a city buck that lived on afootball field sized lot in the city?

just food for thought:
A collared doe was shot in waterworks last year. She was collared in 1996. She was 11.5. I think the hunt has gone on that long and she was collared there. They aren't all stupid. She was a true survivor and I think a trophy in her own right.
The hunt is the only chance some guys have to get out and use their archery tackle. I hear it more and more each year from different guys how they have lost land to this or that. I think it's great that they get to escape their day to day lives and commune with nature in whatever form. Hopefully we don't all lose that right someday. That would make this conversation seem truly stupid, and a huge waste of time. My hats off to all you guys. Have a great season, and try to get some sleep in the next couple days! Here we are arriving again at our favorite time of the year!!!

Best of luck guys!!!!

Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> People paying all this money just to get to a buck is wrong. So when you do take away the buck tag and people back off of killing the females, that just goes to show how much they REALLY care about people dying in car accidents from deer!..THINK ABOUT IT. </div></div>

I would say if you live in the city, you should take out as many does as you can to back up the statement made there...as long as it is within walking distance from your house. You know, there are probably more people killed on the roads each year from Drunk Drivers than by deer. Think about that!!!

Top Bottom