Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Dbltree, sorry to bug you on this, I just want to be clear on this. The treflan I'll be using is 2 #s active ingredient for every 10 #s of product. The label calls for 1# of product for every 1300 sq. Ft. For half an acre I was planning on using around 20 #s of product. Does this sound about right?

Okay, now I see the reason for the confusion. The product I'm using is in granular form and I'll be broadcasting it. I should have been more clear.

Dbltree, I managed to get the clover in the ground thursday. I overseeded the alice with a couple. Pounds of ladino. I applied innoculant to the ladino seed with some citris pop, is that going to hurt anything? After I did this I read on a post somewhere in this thread to use water and not soda. Thanks! I'll get some pictures up after the clover hopefully comes up.

Last year I planted WI Imperial clover, I know it was a rookie mistake, when planting I used Delta Ag seed coat and the plot turned out good and is doing good again this spring. This year in some new plots I'm using resolute and ladino, that I got from a local dealer. I also will be applying inoculation that I got from Welter Seed. We've fertilized and limed per soil test results but have this question, does anyone have an opinion about whether or not applying Delta Ag seed coat will help or harm? Is it good insurance or just another scam/waste of money?

Last year I planted WI Imperial clover, I know it was a rookie mistake, when planting I used Delta Ag seed coat and the plot turned out good and is doing good again this spring. This year in some new plots I'm using resolute and ladino, that I got from a local dealer. I also will be applying inoculation that I got from Welter Seed. We've fertilized and limed per soil test results but have this question, does anyone have an opinion about whether or not applying Delta Ag seed coat will help or harm? Is it good insurance or just another scam/waste of money?

I have never used it so I can't honestly say but I suspect it's not needed yet not harmful either. Try some with and without and share the results with us :way:

April 16th,2011

By late winter deer had scraped the Alice white clover literally to the dirt making one wonder if the clover could recover?

C2-1.jpg

but unlike some of the over priced, less resilient "Buck on a Bag" clovers....Alice is indeed recovering!

CIMG2513.jpg

Where it was not damaged as badly it is already putting on rapid growth and still being grazed heavily.

CIMG2514.jpg

Good quality white clover is not cheap but...it's also not expensive compared to the highly advertised clovers that promise "Magic in a Bag"....;)

I've been planning on planting white clover/oats this weekend, but it doesn't look like mother nature is going to cooperate. Between the kid's soccer and baseball its going to be hard to find a weekend in May to plant. I've been looking through this post but haven't seen anything about when is it too late to spring plant clover? Any suggestions about how late into spring to plant vs. just giving up for the spring and waiting to fall plant with rye? I'd like to get more spring/summer food in, but am also willing to wait until fall.

I've been planning on planting white clover/oats this weekend, but it doesn't look like mother nature is going to cooperate. Between the kid's soccer and baseball its going to be hard to find a weekend in May to plant. I've been looking through this post but haven't seen anything about when is it too late to spring plant clover? Any suggestions about how late into spring to plant vs. just giving up for the spring and waiting to fall plant with rye? I'd like to get more spring/summer food in, but am also willing to wait until fall.

You can plant well into summer but hat comes with risk of drought problems so just keep that in mind. Yet another example of why I avoid spring seedings...;)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Options for flooded out clover

I planted 1.5 acres of alice white clover and rye as per your recomendation. My ground is very low bottom along the a creek near the Ohio river that floods EVERY spring usually between late Feb and early April. When the Ohio rises the water flows backward up the creek and floods the land. Usually it is flooded for a week in March and is usually plantable by mid to late May. Once dry in May, crops do well on it.

I have learned the hard way that frost seeding does not work very well if the field is flooded for extended periods of time after seeding and before warm up.

With really heavy March and record April rain, my field was under water for 16 days and then after a week has been underwater for another 10 days and counting. Most of the field was under 2-6 feet of water with the low spot under 10'.

My options are

1. Let it go for sping and have no food source other that random weeds. Spray round up in August to kill weeds and plant rye, Ground Hog FR and alice white / Alsike clover mix around labor day.

2. Plant Alice white clover and Alsike clover mix in mid May at the earliest. It sounds like Alsike survives flooding very well for a clover. I was thinking about 4 lbs alice and 4 pounds Alsike per acre. This will give a food source for spring and fall (hopefully).

Any suggestions? Any better ideas.

Thanks for you help.

Andy in Ohio

I would plant in the fall to avoid problems with wet spring soils and then the established clover might stand a chance when it floods. Otherwise a short term summer crop like oats and berseem clover might work better for you.

Options for flooded out clover

Have you considered Birdsfoot Trefoil?

From what I've seen, some folks swear by it, while others swear at it...

pros:
- does well in wet areas
- university studies conclude it holds protein value better than alfalfa (for grazing)
- doesn't yield as much as alfalfa, (about 2/3) so over time should require less fertilizer, less maintenance/cutting
cons:
- seems to be round-up resistant and can take over areas if allowed (to prevent this you would have to cut it about 2-3 times per year to keep it from going to seed (about 70 days of growth)
- might be more work than clover, stands stay healthy when allowed to reseed every couple years

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/barrycty/factsheets/improvingpastureswithbirdsfoottrefoil.htm

Birdsfoot Trefoil?

Here in Iowa deer rarely touch BFT although given no other option such as in forested areas with no other food sources, they will then feed on it.

BFT exists on my farms probably from decades ago when it was pastured and it does not like low wet areas so I doubt it would survive the kind of flooding mentioned in this case. It does do well on poor clay subsoils where other plants don't do well so worthy of consideration in those cases.

Sometimes one does have to try several options and see which one works best but I suspect alsike clover will be a better option in this case...;)

Dblree & DH1 - Thanks for the help.

I will wait until August to spray roundup and disk and do rye, oats, GHFR, and Alice white clover. For 1/2 the plot I will use Alsike clover instead of Alice White in the section that gets flooded the most to see how it works.

Is there anything I could plant in May (alta sweed red clover or Berseem or alsike or ??) to have a food source for 3 months before I spray with roundup in August to plant the mix above?

I have an ATV with a small disc and a sprayer so I can't disc under anything substantial. It has to be dead and dry. I don't have a mower but can pay a neighbor to mow if really needed.

Any of those would work but oats and berseem clover make a great summer food source and cover crop. Easy as pie to plant...scratch it up and plant! :way:

Top Bottom